New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our moose hunt came to a quick close when our first gun was admitted to the hospital Friday night.

When my husband's uncle applied for his licence he was healthy as a horse. He has applied every year since the moose draw started and finally got his licence this year. He is now going through chemo & radition. Although he was very weak, he was excited as the rest of us thursday morning to get out for the hunt. We knew we were going to limited to the areas that we could hunt as we knew he didn't have the strength to walk very far.

Within a few minutes of my first call, we heard our first branch break...then nothing...waited....I called again. Now we had activity coming from the left of us and the right. Were we going to get this lucky to have 2 moose come out in the clearing within 15 minutes of the break of dawn? Something spooked the 2 of them and they took off.

We waited then circled around to the swamp where we figured they may have taken off. We had one grunting at us, but the area was too thick to even catch a glimpse of him.

Not much activity for us again until after supper. Getting into place for our evening hunt, my husband almost drove over one with the 4-wheeler! lol Think it scared him more than the ol swamp donkey.

Uncle Sonny developed a fever thursay evening after the hunt and landed in the hospital.

It was looking like our moose hunt was over. We just got word that he has been released and the hunt is back on. Here is to hoping that we can get him a moose this afternoon!! If anything, I'm hoping that he doesn't over do it this afternoon. He's stubborn and wants to head back to the woods. Hopefully when I get back home tonight, I'll have pics of a moose to post!!

Good luck to all the guys/gals that are still out there today!!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hope all goes well for your Uncle and Moose hunt. Take care and may God bless you with a good 'un.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you believe, luck was totally on our side. We were heading to where we were going to set up for the afternoon hunt...there standing in the choppin' waiting for us was a 10 pt. bull! Don't get much luckier than that! lol

will post pics later. computer is being a bit contrary. Time to have a few celebration beverages!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats Country Girl.
It's awesome that it worked out for your husbands uncle and all of you.A special 3 days for sure!!
Looking forward to pics and story.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It certainly was a memorable hunt. One that was very special to all of us due to Uncle Sonny's illness.

Here he is.... went in the cooler at 510 lbs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congratulations on a very memorable hunt with success.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Fine eating there.. Congrats!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fine eating there.. Congrats!
Thanks! The tenderloins are going to be tonights supper!

Wish we would've gotten his weight when he was field dressed, but at 510 going in the cooler, he was a nice bull. Perfect heart shot. He dropped in his tracks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts