New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'All!

Just wondering if anyone has made their own securtiy lock box for their trail cams?

I had my Spypoint stollen last year, and it really made me realize that a cable wrapped around a tree and locked to a plastic camera housing is not secure at all.

I just bought a new Plotwatcher TLV camera, which is a neat little camera, but there is nowhere on the camera to lock it. Not secure at all. So I need a lock box.

Any suggestions, ideas, plans, etc, on a homemade lock box???

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Spy Point camera also, and decided to build a box myself. It's a little overkill, but I took some 1/8" steel plate and made a box, it has no top and the front is cut out so that the camera can do it's job. The camera slides in from the top(fit's snug in there) and there is a 3/4" peice of round bar across the top of the camera(from side to side, camera cannot be pulled out what so ever). There is a hole drilled at one end of the round bar(for a pad lock) and a big washer welded to the other end. I fasten the box to the tree with 5/16" lag bolts(2), deciding the angle needed, I shim the box(lag bolts are in the center of box in behind the camera). It takes about 10-15 min to set up, but in my case this camera stays out about 8 months or more at the same spot,(it's just a mater of unlocking the pad lock and sliding the round bar out, then slide the camera out from the top). You'll never pull the box off the tree and you won't take the camera out of the box. Then I have 2 more camera's(cheaper ones) that I move around, sometime I just use cables to lock these or nothing, but there deep in the woods.

It's kind of taking a chance using these camera's(some are very expensive). I wish when people walk and find a camera instead of stealing it, they would just smile
. In the past, I had other hunter's pictures takin', but the camera was still there. I thank these guy's.

The sad thing is, if someone really wants the camera, they can cut the tree I guess. Or maybe shoot it, but if they do they better make shure to pick up the peices because there is an SD card and a hard drive inside. And I even heard of people puting a chip inside of the camera(tracking device)so they would know what door to knock on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just a thought, but what about using one of the Army Surplus ammo boxes and making a few mods to lock it on the tree or keep the camera safely inside...I know they come in at least a couple of different sizes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Y'All!

Just wondering if anyone has made their own securtiy lock box for their trail cams?

I had my Spypoint stollen last year, and it really made me realize that a cable wrapped around a tree and locked to a plastic camera housing is not secure at all.

I just bought a new Plotwatcher TLV camera, which is a neat little camera, but there is nowhere on the camera to lock it. Not secure at all. So I need a lock box.

Thanks
I took an "out of service" electrical disconect switch. 30 amps is a size that will fit most cameras. Just gutted the insides and kept the lock mechanism so I can put a padlock. Made a hole in the hinged door just the size of the optical so the rest of the camera is also protected from the elements. Camo painted the enclosure and now its hard to see for an "intruder". The enclosure is mounted on a tree with all the hardware, screws, whatever, on the inside so once the door is locked, its not going anywhere. Any local electrical contractor should be able to dig one up from a demolition or refit.
There even is a 600 volt sticker on the front cover !!! LOL

·
Banned
736 Posts
I made this one with 1" inch square tubing and a Army ammo box. The camera, 12v external power and wire are all inside the box away from the weather/critters. Fastened to tree with two 6" inch lag bolts and secured with 5/16 steel wire rope/pad lock. A bit cumbersome but effective!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Y'All!

Thanks
Murray where in the province do you live and what are the dimensions of your camera? I have one that was used for a stealthcam at one time but have moved over to the Spypoints and was thinking about selling. Weighs a ton but would require a chainsaw to remove it.

Chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi folks. Thanks for all the suggestions and whatnot. Since I don't have the necessary tools to be making/modifying a lock box, I decided to buy a manufactured security box. Like Mark suggested, I bought a security box from www.trailnsecuritycameras.ca. They were great to deal with. They didn't normally stock the CamLockBox that I needed, but it was no problem to make a special order at no extra charge.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well I finally got around to making some homemade trail cam lock boxes - it really was simple and cheap.
After locating a couple of old military lock boxes, I used a jig saw, drill, paint I had laying around and an old lock I found here at home.
So - I pretty much have $0 tied up in them.

Going to use lag screws to secure them to tree.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You did a Great Job on the Lock Boxes as you Know it is nearly impossible to stop some one determined to steal but Now with Cams sending pictures to storage boxes Hid away from the camera they are taking a Chance Messing with Peoples cameras. I always set up in off the beaten path so to speak and multiple cams in a area and people in my camera area are getting there Pics taken With out realizing it. I sort of Have game camera spots and people spots . Setting Multiple cams make your chances of getting thieves more likely.
The Lock boxes I make are mostly for bears. I try to camo my Cams when I make them also , But I do us a cable.. setting a cam up high watching a Problem Cam is a one of many ways of Catching Thieves.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yeah - I've had a bear tear down a cam and a thief take one as well.
They certainly won't put an end to the thefts - but at least they'll have to put a little effort into getting them now.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
excellent...need to go get an ammo box now...

·
Registered
245 Posts
excellent...need to go get an ammo box now...
Drop me a pm if you like, might save you a couple bucks. I am not sure where Si-nan'-sis is, but I have a bunch. If I have the size you are after, you are more than welcome to one free of charge.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Thanks..

Si-nan'-sis is = Fredericton..
Ill drop you PM

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well...I am happy to say that my homemade lock boxes saved my cameras a couple of times this year from bears.

Had the cam up for 2hrs before this one hit.

Two out of three cams have had bears at them this year.

PICT0012_zps6ab413ea.jpg

PICT0016_zps3ff24133.jpg

PICT0017_zpse9c36fd1.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't know if you guys have ever tried this, but whenever I handle my camera, I give it a spray of scent blocker after I put it back on the tree and I have had bears mere feet from it dozens of times but none have ever gotten closer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts