New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Dads moose yielded us 526 lbs of meat. To you experienced moose guys out there, can you give me a rough idea what the field dressed weight would be. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Last year we got about 760 pounds of meat. By the measuing of the nose and such the DNR guys told us the moose would have weighed about 800 pounds on the hoof. We laughed at them, then took them the meat slip. We figured around 1100 on dressed on ours.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
You can add 150lbs for the guts and the blood. I would say your bull's live weight was 1050 to 1100lbs, a very big bull indeed.

We deboned ours, never had a chance to weigh the meat cuts, but my dad weighted the scraps (not including the legs, hide, head and antlers....326lbs of scraps.

We figure about the same weight. This year's bull was way bigger than my '08 bull, which was 959lbs (I weighted everything that year).

We finished 2nd in a 50 hunter pool for heaviest bull. Only 2 came in heavier, a 62 incher and a 67 incher. ex aequo...just a few lbs short of winning a $1,000!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The calculation alot of meat cutters use is [ cut and wrapped weight = 55% of live weight] this is only an estimate but with 526 lbs cut and wrapped x .55 = 956 lbs "give or take" If there was any bullet damage at all [blood shot etc] this would be removed and not added in the cut and wrapped weight.That could push 956lbs up to 1000 lbs.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the quick and great responses. We figured it to be over 900 lbs dressed. The butcher we brought him to said he was a monster bull. Its so hard to find a place thats set up to weigh a moose. Hopefully I can get drawn somewhere for moose. Really considering the quebec hunt next year. Then again I'll plan that and get drawn in NB and be in the same predicament Bucknut was in. 2 moose hunts only a couple weeks apart.....booo hooo hooo....LOL just kidding bucknut. I really want to kill one with my compound bow, I think that would be an unbeleivable rush.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
386lbs of tender meat ..
(small 4 point)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts