New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to rent a piece of private land for deer hunting this fall and possibly years to come. It would be for the first week of the season, Oct 25th to 31st. Anywhere in the province with a decent deer population would be alright. Don't need a camp or anything as long as I can park my trailer nearby.

I know I am a bit on the late side but I just found out that the crown land I usually hunt just got under major forestry operations, so I'm out of a hunting spot...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
As Girlscout said, hunting leases are illegal activity here in NB. You can pay for access, accomodations, guide fee, trailer lot, etc but not hunting rights.

By the way...How much you willing to pay for a trailer lot with no hook-up:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Girlscout & Bowtech - can you provide a link to the Act or Regulations that make it illegal to lease land for exclusive access? Game animals are the property of the Crown and can't be bought or sold. However, I believe that it is perfectly legal to post your property as no hunting without permission, and then only provide permission to whomever had paid you for it. I am willing to be proven wrong if someone can provide the actual legislation.

There is a broader debate to be had about whether restricting hunting access on a piece of private property to only those who pay for it is ethical or "right", but I do not believe it is illegal in NB.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
From the Fish and Wildlife Act

3(2) Except as otherwise provided by this Act, and except
for riparian angling rights, every person commits an
offence who, directly or indirectly,
a. sells, trades or barters or offers for sale, trade or
barter hunting, trapping, snaring or angling rights over
any land or water, or
b. purchases or offers to purchase hunting, trapping,
snaring or angling rights over any land or water.

http://www.gnb.ca/0062/PDF-acts/f-14-1.pdf

You can have an access fee but you can't sell the hunting rights. Fine line since as you say you can post it yellow and only allow one person to hunt but you can't charge him for it. You can charge him for guide fees, trailer lot or whatever you just can't say its for the hunting priveledges.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks guys,

Didn't know about that.

I guess I'm willing to pay for a place to park my trailer and permission to a private land during the hunting season then LOL

Not sure what to expect as far as value wise, but I've seen some camps with a hunting access go to the $500 range. I'd be willing to pay up to that for a parking spot
if it's not in the middle of the desert LOL

If I'm way out on the price just let me know

·
Banned
348 Posts
Bowtech, does that mean you're willing to sell access/trailor lot to your property during the rifle season? If so, I will pay $300 for 4 days of access for 2 people (Thurs - Sunday). (P.S. My friend and your former co-worker Murray would be the second person).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Semi Guided Hunts...The way of the future...BT u have first stab at it lol...if u can not handle the people also I would like to chime in...300 acres in Wickham,Farm house,Blinds and lots of whitetail...we supply the blinds and a scout of the property,check in with the clients a couple times per week...It Runs Sunday eve to Sarturday afternoon...u supply your own meals... Private posted property with again farm house with power and shower...fields, woods and orchards...E-mail for details if anyone is interested...Bam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW!

I didn't expect to get this kind of replies! I was kind of hesitant of posting such a request...

You guys rocks!

Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
http://www.gnb.ca/0062/PDF-acts/f-14-1.pdf

You can have an access fee but you can't sell the hunting rights. Fine line since as you say you can post it yellow and only allow one person to hunt but you can't charge him for it. You can charge him for guide fees, trailer lot or whatever you just can't say its for the hunting priveledges.
Excellent, thanks for the reference Bowtech! That's very helpful.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Camp lot rental and semi guided hunt is $50.00/day per person, first come first serve basis. Blinds, treestands available. Must agree to follow QDM practices so if he's smaller than the one on the left he walks.

This pic shows a portion of the huntable ground available.

G

·
BT...your dreaming if your gonna ask guys to pass on bucks that size or smaller. Especially if they are paying to hunt. If they were merely guests/freinds and wanted to get a return invite, you might get guys to be more selective and respect your property/QDM standards...but paying $$ to have private ground to hunt would mean a filled tag for most folks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Camp lot rental and semi guided hunt is $50.00/day per person, first come first serve basis. Blinds, treestands available. Must agree to follow QDM practices so if he's smaller than the one on the left he walks.

This pic shows a portion of the huntable ground available.

If you know his wishes before you enter into his agreement then you should respect his decisions and reasons why.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good price BT...Ours is 125.00 per day per hunter or 500 for the week sunday eve to saturday afternoon...includes stands,300 acres of posted private ground accessed right from your front door,and all utilities + full bathroom...farm house is 2 bedroom large field and good size orchard plus some great hardwoods to hunt...tv if u wish lol...No requirment of what u want too shoot as long as it is legal....bring your own food...located in Wickham...better thatn a hotel lol...cheers all

·
Registered
565 Posts
BT...your dreaming if your gonna ask guys to pass on bucks that size or smaller. Especially if they are paying to hunt. If they were merely guests/freinds and wanted to get a return invite, you might get guys to be more selective and respect your property/QDM standards...but paying $$ to have private ground to hunt would mean a filled tag for most folks.
I don't think BT is trying to sell anything. Here's the rules, take it or leave it! If the rules don't interest you then go somewhere else and if nobody takes him up on the offer It wouldn't break his heart, but I'm confident that even with the restrictions there would be lots of interest. I'd be interested if I didn't have my own property to hunt.

G

·
Not so much that he has to sell anything...just that most deer hunting folks are NOT that selective, they've never hunted over foodplots or a private 100+ acre property managed for primarily for whitetails, and very few have sat in a treestand and watched 5-10 deer or more pour into a field at dusk.

Lets say I pay my $50, plop myself into a treestand, and I drop the hammer on a 5 pointer because thats a legal deer in NB and it will look good in my deepfreeze this winter. I don't care about big racks, or QDM, I just want a safe, deer populated place to hunt cause crown land blows, and everything else is posted. $50 bucks and I increase my odds of seeing deer tenfold, oh...and "Sorry BT, I thought it was a 10 pointer, light was fading...oops...my bad
!! Well, thanks for everything, gotta get this 5 pointer to the meat shop...is it warm out or is it just me.......gotta run...Ba Bye !"

all the way home.

I can see it now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey BT,

I fully understand your requirements and it wouldn`t be a problem for me. However we are a party of 4 and one of my hunting buddies, who also happen to be my 76 year old grandfather, probably on his last or one of his last whitetail hunts... I am not sure if he would be able to hold his shot on a 5-6 pointer lol

I`ll have a talk with them and get back to you.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
E-mails sent guys and thanks for the interest...I Just figured out how to open my mail lol...more pics will follow of the farm house...Trail cams pics are from last year I will post some more...I seldom hunt this property for deer but know it well and my buddy that owns it is the same...Last year I hunted this property 4 days and seen 12 deer to give u an idea...It is located on the crossroads of wickham between bald hill and carpenter bald hill roads...My heart is at my own camp when it comes to deer...Property can be viewed if u wish prior to your hunt...I should be huntin this property lol..Cheers all Bam

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well then I guess "most folks" can just pay their 2 bits to go hunt somewheres else then,can't they.Those are the rules,take it or leave it.Personally,I wouldn't have anybody on my property that showed such lack of respect for my wishes or management goals to begin with.

You can see it now can you?
Funny....I can't see it EVER happening for you...not there anyway.

Try pulling your "ooops" BS on any trophy managed ranch in the USA and see where it gets you,LMAO.Get out yer checkbook sweetheart and keep on writing the zeros because that's a 5 figure "oops" most places.

LOL all the way home now honey......a $10-20K trophy fee or maybe a $10K fine for shooting a non-shooter as per the contract would wipe that smirk off yer face I'll bet.

Now who's laffin?
Agreed! Problem with folks who wold shoot what they are asked not to shoot without thinking twice are the same folks who would walk through those yellow disks and make themselves at home. Many times I have had people walk by my blind not seeing me, when I pop out and ask what they think they are doing they say "I got turned around" Ya, looks like your turned around the way you slither through the bush all quite with rifle in hand ready for a deer to walk out. Its too bad, they can get away with that but if you knock them into next week with a right hook then you can be charged

1 - 20 of 21 Posts