New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was lucky enough to get a doe permit and recently shot a nice sized doe. He knew he hit it a little far back and since it was late in the day he decided to leave it until morning. The next morning we tracked the blood trail right to the spot where I would say a pack of coyotes claimed his deer as theirs. All that was remained was the head, ribs, and hooves. This deer was about 120lbs field dressed and within a 14 hr period it was totally gone. How many coyotes do you think there would be to eat a deer this size in such a short period?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I shot a small doe one morning some years ago, field dressed her, drug her away from the gut pile and left to go get the wheeler to bring her out, well you get tied up with one thing or another around camp and when I went back in to get her, about 6 hours later, there was nothing left but head hide and hoofs. Wasn't coyotes though it was the ravens that got her. You could tell because the skeleton was pretty much intact and it hadn't been dragged or scattered around. Mother nature is a b**** and when she throws a free meal at you you'd better by quicker than your friends are to get to the buffet

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am guessing 6-8 and some other critters in the mix too. 1 coyote can pack away a hell of a lot of meat and guts. I shot 1 last fall that could barely run his belly was so full of deer guts. I am guessing he had well over 10lbs of deer guts in his belly. He looked like he had a basketball inside him!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts