New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what has to be done if you buy a used rifle from someone that is not registered ? is it a complicated process and are they going to ask from who the gun was bought ect..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The Amnesty is still in effect until May.
I've never had them ask me who I bought the firearm from.
I just simply tell them I have an unregistered firearm here that I would like to have registered, and they do it.
Thats what the Amnesty is for...You arent held criminally responsible for having an unregistered firearm.
They've extended it twice now already, and I'm guessing this May that they will extend it again.
Hope This Helps!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, never knew that Wonksy, this is great news! I find most unregistered guns are a dime a dozzen, alot of people just want to get rid of them if they are not registered... I could have picked up a beautiful Marlin 444 unregistered for next to nothing a few months back... my dad was just telling me last week he could have got a nice Remington pump 12g a couple weeks ago, said he could have picked it up for $100 unregistered. BLOODY
all the deals I have missed out on

·
Registered
614 Posts
Wonsky got it.
But do it by telephone, not online.
It's far easier and faster by phone, with fewer questions.
On-line there is a question along the lines of "why is this gun only being registered now," or something like that.
They don't ask you that when you do it by phone.
It's really quite a painless process. They just want you to register your firearms, not give you a hard time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do you still have to have the gun "verified" to get it registered? I had a winchester 12ga that I got rid of because when i tried to register it they said i had to take it and get it verified by an authorized person to verify that it was indeed what i said it was and that the barrel dimensions and description was accurate, so i said screw that and sold it for 100$

·
Registered
35 Posts
I registered a winchester 12 ga. earlier this week on-line. I called the number on the site to have the shotgun "varified", they were very helpful and told me step by step what to do. I then registered on-line, which only took a few minutes (from start to finish took less than an hour before the varification). When asked why it was not registered before I simply said that I received it from a person who did not want the bother of the registration. Seconds later the registration was accepted and I printed off the temporary registration.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you still have to have the gun "verified" to get it registered? I had a winchester 12ga that I got rid of because when i tried to register it they said i had to take it and get it verified by an authorized person to verify that it was indeed what i said it was and that the barrel dimensions and description was accurate, so i said screw that and sold it for 100$
Verification is done over the phone. You will need the barrel length, magazine capacity (if applicable), make, model, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts