New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that turkeys are a very smart bird with exceptional eye sight, and are extremely hard to hunt.
You see people on Wild TV hunting them and it doesn't seem that hard, because they are probably with the best outfitters/ranches, and kind of make it look easy. The same way they make hunting big bucks look easy (and we all know that's not the case).

Now I realize Wild TV makes it look easier than it is, I was just making a point. (Don't listen to Wild TV - Ya I know)

What I'm wondering is: If we do get a turkey season in NB, how hard are these birds to kill? Is it harder than hunting deer? What are some basic tactics? How often do you see birds? Is bow much harder than shotgun?

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
At the 2011 Saint John NWTF Banquet there will be a two day guided Maine Turkey hunt auctioned off. It's worth around $600 and last year it went for around $300 if my memory serves me correctly. So you could find out for yourself.

Bill G.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanks Bill, but still being in school, I'm in no position to pay to go on a turkey hunt.
I want to know what a DIY turkey hunt is like.
Thanks though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Whitetail...
These observations are strictly from my own wild turkey hunting experiences over the years and I have been "going on spring turkey hunts" to the state of Vermont and New York State since 1988 almost every year.I have taken ten wild 'Tom" turkeys and one "Jake" during that time and turned down another dozen birds I could have taken, looking for that trophy Tom. I have found that it is always beneficial to start out by learning all you can about these birds, their foods, their habits and habitat, how to call properly, best use of decoys, blind set up and pre-season scouting...all much the same as you'd do to become a successful white tail hunter. There are numerous videos that will help you can gain much knowledge from but you should start out hunting with a knowledgeable guide if you CAN and learn all you can from him/her. That way, you'll experience the actual hunt and see first hand,all the things that make for a successful hunt. I would suspect that hunting them with a bow would be more difficult than using a shotgun but personally, I don't believe they are more challenging to hunt than a deer and perhaps not as challenging. You will find that these birds are very "cagey" and although "Wild Tv", with the magic of scene splicing, etc. makes it look so easy...it may not be the case. Those birds and the hunt are subject to weather conditionss, timing of the spring breeding season (rut)visibility or lack there-of as foliage sprouts...and hunting pressures.Film crews putting together a hunting show spend countless hours, days and weeks getting the right footage to fit into that action packed half hour! In reality, you normally have a few days or a week to hunt...may see lots of birds or very few due to weather,etc. and you may or may not get your chance to bag a bird...if they don't come in to at least forty yards or closer. I didn't bag a bird during the first four years I went south to hunt them! Came close, saw lots of birds, experienced the adrenaline surges and excitement, met some great people and saw some new country...but it didn't happen for me...then, my fifth year running, it all came together and I bagged two birds, both big Toms that spring! Wild turkey hunting is a lot like deer hunting in many ways. Some years it's real easy to bag birds while other years...you really have to work to make it happen...anyway you look at it, hunting these remarkable birds is a lot of fun and excitement and if the success of your hunt depends solely on you getting a bird, save yourself some money and pick one up at the supermarket! As I stated when i started this...these are my reflections/observations only. Hope this helps. Ray

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good read Ray. Makes me that much more excited to go this Spring

·
Registered
375 Posts
Turkey hunting is great. I have been hunting wild turkeys in Conneticut for 10 or 12 years and have harvested 25 (limit is 3 Tom per spring). The birds are extremely smart, as far as eye sight and hearing goes. Turkeys get hard to hunt when the leaves come on the trees and the grass and small trees start to grow (harder to see them, and your calling doesnt reach as far out in the woods), so having a late spring benifits hunting from my experience. Another thing with an early spring and leaves on the trees the turkeys dont seem to Gobble near as much as they do when there's no leaves. I have been practicing my calling and getting ready to start shooting my bow, this years season starts April 27th and I will be hunting for a week. Maine has a really great population of turkeys, and from what i hear there is good deals as far as pricing for guides/cabins for 3 to 5 day hunts. From my experience once you start turkey hunting it is something that you will do every spring, it just makes the winter feel shorter as opening day approaches. Good luck this spring to all Turkey hunters.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sounds cool.
Do you have to hunt the wind at all like you do deer?
Not so much the wind. Movement (site) and sound are the big ones.

I have read that you are still in school. I have been hunting these birds for many years........I am still in school too!
We have a Maine Master Guide coming to the dinner on April 2. If you are truly interested then you must attend.

If you would like to hunt turkeys in Newbrunswick, then you must attend.
You will get an answer to all your questions there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts