New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey y'all,,,,
As the snow flies up here in New Brunswick, I'm waitin' on the ATF in Virginia to send my "gun Permit" out and I'm wearing out wild turkey calls and videos...and it sure helps pass the time.Of course, mama wants me to take all that camo and face mask off as I sit in front of the big sscreen tv watching an old tom approach my "blind" on video. What I really want to know is how the heck she can even see me...all "camo"ed up? Back to the darned snow... Still, as snow and winter goes, we aren't that bad off...at least in my area of NB. I talked with aa couple of the guys in Vermont and they've got between three and five feet of snow down there in the woods and fields! They say the turkeys are doing okay though, hanging handy to food sources like farm manure piles or visiting residnets homes where they get "food handouts". So...with a snow cover like that, some do succumb to winter weather but this seems to add to the argument that these birds could do quite well right here in the "picture" province. What do you think? Ray

·
Registered
409 Posts
We raised a few here and through the winter we had a snap for about two weeks below -20C and although we were feeding them they did OK no problems but they didn't wander far during those days and didn't appear very energetic.
They didn't go into the deep snow much mostly stayed where it was plowed but when they came down from roost in the mornings preffered landing in the deep snow vs the paved areas.
A hardy bird for sure,I don't think they would have a problem around here.
I'm lookin fwd to hunting them in Maine...passport is on its way...come on May!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
We raised a few here and through the winter we had a snap for about two weeks below -20C and although we were feeding them they did OK no problems but they didn't wander far during those days and didn't appear very energetic.
They didn't go into the deep snow much mostly stayed where it was plowed but when they came down from roost in the mornings preffered landing in the deep snow vs the paved areas.
A hardy bird for sure,I don't think they would have a problem around here.
I'm lookin fwd to hunting them in Maine...passport is on its way...come on May!!!
How big of a process is it to hunt turkeys in maine. What kind of $$ are we looking at. I would love to give that a try.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Need a passport of course

If you are bowhunting...no dealings with ATF and waiting.

I haven't hunted either of these places but I am going with someone who has.
He being one of NS's better bear guides I am trusting his judgement %110 cuz I KNOW he knows what he's talking about.
I believe we purchase our turkey license online right from home here....
We will be turkey hunting with NE Outfitters

Click here

·
Registered
726 Posts
KPR remember when you do your licence online that you need the Big Game Licence plus the turkey tag, not just a turkey tag. Just a friendly reminder.

Maine's Big Game Species: Deer, Moose, Bear, Turkeys, Bobcats and Raccoons

Turkey Permit (Spring): A Spring/Fall Turkey permit is required in addition to a hunting license that allows hunting of big game or an archery license for hunters 10 years of age or older to hunt Wild Turkey during the spring Wild Turkey hunting season. In addition, holders of a Spring/Fall Turkey permit may purchase a Second Spring Turkey permit. See Turkey Hunting for more information

Big Game Hunting (16 years and older) - $139.00

Spring/Fall Turkey - $54.00

Second Spring Turkey - $20.00

·
Registered
155 Posts
Waiting on the ATF too... getting antsy. 95 days til my hunt!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts