New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to track the Rut if at all possible? Keeping in mind it will fluctuate between areas.

I have been noticing Rubs and scraps in zone 22.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Next week when the cold front sweeps in, should be the ''chase phase'' of the NB rut, a really good time to see bucks chasing does that are not in estreous yet, increase rubbing, but more scraping and doe groups starting to disperse from fawns, etc.

If you want to rattle a big NB buck, next week's the week IMHO.

After that, you'll catch'em on the trail of a doe or in peak of the rut behavior.

I find that buck deer are ''dummiest'' in the chase phase of the rut (ie: calling tactics work well).

Out in the open prairies and farm lands, the peak of the rut is also a gimme for a pop at a mature buck, 'cause in this period, where the doe goes, the buck follows.

I've had my best success during the 3rd and 4th week, especially when snow arrives early in the 4th week and the breeding clock seems to tick a little faster.

Good luck all and be safe out there.

G

·
FYI...there was an 8 pointer locked up with a doe in Oromocto yesterday out in broad daylight right beside the Tim Hortons/McDonalds Hwy exit. She fedd on the grass along the roadside behind Tims and he stood there looking at her and her only for over 15 minutes. I'd say some does are already in estrous, as per other years. Some early, the bulk in the middle, and some later. Like a bell curve.

I'm with Bulls...next week is THEE week to be hunting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've watched a doe with 2 fawns this morning and yesterday morning. Casually grazing. No buck in sight. This evening I took a drive to a different location altogether and spoke to a couple of guys that saw a buck chasing 2 does just minutes earlier. Saw the tracks too. It was a 6 pointer.

I had to laugh, we asked "Are you hunting?" - They said, "Not 6 pointers.". Encouraging about next week. Could get real interesting. This is my first year hunting around here so I'm getting excited seeing anything that looks like a deer. Fun times.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Necks are swelling and some are fighting, a few does coming in estrous but things haven't heated up yet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts