New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I had a great first week, saw two huge bucks on opening day in broad daylight, and had lots of close encounters with does and fawns. Then week 2 came along and the freaking deer vanished! I didn't see a deer all week until Saturday night (2 does with 2 fawns). Weird how they just vanished for a week.

I hear that deer vanishing for a week in October is pretty common. Have any of you experienced this phenomenon of vanishing deer in October?

I'm just glad to see they are back....hopefully the bucks will return soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been observing 2 does and 3 fawns all summer/early fall long. Anytime of day really. Over the past 10 days or so they all but vanished. Spotted just one doe 2 nights ago but nothing more than that. Have yet to spot a buck.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I wonder if it has more to do with everyone throwing bait out in the woods which changes the deers natural patterns and feeding locations or the intrusion of hunters in the woods come October?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I am not a bow hunter but would tend to agree with Bowtech as most rifle hunters who bait start baiting in early Oct and this increases human presence in the woods and the deer take a few days to adjust. Plus the small game season opened so the gun shots will be increasing.

Girlscout - this has nothing to do with Xbows..lord knows how those things make for a interesting conversation on here.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Agreed. More human presence causes changes in behavior/patterns

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay they're back!!!

I had 4 does and a nice buck at 45 yards tonight. They just wouldn't close the gap. But, at least they're back!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts