New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a problem with staying awake on stand? On those early morning hunts just after the sun has warmed the world I sometimes find it hard to stay awake. I've had to get down on numerous occassions and take a walk to wake up. What do you do to stay awake? I don't seem to have any problem with staying awake on evening hunts just mornings.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I can stay awake if it's cold out. If it's warm, well....
As long as it's dry, I curl up under a tree and go to sleep.
On two occasions, I awoke to see deer standing around so I don't worry about it any more.
I just go to sleep on the ground.
If the ground is wet, all bets are off. Same if it's cold out. I do NOT like being wet and cold and will go to extraordianry lengths to avoid it.
I never tried those energy drinks but I'll give 'em a shot this fall.
I ate some energy bars last year and they seemed to help, but it might have all been in my head. Which is irrrelevant as long as it works.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one that has nodded off while hunting.

I love drinking coffee, but once I get in the stand, I hate making trips up & down a tree due to "nature calling". So what do I do....bring coffee!

If I've opted not to load up on caffeine and find myself getting drowsy, I normally go for a walk. Once I get moving I tend to wake right up.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I give in and take a nap. Afternoons are when I get the nods the most not in the morning. When you see me putting on the safety harness Its going to be naptime in the stand.LOL As long as you dont snore loud or have night terrors LOL then their will be little movement on stand. I try to nap when I first arrive and be ready for "prime time". Been woken up by bears knocking the logs off before.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I Usually Bring Along My Best Lil Buddy...MR.MORGAN
Hawooooooooooooooooo Ca'monnnnn w/ The Early Mornin's

·
Registered
37 Posts
also i usta chew spits when id travel from ontario but im not sure how stealthy that would be hunting lol but maybe even candy of some sort foe a quick sugar rush. im also a smoker so i bring apple skoal with me hunting to help with the cravings

·
Registered
5 Posts
XLarge Tim's coffee (Black), a bacon and egger before sun-up and a 5 hour energy as soon as the sun hits me. Sorry C_G I bring an old bottle up the stand for a 'nature call' delays descent about two more hours, I cannot be without that coffee in the morning.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
well the mornings for me are not at all hard to stay awake and alert. Now the afternoons are a bit tricky if its not cold out. What I do and it doesn't have any sugar in it or energy but I chew sunflower seeds. keeps my mouth busy and keeps me concentrating on splitting them open and spitting them out.
If all else fails sometimes I will carry a bottle of mountain dew pop (the cafenine filled one) If that doesn't cut it I stop the battle and close my eyes. I set my phone on viabrate mode and the alarm for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I drink some coffee and chew spitz, I also sometimes carry around some coffee beans in my pocket to suck on. By afternoon I find a pine to snooze under until things pick up later in the day.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Gee! You guys have it easy! If I nod off or start to snore in the stand...my wife would probably beat me senseless when I get home!!
...just kidding...but she does go "PSSSSSSST" "real loud" from her stand! She often has brought up the idea of tying a rope to my leg to yank me awake as well!

But seriously, I usually don't have a problem with mornings either. Its those after lunch warm sunny afternoons that I usually give into occasionally for a few seconds, and then come out of it in shock..staring straight down down from 18 feet wondering where the heck I am! These adrenaline rush back to realty's usually keeps me awake for another little while until those magical two hours before sundown. Then I'm wide awake!

"PS"... My wife "never" falls asleep in the stand though. She just "rests" her eyes!

·
Banned
223 Posts
I fell asleep, we are talking way beyond a nap, one and one time only.

Decided I could use a "little power nap" in the late afternoon. I didn't catch any Z's the night before, and I figured I could nod off for a half hour and then be good to go for the last two hours before dark. Next thing I knew it was pitch black and I could hear deer everywhere around my stand! Too bad I couldn't see them in the dark, I had woken up 2.5 hours after legal shooting time had ended!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts