New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently contacted the NBWF (http://nbwildlifefederation.org) about extending the Sunday Hunting period.

Here is the reply I got:

"We currently have in place a policy which says we support Sunday Hunting and we have been discussing with the Minister to have Sunday Hunting extended. The original thought when first implemented was that DNR would try it for just deer season for the first few years and then would expand it to other seasons. This has not happened yet but believe me that not a single meeting goes by that we do not bring it up. What would help us is if People would email the minister or send him a letter demanding this expansion."

So following their advice, I decided to send an email showing my interrest in extending the Sunday Hunting to the following people:
TO: Bruce Northrup [email protected]
CC: David Alward [email protected] and my MLA

If you are interrested in extending the Sunday Hunting period, It's your turn to take action and make yourself heard.

If you would like to send an email, but don't want to bother typing it out, I created a cheap webform for sending emails to the Natural Resources minister about Sunday Hunting
http://www.danyo.ca/...day_hunting.php

Just enter you name, email address and press send. You can also alter the pre-populated message if you want.

FYI, I'm not capturing any of your personal info, it just gets sent with the email.

You can also spread the link to other forums and by email if you want. Maybe your father, mother, cousin, brother could find it easier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have recently emailed my MLA with the same issue. Wes MacLean appears to to be very open to the idea and said he would forward my concerns.

So If you want it start pushing,,and keep pushing. Email, write and call we have a voice, use it.

Maybe someone here that is web savy can do a poll and the results can be sent to the Ministers.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The DNR has polled hunters extensively already.
The great majority of outfitters were against it and a slight majority of hunters were against it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. I'm just pointing that out.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The DNR has polled hunters extensively already.
The great majority of outfitters were against it and a slight majority of hunters were against it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. I'm just pointing that out.
Not that I don't believe you sir, but I'd like to see the results of those polls. I recall one such poll about how we felt about Hunting on Sundays, and it resulted in an additional 3 days for us. I would think if Hunters were against it (even a slight majority) we wouldn't have gotten what we did.

Personally, I couldn't care less what Outfitters think about Sunday Hunting. If that's really the problem, then let's make Sunday hunting for residents only.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was told that that was the results of the polls by the former minister Wally and by Rod, in separate conversations at different times.
If my memory serves me right, that's what I was told.
I've made a few inquiries this afternoon to see if I can get the actual numbers. If I can get my grubby little hands on the actual poll results, I'll be pleased to post 'em here.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I was told that that was the results of the polls by the former minister Wally and by Rod, in separate conversations at different times.
If my memory serves me right, that's what I was told.
I've made a few inquiries this afternoon to see if I can get the actual numbers. If I can get my grubby little hands on the actual poll results, I'll be pleased to post 'em here.
Thanks! Again, I'm sure that's what you were told and it might be accurate, but I question the Extensive-ness of any of these polls, since no one I've talked to can remember anytime we've been asked anything about Sunday hunting except just before the introduction into Deer Season a couple of years back. Wouldn't it be odd for them to include it at all if a majority of hunters were against it? How can it be a majority of hunters if they didn't include the majority in the polling? Maybe I'm just crazy, but that seems fishy

·
Registered
614 Posts
I remember being polled, but I can't recall exactly if I got a phone call, or if I got a questionaire with my licence, or what.
My memory is not very good. I'm confident though about what the poll results showed because I was told more than once what the results were, and I also read it in various news stories back when they introduced limited Sunday hunting.
Still, I've asked for the hard numbers. I will be out of town all day tomorrow but hopefully on Wed. I'll have the info. There's no reason for them to keep those numbers secret now so I hope they'll be forthcoming.
(I too found it odd that they'd introduce it despite what their poll found. I was told by someone who ought to know that they decided that, should someone challenge the Sunday ban in court, it wouldn't hold up, and given that hunters weren't all against the idea but only slightly against it, they decided to go with limited Sunday hunting and hope for the best. Again, according to my recollection.)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You should be able to hunt seven days a week, year round, the same as anything else, nobody MAKES you buy gas on sunday, if an individual doesn't want to, then don't, but don't tell me I cant!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You should be able to hunt seven days a week, year round, the same as anything else, nobody MAKES you buy gas on sunday, if an individual doesn't want to, then don't, but don't tell me I cant!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I also read it in various news stories
Well that settles it *puts on tin foil hat* you can't trust anything that's written in the newspaper!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nope sorry I think we should be only alowed to hunt on tuesdays, Why because, I said so. NOW LISTEN
LOL,sorry if thats how it sounded, ive never heard a legit reason to not hunt on sunday, why is it different than any other day?
People say they want to be able to walk in the woods safely, when was the last time you heard of a varmint season accident, without orange on?

·
Registered
125 Posts
lol great comments! And as a hunter, I do agree. But I also see how someone would not want hunting on at least one day of the week. A lot of people up around where I'm from don't like hunting at all, and they don't know much about it anyways. I can understand that they want at least one day to take their kids on a walk without running into someone with a gun, it is just a comfort and misunderstanding issue. Oh well, I'd love to hunt on Sunday! I think I'll send an e-mail too, and tell me if I'm wrong because I very well could be!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can see why Outfitters would be against it, put more pressure of the game; less for them. And also can see why DNR would be not for it; with their resources being what they are. Maybe worse off after the budget.

I will like to see what you find L'man. I am for it as I have said in other posts here. If nothing else, All or None makes more sense to me.

But if you want it ask now, with a new Gov't it is time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts