New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i was talking to a fella and he mentioned that every year in late fall/early winter he gets a pack of coyotes that seem to move into his neighbourhood. sometimes seeing them in the middle of the day and even as brave as to walk through his yard while he is outside. he mentioned that for the past couple of years he got a family friend who traps to come and try to catch them, but with no luck. so i said i could give it a try with my distressed rabbit call and 22-250(legal distance is not an issue). i said i would give any yotes that i got to the trapper if he wanted them.
so my questions are - where is the best spot to aim (head or boiler room) to do as little damage to the pelt as possile? and is there a particular bullet that would also be preferred at doing the same thing. or does it even matter?
thanks for the help!
WW

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would suspect that a fmj bullet would be the best oiption for the least pelt damage. A head or neck shot might be the least damage to the pelt. Opinion only I am no expert
the other day i was talking to a fella and he mentioned that every year in late fall/early winter he gets a pack of coyotes that seem to move into his neighbourhood. sometimes seeing them in the middle of the day and even as brave as to walk through his yard while he is outside. he mentioned that for the past couple of years he got a family friend who traps to come and try to catch them, but with no luck. so i said i could give it a try with my distressed rabbit call and 22-250(legal distance is not an issue). i said i would give any yotes that i got to the trapper if he wanted them.
so my questions are - where is the best spot to aim (head or boiler room) to do as little damage to the pelt as possile? and is there a particular bullet that would also be preferred at doing the same thing. or does it even matter?
thanks for the help!
WW

·
Registered
103 Posts
My opinion is go for the body. These are not easy animals to shoot. Once you see how fast they are you will understand. Go for the best option to hit which is the body just behind or over the front legs. That is where there lungs are. Take out the lungs and they drop. With that being said if pelt damage is what you are worried about take the head shoot, but I am not that great of a shoot so I will stick with the biggest target.

Check out this link it may help.
http://www.coyotecanada.ca/terminal_ballistics.html (I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this, if so please delete)
also if you are really interested in hunting coyote check out the parent page coyotecanada.ca or buckingtheodds.com. Both great places to get hooked on hunting coyotes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ummm, isn't hunting with FMJ in New Brunswick illegal????

My suggestion if you're worried about the pelts, get some "disintegrating" bullets and you'll only have an entry hole no matter where you hit them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We recently have encountered coyotes running around our home. Never had this problem before and the one I viewed yesterday was a big boy who wasn't in a hurry to leave our driveway. I have a feeling that they may be staying around due to stray cats, apples etc

We have two small children and I shudder to think of what could happen. I have a little something called 00 Buck, just waiting to be served!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i use barnes tnt or granades no exit hole.and lots of internal damage.these are hand loads for my 22 250 great on dogs.
predator....would you mind sharing the rest of your 22-250 handload receipe(s). i'm trying to get started in handloading with my 22-250 for yotes and could use some help.
thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have great luck with my Winchester Ballistic Silvertip handloads. They are deadly when they hit anywhere near the vitals. I take my .17 Rem (not to be confused with the 17 HMR rimfire cartridge) for when I want to bag a nice looking coyote to get mounted. They are fast and accurate and poke a small little hole.

·
Registered
122 Posts
predator....would you mind sharing the rest of your 22-250 handload receipe(s). i'm trying to get started in handloading with my 22-250 for yotes and could use some help.
thanks
weatherwarrior sorry it has taken me so long to reply.the recipe is 40 grains of winchester 760 with 50 grain tnt bullets not sure of the primers.it is a buddy of mine that does the loading for me at 10$ a box. this load does very little pelt damage.i give my yotes to alocal trapper the first one i gave he was quite skeptical on whether they would be damaged badly when he finished skinning there was only entrance no exit.the shots i always try to take is in the heart and lung area. i hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts