New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I have been Baiting a spot for coyotes since January 1st and we have lot's of activity at the site, but due to the shortness of daylight we only get to set it on saturday's, considering the pressure coyotes put on the deer herd this time of year why wouldn't Sundays be considered in the hard winter month's

G

·
I admit, I'd poke one on a Sunday if I had a chance. Yeah I know what all you bleedin' hearts will have to say about my lack of ethics....
It ain't like I'm jackin' Bambi.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I quess what I'm asking is why this wouldn't be considered by DNR to put more pressure on coyotes, I read somewhere they can shoot them in Maine at night

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why not??

Organic Farmer posted that he missed one last Sunday in another thread - sounds like some are doing it?
I wondered after wards if anyone would pick up on that. LOL

My suggestion to not having enough daylight or time is to share the baits with others. If hunters would work together in an area to keep a bait baited (its a bunch of work and cost if you have to travel to get bait)and have others that may have the time through the week to sit over a bait and work together to have a real comfortable hide (like a fishing shack type affair. All in the spirit of taking some yotes OUT to give the area deer a break. Snow is getting deeper and it will be getting easier for the yotes . 1 coyote will dog a deer till it is exhausted and scum to pneumonia. The more dogs we all take out it will be better for all wildlife except of course the yotes. I Love shooting them , but the years the fur has a value the trappers will go after them, those years I shoot less. No problem ,still less yotes.Better for the deer. From my experience a bait must be maintained,if it is, it just gets better. They move in to that area. Another tip is to not locate a bait anywhere near where deer are yarding, like miles away.Near where the deer are located the calling guys should be targeting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Forgot to say I am not in favor of Sunday hunting.

If we as hunters .....Deer hunters and varmint hunters who truly want to put pressure on the coyote population to ease pressure on the deer population.......should in my mind.....

Put pressure on DNR to bring the wildlife act into the 21st century and get it opened up. Meaning do away with the 1931 stuff like cant use a firearm larger than a .23 caliber in a closed deer,moose,bear season. It is so out of date. A.223 will kill a deer or moose. Soooo if a person was going to go out and poach tomorrow,Saturday January 28th he can legally go with a .223,22-250,a swift whatever. So many deer hunters have told me over the years they cant afford another rifle to go hunt yotes.Half them won't even shoot a coyote while deer hunting, afria if they shoot they will scare the deer away. Figure that one out.

I say any caliber anytime for varmint hunting.

End rant

·
Registered
925 Posts
X3

·
Registered
634 Posts
None because of the Bible Thumpers and Granola Crunchers.

At a time when the liquor stores, titty bars, and taverns are open but we still can't go out and enjoy nature. Discrimination in my opinion.

Same thing happened when Sunday shopping was nearly put to the wayside until the government realized how much tax they collect. Not much money generated by hunters out on Sunday. Simple reasoning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts