New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious!
i know the old wise tale that if you shoot a deer with a rifle and it runs it makes the meat tough!
what about after you shoot a deer with a bow and it runs...does it do this...or is it just a wise tale?
i never had a deer run after i shot one....the ole 30.06 drops it where it stood!
but i never shot one with a bow yet!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Not sure about making them tough, but they SAY does affect the flavour.

i let the steaks sit(thaw)in the fridge for 2 days before cooking, seems to make a better steak.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've never thought there was any truth to this, but after seeing your post I did a bit of reading to see what I could find. There's an interesting article about the tenderness of meat here, which may lend some credence to the theory:
h__p://www.naturalhub.com/buy_food_meat_tenderness.htm

If we assume that the below paragraph is fact, a deer which hasn't been running wouldn't have it's leg muscles stressed at the time of death, and therefore wouldn't have the high pH level in its muscles. I'm still not sold on the whole thing, but at least there is a bit of scientific research supporting the wive's tale, which often isn't the case.

"MAJOR INFLUENCES

influence of stress

Stress prior to slaughter is one of the most important influences on ultimate meat tenderness. Research in Australia and in New Zealand has shown that when stress in transport, yarding, handling and slaughter was minimized, beef meat was consistently at the tender end of the scale, regardless of breed. Similar results have been shown for deer and for sheep.

In venison, studies of pH have shown that high pH meat is darker but less consistently tender than normal pH meat. The pH of living animals is around pH 7, but after death the sugars in the muscles are converted to lactic acid, lowering the pH. A normal, non - stressed animal has muscle pH of around pH 5.5 after death (24 hours after slaughter all the sugars have been converted).
It was found that high pH in venison leg muscles ( a muscle not normally affected by elevated pH, indicating stress before slaughter) were much tougher than normal leg muscles, even after six weeks aging. "

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's true that any stress and physical exertion will build up lactic acid in the muscle. That what gives you sore muscles the next day from working out. In some abitoirs they they have showers over the animal holding pens to soothe them before they are killed to prevent tough meat. I can't see much build up with the little bit of running a deer would do after being shot with an arrow. Sometimes they don't even know they are shot and just walk off and fall over. Maybe just hunt on days with a light rain so that they are soothed first

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Moat of the deer I have shot, ran a less than 100 yards. I would think that if an animal ran a "great distance, perhaps being pushed to hard after shot(with a lot of adrenaline in its blood stream maybe). Or lets say a moose that traveled a great distance coming to a call, and then is killed. The muscles in both are going to be very warm. This is going to probably make the meat more prone to spoil. Or at least "taint" the flavour, if the animal isn't skinned and cooled real fast.
I mean when compared to an animal standing feeding and unalarmed.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bottle 90% of the meat and there is no such thing as tough meat.
i will have to agree with you there!
i tried it a few years ago for the first time!
and i will always bottle a bunch of it from now on!
it is great when your at the camp or out with a bunch on the 4 wheelers in the winter!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think aging the meat is the key. Get the hide off and let it hang in a controlled environment if you can. I let mine hang 7 - 10 days with the hide off and it tastes great. Bottling is a nice option though and tastes great ice fishing..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts