New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'll start off explaining myself. I have seen a coyote up near where I used to rabbit hunt and where I love to grouse hunt. I first saw it in deer season on a atv path and I couldn't get a shot off, we met each other and I didn't get my .22 up in time! Well, I haven't seen that animal in a long time, so Ive been lazy with hunting it and lazy at checking my trailcam etc but that all changed yesterday. I went up to my camera and decided to use some kipper snacks as bait, and on my way I saw fresh muddy footprints in the snow. I then saw some "droppings" with rabbit hair and bones in it. I got to the camera and opened the bait, and it suddenly began a weird bark. It scared the hell out of me (without a gun, alone, and only a buck knife for my defense). Well I dropped the bait, ran up my treestand and listened to it howl and bark while I shook in my stand, I got a video with audio of it. Needless to say, I ran out of there asap (I presume it smelt me and did the same) and I hopped in the truck and went home. Saturday I plan on going to kill it, never again will I go without a gun lol. I'll post a pic if I shoot it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Best of luck DRH! Let's see that video!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I didn't see the darn thing, but it wasn't far off, maybe 30 feet AT THE MOST. If I can find a way to hook up my phone to my computer I could get the vid, but you'll only hear the barks. And Big Dog, sure take the darn thing!! Just let me try it first lol, I can give coordinates when I give up, im using a 22 so range might be a problem.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey Guys.

Just thought I would support your efforts.
Just speaking with my wifes parents. A couple of days ago they where looking out the window and watching 8 deer grazing in the field next to their home.
They watched a coyote come out and take down a healthy deer. To say the least, they were heart broken. They want me to come and hunt that and all the coyotes in the area.

Just another example of these predators skill.

Go get them DRH!

·
Registered
565 Posts
wow thats weird that a single coyote could run out after 8 deer in the middle of a field and not one of the deer saw the coyote in time for them all to take off. Seems odd that there was no "chase" involved cause a deer can outrun a coyote for a significant distance. A coyote kill on a deer is not a "one and done" deal. It takes time and effort and a chase on the part of the coyote. Even if it was a really sneaky coyote and managed to get next to the deer unseen a healthy deer is going to be able to shake the coyote for a while. I'm thinking that deer must have been in pretty bad shape to not be able to at least get out of site with a coyote chasing it. Coyote doesn't kill a deer by jumping on its back or ripping its throat out, for an instant kill. No claws to work with, usually it involves chewing on its hamstrings during a chase until it goes down or ripping its belly open during a chase and it still goes for awhile after that. I think that must have been a pretty sick deer to give the coyote a lay down.

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
i watched two yotes work a herd of twenty deer last year to close to houses to shoot. but they went from deer to deer the deer would run for a bit then stop and stand them off. the yote would just give up and go to the next one ...

·
Registered
515 Posts
wow thats weird that a single coyote could run out after 8 deer in the middle of a field and not one of the deer saw the coyote in time for them all to take off. Seems odd that there was no "chase" involved cause a deer can outrun a coyote for a significant distance. A coyote kill on a deer is not a "one and done" deal. It takes time and effort and a chase on the part of the coyote. Even if it was a really sneaky coyote and managed to get next to the deer unseen a healthy deer is going to be able to shake the coyote for a while. I'm thinking that deer must have been in pretty bad shape to not be able to at least get out of site with a coyote chasing it. Coyote doesn't kill a deer by jumping on its back or ripping its throat out, for an instant kill. No claws to work with, usually it involves chewing on its hamstrings during a chase until it goes down or ripping its belly open during a chase and it still goes for awhile after that. I think that must have been a pretty sick deer to give the coyote a lay down.
I am sure there were plenty more details that I didn't hear?
Don't be so quick to judge. Just getting a point across. Coyote hunting can be challenging and rewarding.
I don't think enough of us are doing it? Anyhow.......go get them!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think enough of us are doing it? Anyhow.......go get them!
I usually live in the city limits so yotes aren't an issue and I couldn't shoot them there anyway but I'm staying with the girlfriend back country now and I found myself staring at one just accross the street the other morning while I was out for a smoke. For whatever reason he stuck to the road until he was out of sight (it was 5am, barely light out) but I gave him a bark every now and again and the idiot stopped and looked at me every time. Should be an easy kill once I get back to my place to pick up my gear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Shot 1 befor going to work today is was male. He was a little slow he seeing me driv in, he stop and loked at me geting out and he dead. About 150m 22-250, 50gr cooked him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts