More than 50 yards00.00%
More than 60 yards212.50%
More than 70 yards00.00%
More than 80+00.00%

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are a number of factors that determine if the shot should be taken outside of straight distance such as alertness, wind, etc. but for straight out distance on relaxed animals in an open environment how far do you think is too far?

·
Registered
726 Posts
30 is the limit for me. (although my first bow kill was at 34 yards, younger and ......then) Not that I cant shoot good at 30 + it just has too many variables over 30 yards. I set up my spots for a 15 yard shot. If things goes as plan then its a 15 yard shot. I only use a 1 pin sight thats a 20 yard pin. I'm not big into change. If things work I dont change it. Including the $3.00 broadheads.LOL

·
Registered
314 Posts
40 YDS and that is with a speed bow.I would never take that long of a shot,my stand is 30 yrds,but my BAIT pile was 20.Too many variables for anything longer.Personally I don't think I could make a clean kill out past 30.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Depends on type of animal winds ect ect, Under perfect conditions I shoot 60 yards all the time in the summer and am pretty confident with my shots out to there but wouldnt shoot at an animal that far, I said earlier this year 40 would be my max, but when presented with a shot on the biggest buck of my life at 50 yards, I was confident when hit the release that my arrow would go where I was pointing. As I watched the deer run away I will admit i was very nervous about placement. Now that ive experienced a 50 yard shot on a deer, I dont think i would do it again, I would like to keep it under 40 for sure. Moose I dont think id mind going out to 50 tho under the right circumstances. So my vote goes to 40 and that is for deer. I would of been a mess If i had of wounded that animal.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I would never want to take anything over 30 yards, BUT that being said, a buck of a lifetime at 40 yards on the range finder (NO MORE THAN 40 YARDS), no wind, deer is not on alert (VERY IMPORTANT), and I would probably be tempted to take a shot. That said, I haven't shot anything over 30 yards with two deer taken under 20 yards and one at about 25 yards. Like others have stated, all my salt licks and stands are setup for 20 yard shots.

A deer coming in on alert big time, and I wouldn't probably take a shot out past 20 yards. BIG difference between plunking arrows and shooting a deer out at 40 yards plus. I shoot out to 60 yards as well through the summer with a 70lb bow, 400 grain arrows, running 286 fps (chrono).

I have never seen an archery target jump the string before. OK, the wind might have blown over one of my targets before.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I would have to say 30 yards would be the limit for me as well. Although I much prefer 15 or 20. Most of my shots have been at 10 or 15...and one at 20. But the worst judgement I had was to take a shot just past 20 yards...but the deer was taking a step at the time. I recovered the buck, but not until a few hours later. Never again do that!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
30-35yds

After that i feel the potential for error widens more than i care to chance on a animal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Way to many variables to vote.

Windy day 15 yards
sunny day no wind deer not alert open field 40 yards.
from a stand in the woods with limbs on trees ... 30 maybe depends on the day.

What have you practiced out to and how confortable do you feel at given range?

This is an individual thing. I have heard people say OMG it is unethical to take a shot more than 20 yards ever.

Bull sh*t. it depends on the shooter.

Can you tell I hate these discusions as all it does is stir people up and I would bet there is not one of us that has not missed judged a shot in the field for one reason or another.

Now I have said to much and will shut up now.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
LOL, no reason for anyone else to get worked up over your thoughts. As I said take out the variables, just looking for peoples vote on the furthest straight distance in the open with everything ideal with a known yardage that they think a shot should be taken, not even necessarily what they would shoot.

Last one I shot was 36 yards "in the woods" I have no problem shooting that far or more, nor do I let anyone else set my limit. I have passed animals closer and shot animals further depending on the situation. I think we'd all like to have 15-20 yard shots at relaxed deer standing broadside and looking away but that isn't going to happen every time either.

I think everyone has misjudged a shot distance if they shoot any amount at all, I know I have missed a few due to incorrect "guessdimation"
., one deer twice. It happens to everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts