New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice! I've been meaning to do the same to one I have just sitting here. Maybe some day.......................

·
Registered
634 Posts
So you're beefing up the frame with added axle and extending it to haul a bike, moose or whatever???

That's a great idea! I imagine that would change the centre of gravity somewhat? How do you determine where to put the second axle and leaf springs? More towards the back end I assume.

Be neat to see the finished results.

·
Banned
736 Posts
The rule is 60%/40% centerline for tandem axle applications/trailer bed. I will be adding 5'feet to the front of the bed and relocating the tongue. My total bed lenght will be 13'feet divided by 2 = 6.6 feet plus 1" inch for every feet of total bed lenght so 6'.6"+13"= 7'.7" will be my centerline from front of bed to back. You can cheat 10%-15% depending on weight distribution.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So, will your cargo area be in front or behind the tent trailer and will you side load your quad?
We have an older hard top and now you have me thinking!
We want to be able to take the trailer and the bike but the bike won't fit on the back of a Dakota so we were thinking full size 1/2 ton but I really like this idea.

·
Banned
736 Posts
So, will your cargo area be in front or behind the tent trailer and will you side load your quad?
We have an older hard top and now you have me thinking!
We want to be able to take the trailer and the bike but the bike won't fit on the back of a Dakota so we were thinking full size 1/2 ton but I really like this idea.
The cargo area will be more like a basket in the back and the quad will be at the front of trailer loaded to the side with the fixed ramp I use on my utility trailer. Better to have more weight at tongue to avoid trailer sway.
Gross vehicle weight will be about 2200 lbs with quad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts