New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just don't buy one! Simple! I have land where an ATV trail crosses it. At one time the road was built by an Oil company doing exploration years ago. Many years afterwards the local snowmobile and ATV club took it over and not once ever contacted the land owners when they decided to charge people for using the trail.

If anything I should be getting a pass for free since I allow them to use my land for their trail. I wonder how they would lke it if I decided to drop a half dozen trees across the traI on a friday afternoon and returned on Saturday to chunck it up for fire wood.

Just wait until the government puts user fees to access crown land. They are bitching now about rutted roads and it's just a matter of time before they implement a fee.

It's all a bunch of BullshIt!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gents

Just a little insight. I feel your pain by the way.
The clubs (mostly snowmobile) lease this land from the government. In doing so they have the insurance on these trails. The insurance company dictates the rules. If they don't follow the rules no insurance.
So here is an example, If someone crashes on YOUR land and there is no lease? You will be held responsible and could be sued. If someone crashes on your land and a club has leased this land from you, the club has the insurance for the trail and you are releaved of any responsibility.
So this applies to Crown land as well.
I don't want to agrue as I hear what your saying. However, in this day and age insurance seems to rule the world?
Are you sure on this? Working with various LEO agencies and having been to many accidents on private/public land and have never heard of an individual being held responsible. Example; Car vs. House. Would the home owners be sued for having their house there?

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
this is absolute bull...pretty soon you will need to pay to take a dump!!!! I wish they would just leave the trails alone let the bushes grow across far as I'm conserened they have provided axcess to the lazy people who need maps to find there way around the back country..I got my first atv when i was 9 way back in83 and have been going on these trails that the club has now takin over..they fill in the pot holes and widen the trails put rocks in the mud holes so the ones who want to ride and not get muddy can ....????????????????this is just plain stupid...rrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
84 Posts
this is absolute bull...pretty soon you will need to pay to take a dump!!!! I wish they would just leave the trails alone let the bushes grow across far as I'm conserened they have provided axcess to the lazy people who need maps to find there way around the back country..I got my first atv when i was 9 way back in83 and have been going on these trails that the club has now takin over..they fill in the pot holes and widen the trails put rocks in the mud holes so the ones who want to ride and not get muddy can ....????????????????this is just plain stupid...rrrrrrrrrrrr
X2. I still don't own an ATV. Don't really need one. I know how to walk. I do own a couple of old skidoos and I am in the same position. I get a kick out of how they say it is only $25 for a permit. I believe that;s how the various Snowmobile clubs started out. But it's a little more than $25 now isn't it. Just like Frank McKenna's "free" trout fishing license. Total BS. For the lazy people and speed demons just like Utopia said.

·
Registered
581 Posts
X2. I still don't own an ATV. Don't really need one. I know how to walk. I do own a couple of old skidoos and I am in the same position. I get a kick out of how they say it is only $25 for a permit. I believe that;s how the various Snowmobile clubs started out. But it's a little more than $25 now isn't it. Just like Frank McKenna's "free" trout fishing license. Total BS. For the lazy people and speed demons just like Utopia said.
Yeah because every person who snowmobiles and buys a trail pass to enjoy well marked, mapped, groomed, warming huts stocked and kept up, bridges built and maintained are lazy and speed demons. Get off your high horse! I spend a $150 a year on a pass and never think about it because of the quality of the trails we have and I am pretty sure groomers run on diesel that cost $1.40 a litre. ATV trails are a whole different ball game all together in my opinion, pretty hard to regulate this as there are thousands of connecting trails that are not maintained and not part of the federation trails. They should leave it the way it is, if you belong to a club and want to pay a membership than great but to enforce and regulate public trails on crown land is a little much. $40 reggie should include a pass!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I disagree with forcing me to pay for a trail pass. Up until last year i always payed my pass. I stopped last year because my area was getting to be a joke. They groomed once every few weeks and the trails were a mess. When i went to a local meeting to offer help it made me realize it was not worth it. The whole meeting all they did was squabble. Basically my only way to show my displeasure is to not pay the club my hard earned money. Once enough people stop giving them $$ for services that are not performed they may actually smarten up and do what is required. For those of you that are going to come back with a comment saying that without the $$ for trail passes that they cannot upkeep the trails, to this my answer is, it's funny we had trails before the clubs. The trails are all made by individuals that did not get paid to make. The clubs simply take them over when all the work is done, in my opinion
Now if the government gets involved then I know this system is on the downward spiral. All the government is going to do is try to use this $$ to budget the books. A good example is our $$ we spend on hunting/fishing licenses and moose draws. I would like to see in reality where that $$$$$$$$$$$ goes. When the fees first came out we were all told it was going back into hunting and fishing. Fees go up and fishing and hunting areas suffer more and more each year.

·
Registered
581 Posts
What trails were they Jeep, I ran the trails from Riverview by the petro canada out to caledonia a few times and I must admit they were in awful condition and there was plenty of snow at that point. Some clubs are better than others, I belong to Goshen and I feel the trails and shelters in there area are awesome and well maintained. Guess its different depending on where you ride out of!

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are several Federation pay outs back to the local Snowmobile clubs , These payouts are dependant on the number of trail passes sold , Snowmobile reg and Groomer Hours . A small portion of the total money collected stays to run the Federation for things like Insurance for all offical Trails etc.This money once in the hands of the local clubs is spent on trail improvements, Maintance , Shelters , sinage and the cost to run a Groomer etc . It takes all the money to keep things going. All the work done on trails is a volenteer basis.And YES some of these trails are on Crown to wit they are Leased from the crown .and some are on Private land with land owner permission. This Whole system of trails is very dependand on private land as there is more private land closer to populated area and the last thing that the local clubs want to do is anger the land owner. The clubs are very thankfull for co-oporative land owners .Alot of Trails for the Groomers need to be alot wider than an ATV trail and extensive brushing is required at some locations.After a couple good sno falls an ATV cannot travel through deep snow and some feel they have the right to use a snowmobile trail and some clubs dont say to much when the ATV s are close to the towns as the ATV would keep them beat down anyway.But the problem occurs when the ATV s are at the shelters and trails several KM from the towns. People who are active in there local club are not LAZY as they are brushing trails , building bridges , shelters etc. Now in the off Sled Season the ATV use the trails that are brushed back , bridges , shelters etc , and this is Great as many people get to use the trail improvements. The Federation along with the local clubs have a complete Prov system connecting st john , Moncton,Sussex , Freddy , Bathurst, Miramachi and many towns in between . THIS IS A VOLINTEER SYSTEM ,NOT LAZY PEOPLE.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts