New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey All
I have a 3yr old lab who gets pretty lame after a day in the marsh .The vet says he has a loose knee joint and there is a surgical repair option.Does anyone have any experience with the results of such things. My worry is the dog may come out of it worse than he is now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey All
I have a 3yr old lab who gets pretty lame after a day in the marsh .The vet says he has a loose knee joint and there is a surgical repair option.Does anyone have any experience with the results of such things. My worry is the dog may come out of it worse than he is now.
If the issue is his cruciate there is a surgical option that has proven quite effective but it's a long recovery and isn't cheap. I have a 3 year old Ridgeback that has recently had his second knee done. When torn the knee is very unstable and at the end stage they will not put weight on it.

It's not the same surgery that they would do for you and I as the Dogs are less able to rehab compliantly. They actually cut the bone and rotate the top of the tibia around so that the knee will not slide forward. They can stand on it immediately following surgery but they won't be doing much outside the kennel for 6-8 weeks.

Especially for a larger breed I'm not sure I'd take him anywhere but the vet hospital in PEI to get it done -- others may disagree and I have nothing against local vets.

more info Google T.P.L.O. there is lots of info out there.

In terms of will he be worse off, not if the surgery is successful.... His gait will be altered a bit and he may be arthritic earlier than normal but it will not compare at all to how bad he gets if he experiences a complete tear and goes untreated.

Oh yeah , save your cash because a large percentage of dogs (70%+ they say) with a tear will tear the other side eventually .... dunno why, maybe it's genetic. I know that's not what you wanted to hear ...sorry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi AGD,

I am experiencing the same thing with my 4.5 year old lab. Not sure what caused the injury...likely just a genetically weak knee shape.

We first started noticing the injury at age 3.5, and the vet hoped it would get better on its own (I guess this can happen sometimes). It hasn't gotten any better, and he suggested the $2500 TPLO surgery in PEI. We don't really have that much money to spend on the surgery, and it's not 100% guaranteed to make an improvement. And as Bradley said, the other knee will likely eventually tear too (another $2500). So for now we have the dog on 2000mg of a Gluchosamine/Chondroitin/MSM and 2000mg of Ester C everyday (spread out over two meals). We've been trying this treatment for about three weeks now, and we're seeing an improvement. Apparently we won't see any real results for 3 more weeks. We'll see how it goes, but the surgery still might have to happen.

The gluchosamine is supposed to help lubricate the knee and reduce arthritis, as well as promote natural repair. The Chondroitin and MSM help manage the pain. The Ester-C is a high absorption calcium supplement that can help repair and restabilize the knee.

The unfortunate thing is that the no matter what you choose to do, I doubt the knee will ever return to its full glory. This could mean that you might have to retire your lab from hunting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Retirement is somthing I've been thinking on and dreading, I think that will do him in. The wife and I went bird hunting the other day on the ATV and he had to stay behind, He was so upset he was sick to his stomach that night and next morning and would=nt look at me all evening.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Our Rottie/Shepherd had surgery almost 4 years ago. He was playing with our friends kids and ran for his toy, turning his knee the wrong way and tore the ligament which normally keeps the knee from going forward. Their knees are actually quite different from ours, which I didn't know until we went through all of this.

Fortunately, he did not have to go to the Island for tplo surgery. The surgery done on our dog was basically putting in a fake ligament. I believe Dr. Vessey is one of the only vets in Moncton that preforms this surgery. The surgery does require a lot of after care. He was casted for a week...then the real work began....Cash is a very active dog....we had to keep him quiet for 10-12 weeks. Had to preform physio on the knee 4 times a day. No going up & down stairs. We were warned up front that the surgery would not be successful if we did not commit to the after-care.

We were very lucky as it is only my husband & I in the house, we were able to keep him fairly quiet. The biggest adjustment for us was taking our bed off the frame and just having the mattress on the floor. Our dog (90 lbs) has always shared a pillow with me....I couldn't tell him after having surgery that he couldn't sleep with his mom! hahaha He sucked that up for all it was worth, stretching out as much as he could at night! It was worth it though. He's 7 years old now and still acts like a pup!!

I have a friend that works at the Atlantic Vet College on the Island. She has a golden retreiver that has had TPLO surgery done on both back legs. He is as good as new! Her retreiver actually healed faster from this surgery than ours did from a surgery that seemed so much easier on the dog.

It's actually quite amazing how quick animals bounce back from injuries/surgeries....with barely a complaint!

Ask your vet what all of your options are and definitely discuss with him/her what is involved once you bring your dog home.

Good luck with your pup!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts