New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

his ears are on the side of his head, told this indicates an older bear..

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I wouldn't say it was an older bear. This time of year it should look like a barrel on stubs, that to me looks like a 2 year old. I would still shoot it though, it would be delicious

Here is a sow and cub and I think she is bigger...

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
BT, no comparison, you're looking at a 10+yr old sow, but the bear in the above pic is way more than a 2 yr old, which would be in the 90 to 110lbs range if he were.

I'm no bear expert, but it takes a lot of years to ''manufacture'' a 300lbs boar, well over 8 years in ideal conditions I've read.

That bear looks to be pushing 200+, a taker in my book, probably a 5-6 year old.

Any guides in here care to give their opinion on this?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm no expert either but have seen alot of bears and pics, i agree with BT on this one.I doubt that bear would weigh 125 lbs just from pic experience.Look at how small his paws are compared to the apples.A big bear out in the open like that would look huge..NBGUIDE!!! help us out..RR

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the apple pile is about 15 to 18 feet away from my camera location for that bear

i have a sow and 2 cubs coming to my other bait and when she is close to the camera she looks big til she walks to the apples and you can see she is a smaller bear, but at that location the apples are about 10 feet away from the camera at the most.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think if you check the NB bear stats you will find that it doesn't take many years before you cross the 300lb mark for boars (fall weight), many sows will never reach it. A 2 year old will weigh under 100lbs in the spring but will top that in the fall. The bear to me just doesn't have the characteristics of an older big boar.
A big boar should look like this in the fall...

Mind you this is a ready big bear

• Upvote
Reactions: styk

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think if you check the NB bear stats you will find that it doesn't take many years before you cross the 300lb mark for boars (fall weight), many sows will never reach it. A 2 year old will weigh under 100lbs in the spring but will top that in the fall. The bear to me just doesn't have the characteristics of an older big boar.
A big boar should look like this in the fall...

Mind you this is a ready big bear
Holy crap, he is big, i'd probably have to go clean out my shorts if I met him in the woods...back when we had a local dump, there was a bear that was frequenting it, it got quite big as the stories went, anyways, on opening day for small game I ran across that bear in an orchard that was close to the dump. When I entered the orchard, I found a large area of grass all padded down and thought if it's a bears bed, there should be black hair, if it's a deers bed, I probably wouldn't see any brown against the dead grass. No hair visible, must be a deer's bed and on I went into the orchard. Boys was I wrong, I hear something coming and it didn't sound like a partridge or a deer. It was Mr(s) Bear, it couldn't smell me and it was curious. Well, it was big and all I was hunting with was a 22, I turned around and walked maybe 5 steps before I bolted, man, Ben Johnson couldn't have caught me I on that 1/4 mile dash. I switched to a 12 gauge after that encounter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts