New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well last evening turned out to be one for the ages.

I whent to my ground blind aroumnd 1 pm, sat there for 3 hours then desided to try out my other stand, I get to it and sit down and do a lilte ratling with no result, About 45 minutes before dark I deside to head up to the field to watch it for the last half hour or so. So I work my way up to the field, then into a ditch between the two fields. I clear out a few twigs and branches, and minutes later, SNAP. then out he steps, About 300 yarda from me. I no hes big but im not sure how big, Then the bucks starts a fast past walk right in my direction. He soon closes into 80 yards, And the wind switches ever so slighly, if he makes it to where i whant him hes gonna smell me. He comes to 70 then 60 then 50 and he stops sundenly and freezes. I said to myself, Its now or never, put up the range finder 52 yards, Frig Long shot, but I practice these distances reguraly and am pretty confitable with the shot on perfect condition, So I draw back, Settle the pin and squeeze it of. As I shoot I think he must of heard the broahead in flight, and he turns real fast, and I hear CRACK, A mix of emotion goes threw my body, I HIT him, but worried about the placement I watched the deer run off as fast as a bullet, OH NO where did the arrow hit, The deer peels away 40 to 50 then 60 then at 70 I notice a few off beat steps, At 80 he slows then drops. YES I said to my self. My heart pounding and my body shaking, I still am not sure as to what deer it was, I knew he was decent but wasnt sure what he was, So I walk up to where he was standing and there was a tone of blood, I look for 10 seconds for my arrow and didnt see it, Then I head over to my buck, Nock and arrown and walk up slowly, Worried about him getting up I walk upwind and as slow as possible. 30 yards then 20 then 10 , then it sets in hes dead, I let out a big howl. And grab the atlers, I cant believe it. Ive hunted since ive been old enough to walk, And by hunting I mean I am a hunter, ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I live for hunting and its all I can think about everyday. Upon further inspection I am amazed and a litle dissapointed. As the deer turned on the shot the arrow ended up entering just above his throat patch, but I had a complete pass threw just behing the last rib, It was a very lethal shot and took out the heart and one lung and also slit his throat, I in no way trying to deffend my shot, as I no in the handbock it says not to do as I did, But I am more then confident with my bow and where my arrows are going. Im just lucky that the arrow hit in a lethal spot and I didnt wound a buck of a lifetime. I said to myself I wouldnt shoot at something that far but its hard to know what you will do when a deer like this is in front of you.

This buck has been on my hit list since the first of summer, I have had pictures of him all summer long, Then about a week before bow season he and his brother or son im prettty sure, Dissapeared,
Then stand where this deer has been hanging out has been a dissapointent until today, Wrong wind and bad weather has kept me away from it. Its all even sweeter consider friday night while I was away at my hunting camp my wife calls and tells me my buck was hit on the road right in front of my buck stand,

Here are a few pictures from the start of summer until then end of this old deers life. By the way this buck seems to be on his way downhill believe it or not. My taxidermist guess him at up to 9 years old, he is sending tooth away to make sure, But the deers jaw bone reveal nearly complete wear of his teeth almost right down to his gums. He dressed at 206 pounds witch makes me believe he is past his prime and his major sway back might also confirm this, But who knows ill find out his age soon enought, Also he should make pope and young im hopping anyways.
]
Here is a few more pictures of my 2010 buck

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Good for ya NBDH, great story, great lifelong achievement and a truly great buck.

I know exactly how you feel about taking a throat patch shot. Some will say it's unethical, but what you read in the books and what goes on out there in the field (in your case really <<in the field<< lol) is a totally different ball game.

I've taken 2 8 pointers that presented me only with a frontal rifle shot, but I trust my equipment and my ability and I was able to harvest 2 beautiful bucks with 2 cartridges.

My guess would be for this deer a 4.5 maybe 5.5yr old.

Again, congratulations on a truly awesome deer.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great story & great buck!!
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You da man! NBDH!! You made a great killing shot! Feel proud, you've earned it! Thats a buck of a lifetime! ................and he's just "Gotta" go on the wall dude!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts