New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know this has happened to some of you before, but this is my first time having to deal with this. Some low life SOB stole my trail camera some time between last Sunday and this afternoon. I'd had it out in one spot since April and wasn't seeing much, so I moved it last Sunday to a spot I planned on hunting, in hopes that it would catch some movement. Apparently it caught someone's eye instead. Dunno how, but they saw it, and stole it. Now, I don't have the money to replace it. I work two jobs just to keep myself in hunting gear, and I like to buy nice things. My laptop crashed two weeks ago and I just replaced that. Had to take the rifle to a gunsmith - that costs money too. Now, since I planned on sitting this spot tomorrow, I went out to check the cam and pull the card so I could see what kind of activity came to the apples, C'Mere Deer and Monster Raxx I put out. All that was left on the tree was the cable lock. The strap was at the base of the tree. I could have killed someone. Now that I think of it, I'd love to break every single finger of the sorry @$$ that took it. What's equally as bad is the fact that they've got that prime hunting spot all tore up with their fourwheelers. 140+ acres of private property that only I have permission to access, and it's like a danged highway.

Karma. That's all I gotta say.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry about your luck. I have heard of it all to often; trail cams, tree stands even cutting down tree stands. Some have no respect for others. I have even seen persons sitting in stands others took the time to set up. Respect for other can only be taught; with a boot to the ass.
When you try again, make it point not to use the same trail in too often.
Keep trying and what goes around will come around.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bad deal - my next door neighbor had his stolen this week too- I think he had it out in Odell somewhere - we were talking a few weeks ago about "bear proofing" cameras - but sometimes its the two legged bears you have to watch out for. I don't know how you were set up, but it's better to be out of sight of a road or a well used trail, but nowhere is guaranteed safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad deal - my next door neighbor had his stolen this week too- I think he had it out in Odell somewhere - we were talking a few weeks ago about "bear proofing" cameras - but sometimes its the two legged bears you have to watch out for. I don't know how you were set up, but it's better to be out of sight of a road or a well used trail, but nowhere is guaranteed safe.
It wasn't on a well used trail (at least not til season opened, apparently) - and the only access is through private property. It was well off the trail, and no one was out there when I went in to set it up the day before season started. Then, I go back in yesterday and the trail was beat down real bad - rutted up from the wheelers going through (again, private property). I just keep telling myself that I did everything I could to try and stop this from happening... all I have left is the strap they slit with a jack knife and the cable lock they left attacked to the tree --- and the piece of plastic they broke off of the cam in their attempts to nab it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
that sucks man and I worry about that happening to me too. I actually took 1 of my camera's down last week just to avoid this happening cause its not my main location and it was easy picking. I leave it out in the summer and early fall but come deer season I take it down. I hate to but at least I get to keep my cam

Respect is a word that people really need to teach and practice.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sorry too hear of your lose, I didn't put mine out for fear of losing it. I found a security box for it but too close to the season to get it out and still be useful. Did you have it in a metal secruity box?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm going to again have to quote Bulls-eye and say that this sort of thing lights my arse-candle!!

Is there a brand of cam that would at least be useless to a would be thief because of some code entry or something like that?

Crappy thing that happened --- tough break man.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't have it in a security box... I was using a cable lock to keep it on the tree. Whoever took it broke some plastic off of it trying to get the lock off of it. I'm hoping that they've cracked the housing or something so that moisture will get in and it will be useless to them...

If I invest in another one (which won't be this year, for sure... not after booking two pheasant hunts and replacing a crashed laptop)... I won't leave it out past the start of the season. There are too many idiots masquerading as hunters around nowadays. I got news that a friend's father had his trail cam stolen this past week as well, and I spoke with someone else about the matter, and his tree stand was stolen.

They'll get what's coming to them, eventually. Someone's gotta talk some time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts