New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two trail cameras stolen from my tree stand in Harewood, NB sometime either Monday, November 10th in the PM or Tuesday, November 11th in the morning.One is a black "Wildgame Innovations" while the other is a Cuddyback Ambush inside a lock box that they pried off the tree and took everything.

I was unfortunately off at my second job looking after an autistic man in a special care home. While I was off working my second job... to try to make ends meet, someone went into my tree stand and snagged two cams. I had purchased the Cuddyback last month and felt like I was missing pictures... so I put up a second one on the tree beside while I worked on the settings.

I have gone through a range of emotions since I found out my cams were stolen, beginning with rage but now it's mostly disappointment. Disappointment that the thieves have stolen more than something material from me. They have stolen my sense of excitement over this deer season, and absolutely ruined my day. They've also stolen my sense that the fraternity of hunters and fishers are an upstanding group of sportsmen (and women) that care about each other and the game we chase. Since I had my first trail camera stolen in September 2013 during moose season, I've started putting lock boxes and cable locks on things... but it appears they just might slow them down a bit. I have met so many nice men and women through my pursuit of the outdoors but it appears we are no better than the general population. When I found that I had those cameras stolen I felt like I have been punched in the stomach.

I was raised in a loving home and taught to treat others the way I would like to be treated. I am trying to raise my only son the same way. When we go into the woods, we respect game laws, we always pick up other people's trash, we chase our game with honour, we are kind to those that we meet, and we would never ever take something that is not ours. In spite of these thefts, I will never change any of that.

I will never understand the motivation for someone to take something that is not theirs. How can you look your neighbour in the eye knowing that you may have taken something of theirs? What could ever justify that disrespect?

In a forum with this many members, there is a good chance there are some on here who have done exactly the same and stolen someone else's property. There may even be one of the thieves reading my post right now.

Allow me to end with one last thought. To the thieves out there, whether those who have stolen my things or others, to those who litter our woods with trash, and to those who would poach and kill something out of season and against our game laws... I hold no malice toward you. I wish that you would change your ways or perhaps take up a different hobby and stay away from our woods and streams as you have no business calling yourself a sportsman.

I feel sorry for you.

That is all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had two trail cameras stolen from my tree stand in Harewood, NB sometime either Monday, November 10th in the PM or Tuesday, November 11th in the morning.One is a black "Wildgame Innovations" while the other is a Cuddyback Ambush inside a lock box that they pried off the tree and took everything.

I was unfortunately off at my second job looking after an autistic man in a special care home. While I was off working my second job... to try to make ends meet, someone went into my tree stand and snagged two cams. I had purchased the Cuddyback last month and felt like I was missing pictures... so I put up a second one on the tree beside while I worked on the settings.

I have gone through a range of emotions since I found out my cams were stolen, beginning with rage but now it's mostly disappointment. Disappointment that the thieves have stolen more than something material from me. They have stolen my sense of excitement over this deer season, and absolutely ruined my day. They've also stolen my sense that the fraternity of hunters and fishers are an upstanding group of sportsmen (and women) that care about each other and the game we chase. Since I had my first trail camera stolen in September 2013 during moose season, I've started putting lock boxes and cable locks on things... but it appears they just might slow them down a bit. I have met so many nice men and women through my pursuit of the outdoors but it appears we are no better than the general population. When I found that I had those cameras stolen I felt like I have been punched in the stomach.

I was raised in a loving home and taught to treat others the way I would like to be treated. I am trying to raise my only son the same way. When we go into the woods, we respect game laws, we always pick up other people's trash, we chase our game with honour, we are kind to those that we meet, and we would never ever take something that is not ours. In spite of these thefts, I will never change any of that.

I will never understand the motivation for someone to take something that is not theirs. How can you look your neighbour in the eye knowing that you may have taken something of theirs? What could ever justify that disrespect?

In a forum with this many members, there is a good chance there are some on here who have done exactly the same and stolen someone else's property. There may even be one of the thieves reading my post right now.

Allow me to end with one last thought. To the thieves out there, whether those who have stolen my things or others, to those who litter our woods with trash, and to those who would poach and kill something out of season and against our game laws... I hold no malice toward you. I wish that you would change your ways or perhaps take up a different hobby and stay away from our woods and streams as you have no business calling yourself a sportsman.

I feel sorry for you.

That is all.
Well said deer dreamer, I agree with you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very good message Deerdreamer!

I also had a trail camera stolen this weekend, not to mention a buddy of mine as well just outside of Fredericton and needless to say the range of emotions was quite similar to your experience. I was absolutely outraged and I feel as though my hunting area has been violated! How can I trust to put another cam out there now? My outrage is about much more than the monetary value of the camera as I use my cameras to find mature deer that I feel are in MY OPINION ready to be harvested. Without this information and a limited amount of time to hunt it is very difficult to get on these large mature whitetails. I live for the hunting season and this thief really sucked the enjoyment out of one of the best weekends of the year......needless to say I am incredibly disappointed. Is theft becoming more common? I hope I catch this person and for his sake I hope my current range of emotion isn't anger!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Deerdreamer.Sadness came over me when I was reading your post,A lad your age working and tring to make a living and some jerk steals your cameras.I,ll keep my ears open.Ihave 2 trail cams here and not using them.You can use them if you want,just come over to the house.Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys all for your encouragement! I know there are still many good people out there like you guys, and that's what keeps me going...

Dave, you are a great person and your offer is very touching. I won't risk putting up another camera in that spot this year... so I think we'll be okay! We'll be talking over the next couple of weeks and will get over to see you again... this time on a night I'm around!

Wayne

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been making locking cables relatively cheaply using coated aircraft cable, and was hoping that would deter thieves but now you have me concerned that it won't stop them???

·
Registered
867 Posts
Locks will likely deter some thefts...or at least they'll have to make a conscious effort to come back with tools rather than just a crime of opportunity.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I certainly feel for you Deerdreamer...I've had two trail cams stolen since June (FFS!! Thread) and both of them were locked in lock boxes secured to a tree.
She's certainly a sad state of affairs...

·
Registered
473 Posts
It is sad to think people refer to themselves as hunters when their title should be thief. I have walked past a few trail cameras and somehow felt I was violating the persons hunting space. The first time I saw one in the woods I gave the hunters a thumbs up in the trail camera.

I have lost one camera in all my time using them, thanks in part by my 1000 yard rule. The camera I lost was not to a THIEF HUNTER but to a pot grower. He pulled down maples and wired in at the top of the trees, 15 gal pots with a feeder bottle, really quite an elaborate set. I asked around from some pot heads asking when do they pick the stuff their growing. This was inside the city limits so the 1000 yard rule was not in play. Three weeks before harvest time I used up a gallon of Round-Up on the plants, left a note explaining the economics of trade offs.

bucksnducks hit it right on the head "She's certainly a sad state of affairs...."

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have walked past a few trail cameras and somehow felt I was violating the persons hunting space. The first time I saw one in the woods I gave the hunters a thumbs up in the trail camera.
This^^
Kinda sad really,I'm hunting private land in a dead end road with rediculous deer trails beat into the snow like rabbit trails,and still I'm leary about hanging a cam in light of the repeated troubles the landowner tells me he has with trespassers?
I'm hoping 1000yards plus off the beaten paths plus camouflaged in the least likely place that trespassers might venture might gather me some pics?

·
Registered
55 Posts
A buddy of mine in NS had two stolen two years ago. His third he set up well of the beaten path, or so he thought. He had it set to take 6 pics at a time. The first pic was legs standing right in front. the next 3 were nothing. The next two were the hairiest full moon I have ever seen. We asked around but no idea who it was lol. I always wave if I happen across a camera in the woods and then move on elsewhere. Never had the nerve for leaving a pic like that behind though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
mines in a fairly obvious out in the open spot...had to people drive in to it...one in a truck...one on a quad....both looked...had the whoops expression on their face and backed out....no harm no foul I guess

I figured it would be stolen in no time....pleasantly surprised....might be gone tomorrow..haha

·
Registered
867 Posts
Joined the victim club yesterday,one outta two cameras stolen,ironically from private farmland where I have exclusive permission vs camera on crown land safe and sound....theiving tresspassers...grrrrrrrrr!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts