New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find the post for Team 9
lol. Anyway, Anyone been out scouting, seeing any signs? I wanted to get out this weekend but the rain is holding me back. I took out a salt lick and some apples last week, no real signs other than tracks. Sometime this week I am going to bring out some more apples and a few pumpkins. Gotta get myself a trailcam! Only 8 more sleeps!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was out yesterday and cleared some shooting lanes at my stand site. I noticed a fresh rub on a 3" maple within sight of my stand. I had two bucks (a five pt and an eight pt)coming by my trailcam but haven't seen pictures of them since the last week in September. I have some does coming but not regularly. I might get out an evening or two next week.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been bowhunting some, seen a few small bucks (spikes) hoping for something bigger. I'll likely hunt a few evenings this week. I plan to take the first day of rifle off work, and hunt a site in zone 11 that I haven't hunted yet. Had an 8 pt and a 4 pt coming around there earlier. No pics of them lately, but they're kicking around not too far away I'm sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been focusing on Ducks lately. I am hopeing to get out and check my stands within the next week. Problem is it is not that easy. It is almost a 2hour drive and then an hour and a half in by 4 wheeler. Not exactly the easiest place to bait or scout that often LOL. But on the flip side I can hunt the entire season and not have to worry about anybody disturbing me. And there are a LOT of deer in there. I have one last stand to go up a little closser to home. I picked up a 2person ladder stand for $150 at Crappy Tire clearance sale in their parking lot. Putting it up closser to home so I can get the girlfriend out for a couple of hunts with me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed my shift around a little at yesterday, going to be working 10 1/2hr late shifts so I can take 3 days off a week, and will still be able to hunt the mornings on the days I work. I am going to go out Friday to check the salt blocks, do a little scouting and make shure my ground blind is still good to go (made out of dead fall and pine boughs)

·
Registered
55 Posts
SAWWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!! I am super pumped now. Just got comfirmed tonight that my vacation request went through. I now am off November 8th through the 21st. Anybody want to guess what I will be doing for two weeks? Here Bucky Bucky Bucky.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SAWWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!! I am super pumped now. Just got comfirmed tonight that my vacation request went through. I now am off November 8th through the 21st. Anybody want to guess what I will be doing for two weeks? Here Bucky Bucky Bucky.
Nice! those are the best weeks to be out. I am glad I didn't take time off for the first week, I am going out today for the first time and it's raining. All I can say is let the sub zero come and the snow commence! makes for much better hunting

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well what a crappy start to my vacation. I was really hopeing for a cold couple of weeks and not this warm wet weather we have been getting. LOL. To top that off somebody flipped a switch and turned the deer off in my area. Not even a track in the last two weeks. They have completly vanished. They were there before and in big numbers. But now I can find no scrapes, no rubs, and no tracks or droppings. Nothing. Once the leaves fell they were gone. I am about 6km back on a trail that could be classed as extremly difficult with a four wheeler on the best of days. Other than me going in and out there is no traffic what so ever. And all this rain has made for a couple of close calls. The last one was a little too close for my likeing. About a 60 foot bit of smooth exposed bedrock on a steep angle gets very slippery when wet and even with a 4 wheel drive bike thre is not much traction lol. Anybody else seeing anything?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had some deer coming before this rain...6 bucks - but I am flooded out now.
I let two small bucks walk last Monday evening - not sure when water levels will allow me back in or if the deer will return before the end of the season or not?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Todays plans were to go duck hunting for a couple of hours, then check the trail camera stand and see if it was still huntable with the high water, dump apples, return home and then Limitornothing and I were going to head back up river and see if we could find some deer up on the Oak ridges with the high water - with hopes of putting the day in up there Saturday if we found some decent sign.
So we went duck hunting and as we arrived to the shore of the Island - we were met by some howling coyotes...kinda thought I might pick up an extra point but they did not stick around when daylight came. We got a couple of ducks, missed some geese and should've had more ducks but the shotgunning was a little rusty! We packed it in a little earlier than usual, dropped two guys off at the marina who were headed home and two of us continued up river to the stand. On the way up - each side of the river shore only had a small strip of dry land as it was flooded in behind. My buddy mentioned to me to scan the 'dry land' on the shore for deer and he would watch for driftwood as there was a lot flowing with the high water. We got to the stand which is only about 6 ft off the ground - but now only 1 foot above the flood. The camera was still about 18" above water(needed hip waders in to change cards!) and we were still able to find some dry land to dump some apples.
So we are now back on our way down river when I mentioned to my buddy that I see a deer on the far shore. He pays no attention to me so I nudge him again and now see the sun shining on his horns and tell him 'there's a buck!' We slow down and put up the binos on him and confirm that its a buck and said I think I will take him. Now the buck is on the far shore, we are on the other about 125 yds from him. He asked me what I wanted to do...I told him I didn't feel comfortable using my rifle as there are a couple of houses near by. There was no possible way of hitting the houses as they were on a much higher elevation than we were but didnt know if I was 400m from them. So here we are...a buck on a small strip of dry land, not sure if we are the legal 400m and no slugs or buckshot for the shotgun. So I decide to call one of the guys who we just dropped off and see if he had any buckshot as he didn't live too far away and there was a bridge about a half km down river he could drop it off to us. I called and he said he'd be there in 10 mins.
So we sat there for a few minutes and watched the deer before we headed down river. The deer seemed to be in a 'stupour' - it just sortof stood there not looking at us at all…almost like it didn't know what to do…then again, his choices were either swim back across the river or continue to swim across the flooded meadow in the direction he was headed. So we head down - get the shells and drive back up. On the way up I ask the boys if they ever shot a deer with a shotgun and buckshot before? The answer was no and I said great - any idea where I should aim - we all agreed that the 'boiler room' would be the best bet. We get back up river and the deer is in the same spot and hasn't moved. I was able to sneak up and get quite close to him…prolly within 20-30yds max. As I sneak up on him he is standing ass to me but looking back at me. I decided that a head shot was my only shot. I took the shot and the deer dropped down (knew it was a good hit) but got back up and took one leap - I fired again and it cartwheeled and dropped in about 2 feet of water…season over!
I am still baffled as to what that deer was doing on that little strip and why he stayed there for so long. This deer happens to be one of the 6 I had coming to the stand. It is an 8pt and FD 160lbs shot with a Remington 11-87.

PS - According to GEONB map viewer the deer was standing just shy of 300m from the houses so I am glad we made the decision on the shotgun....AND before anyone asks - YES I had hunters orange on - pics were taken back at the boat landing.

A couple of pics.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Congrats on a great buck BND, greater story and truly greater ethics!

You'll remember this one for sure when you're old and grey. Will stand out as one to remember!

Wow!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice buck! Congrats!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts