New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on shooting at some of the RNBRA shoots this spring summer and was wondering what you all recommend for a scope. Will be mostly 300-600 for me initially I think although I'll like to try some longer range stuff after I get a little better at it. I imagine I'll have to start handloading as well then
. I have a Leupold VX-L 4.5x14x50 but there is no focus adj knob on it so I worry that I might be getting off on the further distances. I thought maybe I should get something with a little more top end power and a side focus?
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I plan on shooting at some of the RNBRA shoots this spring summer and was wondering what you all recommend for a scope. Will be mostly 300-600 for me initially I think although I'll like to try some longer range stuff after I get a little better at it. I imagine I'll have to start handloading as well then
. I have a Leupold VX-L 4.5x14x50 but there is no focus adj knob on it so I worry that I might be getting off on the further distances. I thought maybe I should get something with a little more top end power and a side focus?
What do you think?
My link
You didn't name a price?
Cdog.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything up to around $1000.00

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Leupold.

Some guys have gone to the Night force.

General rule for long range is --If you can't see it ,you can't hit it.

After many years shooting with the scope I could afford I finally got a VX3 8.5-25 Long range target model 30mm tube with side AO. Only shot it at Batouch once. Totally incredible.

Paid $839 new in box.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bushnell Elite 4200 model 426245T, 6-24x50, Mildot reticle
Bushnell Elite 6500 model 654305B, 4.5-30x50, DOA600 reticle

If you had to pick between the two which would you take?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If youre gonna adjust your clicks on the fly in a target competition I gotta suggest the zero stop, like on the vortex I gave the link to, there is a video on youtube demonstrating how it works...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should a guy get FFP or SFP? 1/4 or 1/8 clicks or more than 1/4?

What reticle should I get some type of Mrad, fine plex, EBR, target dot, mildot?????????

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The vortex if ffp, the hash marks will always represent the same regardless of magnification, the reticle is laser etched and illuminated as well.......

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x40 Cmonnnnnnnnnnnn!!

HAWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much internal elevation does the Viper have? Will it have enough to get to 1000 with a 0 base.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pockets would have to be real deep for the March scopes. The brokerage fees alone would be more than the viper

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I will have to look at the adjustment numbers, but a 20 mao base is a good idea anyway, with it on your actually adjusting down for a 100 yard zero, this means as you crank it up to get out there, your erector assembly is 20moa closer to center, this is better optically.....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I will have to look at the adjustment numbers, but a 20 mao base is a good idea anyway, with it on your actually adjusting down for a 100 yard zero, this means as you crank it up to get out there, your erector assembly is 20moa closer to center, this is better optically.....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you want, use the bases you have and buy a set of 30mm burris posi allighn rings, they have inserts with the adjustment built in, wont tourqe the scope because they act like a heim joint, and will never scratch the scope or leave ring marks, there great!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The scope has 75 moa of adjustmen, so theres 37.5 minutes of up....
The sierra i6 tells me a 308 loaded to 2900 fps with a 168gr hpbt matchking will drop 31.6 moa at 1000 yards from a 100 yard zero, so technically you dont need the extra, but I personally think its still a good idea.....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My bad, the 308 will only drive that bullet @2700fps, so we end up with 37.9 minutes of drop, so yes, you absolutely need the base or rings......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts