New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you hunt out of someone else's blind?
Yes, if he wasn't in it1947.50%
Yes, if I had permission1435.00%
No - it's not mine717.50%

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What are the ethics around waterfowl blinds on public land, guys? I have seen a lot of empty blinds while I've been out walking up ducks. I know a lot of guys rarely hunt after opening day, and I wouldn't mind using their spots if they are not in them, but I don't want to break some unwritten rule. It just seems silly to me to have all the good areas staked out and have nobody able to hunt in them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I usually hunt the old blinds after the long weeknd, by then 90% of guys have had enough, unless I see the blind is being still used on occasion, such as new shells lying around, fresh tracks or decoys still out, then i leave it be, but for the other ones its fair game, you are lucky to be able to get to most old blinds now, where i hunt most of them you can only see the top 6 inches and the rest is under water, I drove over mine yesterday with the boat

·
Registered
614 Posts
I do like Pond Jumper said.
I personally put my phone number and name on my blind. That way, anyone can call me anytime if they are wondering if they can use it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do like Pond Jumper said.
I personally put my phone number and name on my blind. That way, anyone can call me anytime if they are wondering if they can use it.
This has also been my thoughts regardin the issue as well. After the long weekend they are fair game in my eyes as long as there isn't sign of hunters being there recently. I love the idea of name and phone number... I do this as well.. wished more would ti be on the safe sid and not step on others toes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive done it before and its happened to me in my blind,your taking the chance to take advantage of someones hard work,if they decide to show up dont be rude and do your best to pack up and get our of his way.just my opinion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Like everyone else said after the long weekend , I would use them as long as no fresh sign . If show up just say thought you where done using it , get your gear and move . As far as my blind , it three if ya want use it go for it , but if I come along just move over so I can hunt with ya too . I'm easy but not cheap

·
Registered
317 Posts
As long as no one is in it and there are no deacoys still out it should be fair game to use someones old blind, and if they show up you can just move to the next one over, I was out tonoight and and I was the only one in the whole marsh and dozens of empty blinds but most were under water.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That was funny but true. Howevr after the opener on public land ,help yourself. One thing I didnt see above was "No need to leave please join our hunt" Maintain a proper attitude when dealing with others . I mean the last thing you want is to threaten someone if they dont get out of your blind only have them setup across from you and retaliate by sky busting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thats funny.

It's like saying nobody owns ice fishing shacks if they are on public waters. Just move in and take over and maybe let the shack builder fish if he is nice to you. ha

That reminds me of an old court case where an ice fishing HOLE was found to be the property of the person who drilled it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This boils down to ethics.

If the owner of the blind comes along, then pack up your stuff, and move to the next.
Where we go, we know the people around us, and we build in the exact same spot each year, and have for the past 25 years.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My though is if they show up a 1/2 hr before day light and I am in there blind and it is a kept up blind I would move on if they show up at shooting time or later they are welcome to join me or move on, the golden hr is no time to be moving around. evening shoot is same way 2 hrs before I would offer to move last hr or later I see no sense in moving and if I am alone I would welcome them to stay if I had a partner, 3 is a crowd in a blind and 4 hunters 1 blind just would not work for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just joined awhile ago, see these posts are old. where we hunt the guys are good about asking we all know each other and 99 0/0 will ask. I have no issues with someone using my blind if Im not there if I show up I want whoever to leave. It takes a good day to build a decent, lot of work and time to spend to walk away if someone else is there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts