New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am looking in to getting tracks for my polaris 08 500ho efi ,am thinking about a tatoo 4s system from daves in woodstock.$3800.I tap trees in spring for maple syrup and used 4wheelers and snowmobile,but it's a fight sometimes to cross two small brooks on property.This is a hobby not a living but i keep trail in winter open to walk 3 boxers on ,i would rather walk in woods any day than on road and listen to the silence.I also made some birch syrup last season,and would like to try it again next spring ,its very different but good. So just wondering if anyone has any experance with tracks?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know what brand of tracks it was, but we used to use them at my old job in the winter. They make an amazing difference in the snow, compared to just tires you can go anywhere.
Just a few things to remember is that the rubber track can and will at some point (always at the worst possible time) come off the track, so make sure you have a small tool kit to be able to put it back on, and don't let ice build up in the middle of the track system or you will be running without the little wheels free turning and you can wear them down to a half moon shape, at which point there's no fixing the problem without new wheels

·
Registered
69 Posts
i had kimpex commander tracks on my 650 can am outlander... they worked great, i even put ice screws in the lugs for some extra bite on the glare ice and hard pack snow! only thing to remember is that you can and will get stuck... granted it takes ALOT more to do so... but when you do get stuck... haha YOU'RE STUCK... only happened to me a couple times.. other than that i was good. one thing i did was take the bearings out of the idler wheels before and after the season's use... its alot easier to find a bad bearing in the garage than wear the track out in the middle of the woods somewhere!
besides that by putting the tracks on it basically turned my atv into a tank... and i could still get close to 50 mph on good trails!
good luck!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I ran Kimpex tracks on a 450 Honda for one winter at work and put 1900 kms. on them. When I first got them they did come off but with a little maintenance, tightening every week, they ran flawlessly. The next winter I had a new Arctic Cat 500 and installed Mat Tracks on it. They were expensive but had self tighteners, their own suspension, and worked great on an automatic, under powered bike. I used them 2 winters and never had a problem. The big thing with the tracks is clean them after every use. If the slush freezes , you can lose an axle fairly easy. I used to run the Arctic Cat on the road for a bit to get everything out of them before loading it on the truck. I also stored the ATV inside a heated building whenever I could to make sure they stayed ice free. I have two outside taps on my house and one tap is hot water. Great for getting slush and ice from an ATV. Almost forgot,they steer quite stiff at slow speeds but once you get moving you can steer almost like a regular ATV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had Kimpex Cammanders on my 04 Sportsman 500 H.O. for two winters now and love them, use my atv more in the winter than any other season. I would also recomend storing your bike in a heated building. I find that they throw alot of snow and the heat from the engine melts it just enough to turn everything around there into a solid block of ice, including the foot break. After it's thawed out I would also check to make sure that no bolts in your mounting brackets are loose.
As for tracks coming off, I've never had that problem but have been wondering about how tight to keep them.
Hope this helps in making your decision.

One other thing, invest in a gas can carrier for your bike, she gets pretty thirsty turning those tracks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts