New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that gun hunters me included can hunt on Sundays and bow,duck,moose and small game hunters can't... What is so special about those three Sundays in rifle season... Any thoughts??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why is it that gun hunters me included can hunt on Sundays and bow,duck,moose and small game hunters can't... What is so special about those three Sundays in rifle season... Any thoughts??
My opinon is that this is a test run and once everyone calms down and realizes that hunting on sundays does not change anything for them we will see all sundays open for hunting. I think it will take a couple more years but keep presuring your MLA and I hope it will happen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 3 Sundays in deer season is very contrary!
It make no senses what so ever that I can legally hunt on Nov.14; but can't on Nov.21.
Hunting for small game and varmits should be permitted on all Sundays within their seasons.
The rules say as a Fur Harvester I am required to check my traps every 48hrs; for humane reasons.But when a coyote is found on Saturday he gets a .22 in the head, and those found on Sunday get the axe.
Times have changed, many of "us" work Saturdays causing time management issue.
If you need proof look at the stats from the mid 80's on permits sold to today; LESS THAN HALF!

·
Registered
495 Posts
All Sunday's should be open to hunting. Instead of me racing home after work to get an hour in, I would have a whole day, the day that I don't have to work.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It's a bit ridiculous, but I think that by allowing hunting during the three Sundays of Gun Season, they were able to provide a bit of a boost (however meager) to the Outfitters and allow them to satisfy more Non-Resident hunters... after all, that's the only thing that matters to them, why worry about the people paying $39 for a Deer License when they can bring in more people paying $207?

To me it almost seems totally backwards, they call Sunday our "Day of Rest", but during the three Sundays a year when there would be the most hunters in the woods of the whole year, Hunting is allowed. Honestly, when do animals need more rest, the first Sunday of Gun Season, or July 18th (or any other Random Sunday)?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't think once you get a huge influx of people in the woods during the season that the deer are going to relaz just because its Sunday after they have been chased all week. They don't think, "Oh, its Sunday, people can't hunt on Sunday so I'm safe to walk out in that field today"

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I don't think once you get a huge influx of people in the woods during the season that the deer are going to relaz just because its Sunday after they have been chased all week. They don't think, "Oh, its Sunday, people can't hunt on Sunday so I'm safe to walk out in that field today"
Maybe not, but I don't think they're praying either! There is a condition called Exertional Myopathy which can affect animals in a constant chase situation with no rest, but there have been more studies of this affecting captured animals than hunted animals. I don't think a day of rest is necessary at all. There's been a bit of an argument against Buck Only hunting causing mature white-tail to prematurely drop dead after rutting hard for a couple of weeks straight trying to service all the does. Maybe that's what they need a day of rest from?

G

·
"Hunter recruitment" has been mentioned on another forum....what better way to get the already over-programmed kids involved in hunting than on a Sunday. Saturdays are already jammed packed with sports and social events,shopping, birthday parties, gymnastics, dance, piano lessons, hockey, basketball, soccer, cubs, scouts, etc...kids AND their parents have very little time to squeeze a free "father-son" hunt in as well. Adding another day might give some kids the opportunity to go small game hunting and get interested, and carry it over into adult hood.

Im all for Sundays, all year round within the existing season dates for each species. The old school religious reasoning doesn't cut it in this day and age. Theres no logical basis for denying it.

BT, I think I read your a fairly religious guy....whats the church think about Sunday Hunting these days ?? Did it come up in conversation at your parish in Belle Isle when the government announced they were going to allow it for 3 Sundays in deer season ?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
hmmmm....as far as sunday hunting!
i will hunt on sunday...but it sure was nice to sleep in alittle on sunday morning after getting up at 4 30 am all week long!
but i agree with girlscout...why not have it end on sunday instead of saturday!
just makes more sense!
should sunday hunting be allowed during bow season...most definitely!
only fair to the bow hunters!
and i believe that even if i didnt bow hunt!
just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I am all for Sunday hunting and yes they should extend it for Oct and Nov. I believe they were just testing the waters with the Sunday hunting rule and the 3 Sunday's they choose were the most beneficial to the majority so I am thinking that is probably the reason why its those 3
I would be willing drop sunday hunting if they added an extra week in Nov.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts