New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard alot of good stuff about these Bushnell Elites--- and after this season and hunting the rain i had to, i used half a roll of paper towel on a couple different days just so i could see though my scope and i figured if i had spotted a deer that i wanted there was only a 30-40 % chance of me being able to see it thought he scope on these wet days..
Whats your suggestions on a great All Weather Scope????

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've heard alot of good stuff about these Bushnell Elites--- and after this season and hunting the rain i had to, i used half a roll of paper towel on a couple different days just so i could see though my scope and i figured if i had spotted a deer that i wanted there was only a 30-40 % chance of me being able to see it thought he scope on these wet days..
Whats your suggestions on a great All Weather Scope????

·
Registered
8 Posts
i purchased a new 3200 elite 3x9x40 and a friend of mine has two and when it is raining and you look thriugh the scope its almost like there is no rain, awesome scopes...

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm old school. I use a 1970 Rem. 742 woodsmaster with a 2 x 7 redfield scope. Weatherproof with Butler Creek Flip Caps. This gun has killed a whole population of deer..LOL

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Dont kid yourselfs guys...
It Will & Does Fog On Occasion!!!
Yes its quite abit better then the cheaper models,Buts it's not totally oblivious to the elements!
I have a few myself, and all of them so far have fogged on atleast one occasion!
Dont get me wrong, I love the Elites, And I'm not on here bashing them at all, just stating true facts.
A man would be pretty nieve IMO to think otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i agree with wonsky.i have a 3200 and now and again it will fog.when the day goes from rain to snow,a snowflake on the lens is not good.best scope i've ever owned tho,well worth owning.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree with wonsky.i have a 3200 and now and again it will fog.when the day goes from rain to snow,a snowflake on the lens is not good.best scope i've ever owned tho,well worth owning.
I agree with wonsky too, I've got a 4200 and the first few years it was pretty good, but I think the older it gets, maybe the finish they put kinda wears off. Same here, not putting the scope down, works great, love it. Something I want to try are flip caps, I think this is the way to go. What do you guy's think........

·
Registered
13 Posts
I OWN AN ELITE AND LOVE IT. I ALSO HAVE A CHEAPER BUSHNELL WHICH IS A BANNER AND ITS GREAT TOO. I THINK THAT MOST SCOPES WILL FOG WHEN YOU HAVE AN EXTREME CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE. SO WHEN U JUMP OUT OF UR TOASTY VEHICLE TO GO TRACKING OR STILL HUNTING ON THAT MESSY DAY EXPECT FOGGING UP A LIL AT THE START. I FIND MINE FOGS UNTIL IT REACHES THE SAME TEMPERATURE AS THE AIR , THEN I GIVE IT A WIPE OR TWO AND THEN ITS JUST FINE.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mostly the troubling fogging is on the inside .... I once knew a guy that always left his gun in the truck because the temperature change caused him issues. Expensive gun with a pooched scope.

The Bushnell Rainguard really does work amazingly well, especially considering the pricing ... but I don't own any.

This fall I used that blue shop towel that comes by the roll at Cambodian Tire. All my synthetic clothing was next to useless to wipe a scope and kleenex / paper towel worked but ya needed a bundle of it. This stuff i keep some of in a ziploc and kept a sheet tucked in each sleeve. Worked great even if it was a bit wet itself and didn't fall apart.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A scope thats fogged on the inside is trashed, seals are broken and there's not a thing you can do with that except get the seals replaced if it has alifetime warranty.
Fogging on the outside can be avoided a couple of ways, scope caps work to keep moisture off the lens, but once you flip the caps up you better not put them back down or you'll trap the wet moist air inside and create fog. Most of the fogging on rainy days is caused by having the scope tucked under your arm or leaving the rifle sitting in your lap when you sit down. Warm moist heat coming off your body is going to fog any scope. Going from the warm veh or camp to outside won't cause fogging. Going from the cold outside to the warm inside will cause fogging so once you are out of the truck, stay out of the truck.
So 3 things to avoid
Don't flip up the caps unless you absolutely have to\
Make sure you are carrying or holding the gun well away from your body on those warm damp days
Don't take the gun into a warm environment.
Those tips will cure most of your fogging issues.
On another note....paper towel is very very hard on high quality optics as is toilet paper, it will absolutely make very fine scratches as it drags dirt over the lens and over time will deteriorate the coatings on the optics. The scratches also give moisture in the air a place to cling to which will worsen fogging issues. The coating on the Bushnell rainguard is nothing more than a fancy wax the keeps the surface absolutely smooth so moisture has no place to cling to and just rolls off, (think of a nice wax job on your car) Paper towel, toilet paper, your shirt tail etc will all scratch lens and coatings. Ask the camera guys what they use to clean lenses, paper towel isn't on the list. Use cotton balls to absorb moisture and a synthetic glass cloth to wipe smudges only after you are confident there is no dirt on the lens to grind into it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A scope thats fogged on the inside is trashed, seals are broken and there's not a thing you can do with that except get the seals replaced if it has alifetime warranty.
Fogging on the outside can be avoided a couple of ways, scope caps work to keep moisture off the lens, but once you flip the caps up you better not put them back down or you'll trap the wet moist air inside and create fog. Most of the fogging on rainy days is caused by having the scope tucked under your arm or leaving the rifle sitting in your lap when you sit down. Warm moist heat coming off your body is going to fog any scope. Going from the warm veh or camp to outside won't cause fogging. Going from the cold outside to the warm inside will cause fogging so once you are out of the truck, stay out of the truck.
So 3 things to avoid
Make sure you are carrying or holding the gun well away from your body on those warm damp days
On another note....paper towel is very very hard on high quality optics as is toilet paper, it will absolutely make very fine scratches as it drags dirt over the lens and over time will deteriorate the coatings on the optics. The scratches also give moisture in the air a place to cling to which will worsen fogging issues. The coating on the Bushnell rainguard is nothing more than a fancy wax the keeps the surface absolutely smooth so moisture has no place to cling to and just rolls off, (think of a nice wax job on your car) Paper towel, toilet paper, your shirt tail etc will all scratch lens and coatings. Ask the camera guys what they use to clean lenses, paper towel isn't on the list. Use cotton balls to absorb moisture and a synthetic glass cloth to wipe smudges only after you are confident there is no dirt on the lens to grind into it.
Daveyn Ole'Buddy...
I Just Had 2 Glasses Of Captain Morgan While Reading That Post!!

Hawooooooooooo Ca'monnnnnnn

·
Registered
565 Posts
Daveyn Ole'Buddy...
I Just Had 2 Glasses Of Captain Morgan While Reading That Post!!

Hawooooooooooo Ca'monnnnnnn
|You're slowing down my friend...must be old age.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This was the wetest Deer Season that I can remember , I hunted through all of it and never had a problem with foging up once .
If you want a foul weather gun forget the scope and put on good iron sights , either open or peep and you wont have to worry about the rain and snow . Practice with them and build up some confidence , some very good shooting can be done without a scope .

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
some very good shooting can be done without a scope .
What about when that buck of a lifetime decides to step out 250 yards away, and is walking in the opposite direction Ca'mon????
Open Sights Have There Purpose, Same As Everything Else!! But If Your Not a Bush Hunter Then Ya Mosewell Leave Them On The Porch!!
Hawoooooooooooooo To The High Quality Optics Ca'monnnnnnnnnn!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well Wonsky what do you think hunters were doing in that situation 70 yrs ago ?
If it was me I would get closer and kill the buck , but that has more to do with the gun I hunt with than the lack of a scope .
What are you going to do in the same situation with a fogged up scope ?
Realistically how many hunters can hit anything at 250 yrds scope or no scope ?

If you think that the lack of a scope limits you to less than 100yrds then you need to get out to the shooting range with good irons and practice .

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've got an Elite and it is better than most scopes but isn't rainproof. If I'm going in heavy rain I put plastic wrap over both ends of my scope with elastics. Sounds funny but even when wet you can still see very well. I find it better than the scope covers if you get it quite snug.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well Wonsky what do you think hunters were doing in that situation 70 yrs ago ?
Alot has changed with how a man can hunt since the 70's ol'boy!!
If your lucky enough to have a piece of woods ya can still hunt w/ irons and enjoy it, well then by all means walk it right to er Ca'monnnnnnnnnn!!
If Ya wanna try shooting that crow at 300 yards w/ your ol 30-30 Irons, like I said by all means walk it to er!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
So 3 things to avoid
Great post

1 - 20 of 30 Posts