New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out bird hunting today with the kids, we stopped and talked to a few lads who were hunting but mostly bagging Bud Lite. "Not a great day for birds but great for drinking!" was a reply I received from one. Then he proceeded to say that rye would be coming out soon to keep warm. Nice, real nice!

After meeting these fellows and informing my children that what they were doing is very wrong, the idea for this topic popped into my head. Drinking and hunting ranks right up there for stupidity reign but I have witnessed a few other gems as well, especially in deer season. For some reason, deer hunting brings out the green eyed monster and has some, otherwise wonderful people, leave their brains, ethics and common sense at home.

A couple that comes to mind:

Sighting your rifle in, in area where someone is deer hunting;
Blocking a road that has many miles of hunting for many;
Putting a stand really close to where others have one;

And many more! I would love to hear what you have experienced!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I supervise crews in the woods and I LOVE IT when people ignore our no hunting signs and try and hunt right in around the machines and men working. I have to ask at least 6 or 7 guys each year to leave - the analogy I use is - where do you work? How would you like it if I came and sat at the end of your desk with a 30/06 and watched you work?
Also the guys who think they are in the sticks and can shoot wherever they want, just because its a rural area - I have , on two occasions had guys shoot bucks off my lawn, shooting toward my house! Both were caught and charged, but were really not under the impression that they had done anything wrong. A little respect and sense can go a long ways. 99.9% are good, just a few bad apples.

·
Registered
85 Posts
not too be argumentative by any means, but when you say that people leave their ethics and common sense at home you may be correct but there could be certain underlying factor.

I hunt and maintain a 200+ acre mature woodlot that is owned by my grandfather. Its not posted at all and we actaully maintain the bridge in order to allow the snow mobilers/4 wheelers to get over the stream. But for today as an example i received a permit to allow me to site in my rifle just for a last minute adjustment. Did i go through the whole 200 acres to make sure nobody was bow hunting; not a chance. Next week if i drop or bump my scope will i set up a target in the different area of the woodlot to make sure she is still sited in, yes! If i drive out my logging road to an area that i wanted to get out and check out, im sorry its a dead end road anyways and your going to have to turn around. So my point by this was that the factors you have listed as unethical in my case i wouldnt see it by anymeans to be unethical. im one of the most ethical hunters around and i dont have green eyes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
but hey lefty, that really does grind me when i see someone boozing while crusing for birds, makes me feel real safe out there. Especially when you know those empty cans dont end up making there way out of the woods when theyre done.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bushslayer,

By no means are you argumentative!I totally see your viewpoint and understand your scenario and again, different scenarios mean different viewpoints. In my case, My vehicle was parked at the bottom of a field and everyone knows who hunts in this area that if a vehicle is parked there, someone is hunting. Beside the field is a mini pit and this particular individual seen my vehicle, turned by it and right before dark, started shooting. Unfortunately for me, the gun was quite off and required quite a few shots!

Cudos to you and your family for maintaining the bridge on your property!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must be sleepy! I forgot to add to my last post, the person in question has hunted in this area for quite sometime and is well aware of the field and has hunted it himself.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I also work in the woods and quite a few times I have brought the forwarder to the road and there has been a guy in an orange coat/vest with a rifle standing (not really a hunter) @ the top of a wood pile. Always they're "just looking over the chopping" GREAT idea with a bunch of guys with power saws working @ the end of it. AWESOME idea

There was 1 time when I came out on the road and a guy with a rifle proceeded to tell me how I was ruining the woods and how he had been hunting here for 15yrs and I was wrecking his best hunting ground!

I asked his name because my Dad has owned this property for 25 years and I hadn't met him before. He left without telling me his name .... don't figure.

I remember 30+ yrs ago our neighbour's son came into our backyard where my sisters and I were playing on the swingset and he braced his rifle against it and shot a deer in the field. Dad went up to visit that night when he got home from work after Mom told him what happened.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
a couple years ago in a field just up the road from my parents place...2 guys driving a jeep right across the field shooting at 2 deer that were in the corner...yup shooting at deer in a moving vehicle, and if that isn't bad enough there are at least 6-8 houses well within the 400meters and 2 houses in the same field along the road.
lets just say the local boys took care of them while the wives called the game wardens

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
also seen a truck 2 years parked on the side of route 112 with his rifle out the drivers window looking at deer in a field on the other side of the road. so basically if you drove past you were between the deer and him...real nice feeling and if you guys now route 112 its a fairly busy road (old short cut from salisbury out through coles Island)

·
Registered
317 Posts
A couple that comes to mind for me are, hunters using their scope for binoculars and scoping other hunters, and people putting up multiple tree stands in one area to keep other hunters from building stands and keep the whole area to themselves and even posting crown land no hunting to try to fool other hunters into not hunting there, bocking roads atv trails, and sabotaging other peoples stands.

I do have a remote woodlot that I use for my own personal shooting range where there is a good backstop, I do not post it no hunting and have no problem with other people hunting there but I pay the taxes and if I want to sight in my rifle there during deer season I will and I certanly wont take any guff over doing so, especially from hunters that have not asked permission to hunt there. I would not be target practicing though if I knew their was a hunt in progress nearby, especially if the hunter had the courtesy to ask permission to hunt there.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A couple that comes to mind:

Sighting your rifle in, in area where someone is deer hunting;
Blocking a road that has many miles of hunting for many;
Putting a stand really close to where others have one;

And many more! I would love to hear what you have experienced!
yes i would have to agree....
ppl drinking while hunting!
absolutely no need for it! and yes i drink too...like to have a beer AFTER my hunt!
but i agree with lefty...pisses me off to hear someone sighting there gun in during the season where ppl are hunting!
i understand some cant before the season but come on....can pick better times than peak hunting!

also...this is one for me!
ran into it saturday!
if you see a vehicle parked at the end of a road...during hunting season and that road ends after 500 yards...why would you go driving your 4 wheeler or truck and spinning your tires up and down the road???
especially within the last 30 minutes of the days hunting???
obviously someone is hunting down that road!

called alittle respect....and no i dont own the woods or the land i am hunting....but i do respect my fellow hunters!!!!!

and the thing is....i knew one of the guys and he would be the first to complain about someone else doing it!!!
which burnt my A$$ even more!
did i say something to him...no...not at the time...but i will when the times arises...because i know he will complain about it sometime i am at his camp!
then the topic will come up and he will probably kick me out of the camp AGAIN...for opening my big mouth!
lol

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Nothing lights my arse candle more than tresspassers.

On Crown Land, it's a whole different game, it belongs to everybody (or so they want us to think anyway...

But for someone to decipher game trails, put ut tree stands and inventory game with trailcams, only to find his material busted out or worse stolen by some yahoos, that gets my blood boiling, and this applies to Crown Land as well IMHO. Sure the land ''open for business'', but if you've put in the time and effort, people should respect your efforts and let you hunt the small parcel, and vice versa.

I would NEVER infringe on somebody else's property to hunt, shoot or retrieve a deer without landowner's permission if the land is posted (Yellow).

On same topic, some landowners post (Red) and then think they have a ''do whatever and get away with badge''....hunting regs are what they are, and they apply to all, so I guess in closing all I want to say is:

RESPECT THE LAND AND THE GAME IT HOLDS, BE IT YOUR LAND, OUR LAND OR OTHER'S...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

On Crown Land, it's a whole different game, it belongs to everybody (or so they want us to think anyway...

But for someone to decipher game trails, put ut tree stands and inventory game with trailcams, only to find his material busted out or worse stolen by some yahoos, that gets my blood boiling, and this applies to Crown Land as well IMHO. Sure the land ''open for business'', but if you've put in the time and effort, people should respect your efforts and let you hunt the small parcel, and vice versa.

I would NEVER infringe on somebody else's property to hunt, shoot or retrieve a deer without landowner's permission if the land is posted (Yellow).

On same topic, some landowners post (Red) and then think they have a ''do whatever and get away with badge''....hunting regs are what they are, and they apply to all, so I guess in closing all I want to say is:

i totally agree bullseye!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would agree with you bullseye on most of that other than I would retrieve a deer without permission if need be. I believe the law requires it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would agree with you bullseye on most of that other than I would retrieve a deer without permission if need be. I believe the law requires it.
Actually, the law allows you to put a finishing shot in an animal in the middle of the high school football field 25 meters from the principals office window. (I would not suggest it, without involving DNR and or Police). You are required to recover your kill, trumping all access laws, except federal parks, where there are a few restrictions, and all you have to do is involve DNR for your recovery.

I agree that you should have the common courtesy of asking the land owner for permission to hunt, and that the land owner would return that courtesy by not sighting in their rifle near your stand.

I remember as a kid, (13) My Dad took me out hunting right after I got my minors license. It was rabbit season, and a week before deer season. We crested a hill, and there was a huge buck standing there looking at us. It was magnificent! being 13, the thing was the size of an elephant! Well it looked at us, and we looked at it, and after about 10 minutes, it decided that it should make a retreat into the alders. We watched it go, and could see 3 hunters walking down a road about 200 yards off. I can still remember my dad telling me to get down, as the 3 hunters unloaded their respective clips trying to get this deer. They were shooting in our direction, we were wearing blaze orange jackets, there is no way they could not see us.. other than 'buck-fever'. Bullets were hitting the ground close enough to us that my Dad grabbed me by my scruff, and we dove down a bank. It just makes me wonder WTF goes through someone's head when they pull this sort of stunt...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Was talking to a farmer today and he was telling me about all the crap that he has put up with just this year as far as "Hunters" go. Shooting next to houses, driving through fields, using his treestands, etc. He told one guy to leave, the guy drives up the road and pulls into his field the other side of the barn. He has booted 9 guys already trying to hunt too close to his house and his mothers house. He said one guy shot between the houses this week at a doe. Shot 6 times, wounded her and then didn't recovery her. Farmer goes talk to the guy and ask him what he thinks he's doing. the guy blatantly tells him that it isn't posted so he can do what he wants! Didn't even care he was too close to houses. Another farmer was telling me about a bunch of guys that parked their camper in his field and he goes talks to them. He said they should ask permission before setting up shop. They basically told the farmer they could park where they wanted and hunt where they wanted. Farmer tells them to move it or he'd get the tractor and move it for them. Both of them are thinking about posting the land RED next year. I know of others who have already posted their land red because of this stupid stuff. One farmer last year said some guys stopped by his house jump out and both guys empty their guns at deer behind his house. There are two houses (with kids) about 50 yards apart and their shooting between them. And everyone rants about all the red posting, it isn't much wonder!

·
Banned
223 Posts
Well, I have called DNR before on a guy firing too close to houses and they didn't pursue it even after investigating and having the license plate # handed to them. There have also been 2 other times when they have pursued charges. What is a person to do sometimes if there are too few people out on patrol, and even then response times are going to be slow? Video cameras might help. I have come to blows with people before. I don't even consider these scum hunters just poachers who also have licenses. Too bad they paint a bad picture for all of us.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got a couple. There was an orphaned fawn that liked to hang around at my neighbors house. He fed it all winter, and come the following spring, we learned that this little fawn was a little buck. I was at my neighbors house that deer season when that little buck still had little buttons for antlers, and had two hunters come and knock on the door while I was taking care of an elderly lady to ask if I had a doe tag, "'cause there's one right there on the lawn, and it ain't even scared!" Of course, that was the little button buck. I kindly told said 'hunters' to head up the road and never stop again. Someone shot that little buck the following year.

Another - I was after a beautiful eight point buck one fall. I had fired at him and missed, and never saw him again that year. But, someone else did. The buck, whom I call Wiser, was out in my field, which is a Christmas Tree plantation. It was posted no hunting for 1km due to workers being in the field. Some yahoo sees Wiser in the field, stops his truck right in front of the no hunting sign, and proceeds to chase the buck through the field on foot. Thankfully the crew weren't hurt, and the guys were warned sternly to stay off the property... What were they thinking? All the crew were wearing blaze orange. They really jeopardized many lives that afternoon.

People like that give REAL hunters a bad name - something we really don't need. Fuel for the anti's...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts