New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It' has been made clear to me this week that the "Best time to Poach a Moose is on the "Weekend." I was up on the Thompson Road near Highfield on Fri. looking to hang a bear bait in one of the orchards I hunted last year. I had a couple of logging roads that I wanted to check out and on one of them found a huge trailer that was apparently set up for quite some time gauging by the junk littered around.No trespassing signs nailed to the trees kind of made me feel unwelcome,so I beat it back to my truck. I drove down another quarter mile or so to check out an old beaver dam I found last year and while stumbling around, about 3.30, heard a shot that sounded like it came from the area I had just left minutes ago.It sounded really close,so as I was dressed in a black hoodie,I decided to work my way back to the truck to keep out of harms way.I had observed at the beaver dam really fresh moose tracks of a cow and calf,probably coming down to drink so I was concerned about their safety,hoping I didn't push them out into danger when I approached the dam. Anyway, I got about half way back to the truck when another shot rang out,muffled by the high wind but definitley a shot. When I hit the truck I started back out the way I came barely creeping out the road. When I came to the logging road that I had just walked a while back,there was a bright red 1/2 ton nosed into the turn in the road and there were 3 kids about 10 or 12 years old standing near the back of the truck starring back at me. I stopped for a minute to see if they needed help but they turned their backs on me as if to ignore me,so I started back up the road. When I looked back in the mirror I could see that 2 of the kids had come to the edge of the road to keep an eye on what I was doing.As I creeped up the road , two more shots rang out. I feel bad because I might have pushed those moose right out in front of the buddy. Anyway I thought about it all night and made the decision Sat. morning to call the D.N.R. to see if someone could check it out.Guess what! I called the Chipman Office, the Hampton Office and even the Sussex Office,even though It's no longer there, hoping someone would pick up the phone.NOPE! I got a recording and if no one answered call Crime Stoppers! Well I don't think buddy will wait around till Monday when the D.N.R. opens and when Crime Stoppers gets around to it the Moose will likely be in a freezer somewhere.I know the D.N.R. is short staffed and all but someone should be near a phone or near by to have a call forwarded to them,Poachers don't work 8-5 on weekdays and take the weekends off,but maybe the wardens do! What do ya think!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I saw pretty much the same thing a couple of weeks ago and got the same response from the DNR office in St. George. There was no way I was going near the group. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. They had guns and I didn't. Next day I saw the gut pile on the side of the road.

Coyote Jack

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys I know from experience that contacting DNR is frustraiting. Especially after hours! But the offices do have answer machines. The messages are long because they have to service both French and English. If you are patient and follow the prompts you can either leave a message or talk to an operator. Conservations Officers are limited in their numbers, but they can't respond to complaints if they don't have the information. The public are their eyes and ears. Coyote Jack, I also live in the St. George area and know one of the CO's who works that area. He has worked information I have given him in the past. I don't think any charges were laid, but at least he worked the info I gave him. If this is important to you, then maybe you guys should again to contact DNR. Even if you are late getting the info to them. A licence plate number goes a long way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts