New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i whent out today to check my camera and i was real happy when i seen 134 pictures on it, But i got home and look and pictures of all crows. And one picture of a deer. Last week i had a few bucks and a bunch of does hitting my rack stacker and now nuthen. What do you think happened, I hope i didnt push them out of the area I dont see how i could of tho I only checked it every 3 or 4 days and this last time i left it a week.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well i whent out today to check my camera and i was real happy when i seen 134 pictures on it, But i got home and look and pictures of all crows. And one picture of a deer. Last week i had a few bucks and a bunch of does hitting my rack stacker and now nuthen. What do you think happened, I hope i didnt push them out of the area I dont see how i could of tho I only checked it every 3 or 4 days and this last time i left it a week.
Probably the weather has a lot do with it but also I would not check it any more than I had to. It is very hard to stay away but the less traffic you have to your trail camera the better off you will be.What time of day are you checking I ? I try to go in the middle of the day if I am able to.

·
Registered
780 Posts
NBduck;

a few years ago guys at DNR radiocollared over 50 fawns, then tracked them around all summer and fall. July was a very peculiar month for deer behaviour, and most fo the fawns were hard to find in July. It seemed that once the fawns got to be a month old, the females would then take the fawns on a "tour" of her entire home range, and leave the field, clearcut, etc. where they had spent the past month. They even had to use an airplane to find some of them that "went missing", but found them sometimes over a mile from where they were originally collared. Then, in a couple of weeks they were right back where they had always been - but seemed to roam a bit wider afterwards. They also thought the huge number of deer flies at this time of year also drives them to a different part of their home range to avoid these pests also.

Maybe this is part of what's going on with your cameras.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i think this heat has got them holed up in swamps bro...give em time they will be back . I got to agree when its plus 24 degrees outside there not moving around there hanging close to water and trying to stay cool.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
If you're dealing with pressured deer, tending your trail cams every 3-4 days, or even on a weekly basis, can educate the deer to your presence and possibly push away mature deer from the area.

I know it's fun and the anticipation runs high when you setup in a honeyhole, but to avoid pressuring the deer too much, you should follow these basic rules;

try to swap SD cards at your camera site on a rainy afternoon;

wear knee-high rubber boots too and from your trail cam site;

wear latex gloves to handle camera / touching vegetation, etc...

SPARSELY use a scent cover product or a carbon activated scent eliminator should you come into contact with vegetation and / or trail cams.

I know this sounds pretty radical, but if you're deer herd is on high alert, it is precautious steps that are worth following.

I had a mini-herd of deer wintering in my backyard last year, for these unpressured / post rut deer, it did not matter if I checked my cam on a daily basis with foul scented clothing.

Also, as others have mentioned, you might be just experiencing what is most often called a ''lull'' period of low activity. Remember also that mineral licks are not being hit as much as summer progresses. They seem to re-hit in early fall.

Good luck with your setup.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i waited about 8 days and whent back in to check my camera. Only a few pictures of a couples doe`s. Where the hell have my bucks gone to..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts