New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day folks,

One of the most important tools we carry on ourselves for hunting is a knife. Knifes are like guns; everyone has a favourite brand,be it locked blade or fixed. I am curious as to what people carry.

I have two that I use. My deer/moose knife is a Boker fixed blade that I got for Christmas from my father, quite a few years ago. The steel is german and holds an amazing edge. This knife is on my side for every big game hunt.

For partridge, I have a fixed blade D.H. Russell Grohmann Trout and Bird Knife. Great little knife and easy to sharpen.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I carry several. Some in my vehicle, one in my pocket, and when hunting, I carry a few.

Mainly a pocket folding lock blade, I carry this all the time.
I have a fillet knife in my tackle box.
A non-serrated bear claw in my vehicle.
A machete and a hatchet in my trunk.
When hunting I carry a second pocket knife as backup, Its razor sharp.
I have several more serrated, and non-serrated in my desk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually carry a couple as well. A 4 inch folding buck knife and gerber on the belt, and a bone handle puma in the pack for skinning. Hatchet in my pack or truck. Ceramic sharpener in my pack if i am walking along way in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have a 4" gerber folding knife serrated blade[works like a charm].i also carry a smaller 2" folding blade as a backup and i always carry my gerber folding saw on the bike or in my pack.i cannot believe how many times i have used that saw for bone, firewood,limbing etc!

·
Registered
85 Posts
kindof on another thing, i recently recieved a knife that was my great grandfathers its from solingen germany the steel with a deer bone handle.... ive tried sharpening it and was able to get a good edge but thinking it would be better to get it done by a professional and refinish the steel. Does anyone know anyone close to fredericton that will refinish a knife blade and if so do they do a good job?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've got an old Schrade sharpfinger that I prefer for field dressing. For skinning deer and moose I have a large Gerber that holds a nice edge. I've got a ton of knives that I've came upon over the years. Just got back from New Glasgow and wanted to take a tour of the Grohman factory but had my wife and daughter with me. Next trip for sure.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I will never be without my Buck 110 folder. Its engraved on the handle "David From Dad 1987" I'd cry out loud if I ever lost it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Schrade folding. Love the steel.. seems quick to sharpen and holds a good edge. DH Russel fish and bird, and always got my Fiskars hatchett nearby... Nothing but good to say about all of these brands.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
2 shrade old timers and a buck folding
preference to shrade here.. (both shrades are before they started making them in china... not idea how they are now)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Got back to the New Glasgow area and now have 2 Grohman knives. I bought a small folder and one that was built for a customer but had a small flaw in the wood. Saved me a fair amount and was easy to repair. Definately my new favorite.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My favourite knife is my 28" machete. Iv'e had it since I was a lad and it always comes with me in the woods (other than when I'm hunting)
For hunting my favourite right now is my lock blade buck knife. I am looking to upgrade, something I can pass down to my son when he starts hunting (right now he is 3) but have not found the right one yet. I will know it when I see it. I am thinking of finding a knife maker online to make one custom for me rather than get a name brand

1 - 20 of 26 Posts