New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there team mates!

I am glad to be virtually sharing the woods with you this fall. Here is the list of our team members:

Team 8
8. adgunner --- Salisbury area
65. nbbucks --- Zone 16
44. Hunter94 --- Albert County
39. 4evrhntn --- Zone 22/18
28. daniel5500 --- Zone 23
5. live2hunt --- penobsquis, sussex and miramichi

Let's show these other teams how it is done.

How about each member provding a quick blurb on their weapon of choice, favorite deer hunting method and if you have a doe tag or not.

I do happen to have a doe tag. I hunt the first three weeks with my Recurve bow hanging around in the trees and then, depending on the weather, I head up into the ridges wearing a pair of wool pants and coat carrying my trusty Model 94 Lever and chase big bucks around in the snow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am going to be buck hunting with my bow. I will be hunting out of a tree stand or ground blind, and maybe a bit of still hunting. This is my first year bow hunting so I'm hoping for some beginners luck!

We're going to need a team name!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard. I cannot wait to get out with the bow. Does anyone have some ideas for a team name? I thought Buck Stoppers might be good, but I am sure there are a lot better names out there. Also, if anyone is in Moncton / Riverview sometime before the season and wants to go grab a coffee and talk hunting to get stoked for the opener let me know.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi all rifle guy here with no doe tag. Not sure how much time ill have but gonna give it a try . Buck stoppers is a good name.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like Buck Stoppers. I'm not too picky about a name, so I'll be happy with what everyone else likes. We could be the Buck Stoppers, Crazy 8s, Antler Kings, or anything else someone comes up with!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well played GG! Way to ruin a team name on a guy. Same thing happened with the first name I had picked for my oldest daughter, met a woman who I really disliked by that name and just couldn't name my kid that

Oh well, team, have you got any other ideas, or do we want to be the doe piss bottlers?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if you can't beat em, best to join em! Unless another team member has a huge issue Lets make it official.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good enough, we'll have to put a new meaning to the term BUCK STOPPERS. GG, after this season whenever you see or hear the name BUCK STOPPERS, your brain is going to be flodded with big buck pictures

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hehe thats too funny! Go with buckstoppers we will have our own name for greyghost anytime we see his posts. ???

·
Registered
925 Posts
GG stick with your own team!!
The buckstoppers will speak with action............

I'll get out a little with my bow just around the house. Come rifle season I have 2 weeks off and hopefully my wife will be off as well so I don't have to be home with the kids. I love to stillhunt in the big woods in November and if there is snow I'll be looking for a big buck track. I will be buckstopping him at the end of his tracks.

Go team 8!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well team, I don't have any monster bucks around (or he has been camera shy), but there are atleast 4 bucks in the area. IF I get the chance to shoot a deer it will be my first, so I'm not too worried about it being "too small". I will be just as happy with a spike as i would with an 8 point. Hopefully I can help the BuckStoppers take this contest!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2 1/2 yr old seven point, and a couple of does hanging in the area where I will spend most of my time bow hunting, and I will be checking out a new property I got access to with the bow at least one day. Probably do a run and gun (morning speed scout / set up stand / hunt till dark deal. With two little kids, getting away to hunt can sometimes be a problem.

Secretly I am praying for early snow or even some wind and rain to soften up the leaves to head up into the hills to track down a big one. Man I can't wait for this season to start!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well if you're gonna be watching kids anyway Hunter94 can I drop my 7 off so I can go huntin'?

• Upvote
Reactions: Hunter94

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy c**p! I guess you never have a lack of help dragging a deer out. Sure, drop them off, I will already have my deer, and you will need a big one to feed a clan that size
...OR... 2 wives and 9 kids spending the day at my place = a day of hunting for both of us

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone been getting out to do some scouting? How are things shaping up for those of you that will try your bowhunting luck with an early season deer on the 4th? I am hoping to get out for a morning and evening hunt that day (before and after work) in an overgrown orchard the deer like to visit. Catch them off guard!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Been putting some apples out. I put a new card in the cam and it didnt save the pictures
. They ate about 45 pounds of apples in a week and there is no pictures to show. Its a little frustrating, but its nice to know that they are hitting the apples hard. I am also hoping to get out opening evening. Only 3 weeks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
About a month ago I bought a new (old) bow on the internet. It is a 1974 Howatt Hi-Speed recurve that draws 50# @28" with a 58" AMO length. I was a bit worried that switching from a longer and higher draw weight recurve (62" AMO 60# draw) would be hard to adjust to before the season. I shoot instinctively so use no sites and do not use a gap based method so muscle memory is key.

Well after a couple of weeks of practice I guess I am ready for the season to start. Here is my 20 yard grouping from this evenings practice session. This bow fits my shooting style like a glove, I have never been so confident in my shooting.

http://newbrunswickhunting.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=444

·
Registered
925 Posts
You shoot your recurve better than I shoot a compound. Great job!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts