New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys and gals...
I always enjoy hearing about different styles and tactics for hunting deer and today I'd like to know what time of day you prefer to hunt. Perhaps its right at first light in the morning or maybe just when the last light of day is fading. Perhaps you don't have a favorite time of day...except any time when the deer shows up? My favorite time of day is early to mid morning and then, I also like that magic hour just before dark. Of course, I'll gladly take a deer at other times of day as well...but my very favorite time to be in the deer woods is right when everything is waking up for the day...squirrels and birds stirring and an old buck that has chased does all night trudges through, still looking for that "last chance" doe before he beds down...bag him, tag him then and you got time to get him out in the daylight. So...what's your "magic time?"

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've always liked the first couple hours of the morning and that last hour before dark.I have had success at both times but the morning hunt has my vote because most times the air is cooler than it is coming onto dark.I have found that alot of times game will not start moving until dark or just after, where as in the morning they may push daylight a little more.Another plus to the morning is if your lucky enough to drop something you have alot of daylight left to track,gut,drag,etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like the morning hunt the best as I have had the best luck from 7:00- 11:00 a.m. For the evening hunt, the last hour is grand.

If the deer would be more cooperative, I would prefer to take all of my game in the morning so that the use of daylight is maximized.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I've had my best luck between 10 and 12. Probably shot 80% of my bucks between this time.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
for me i like the first 3 hours of the morning
i think i have shot all my deer between 730 - 10 30 am
maybe the odd 1 or 2 mid afternoon!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like to get into the woods just before the sun comes up and be in my area of interest as the sun begins to shed light on the trees. There's nothing like getting into your favorite deer woods around 7-730 and hearing the woods come alive and the crunch-crunch-crunch of that smasher coming your way! The morning hunt id definitely my favorite. Like the other fella said, between 730 and 1030.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
For me this is easy. I am totally hooked on the morning. I love getting up in the tree before shooting time starts and just sit quietly and watch mother nature wake up and come alive. The majority of my deer are shot between first light and 11AM. I have harvested a few in the last hour or 2 before dark but mostly in the morning.
Something magical about watching the sun rise on a cold Nov morning

39 days and counting!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had my best luck between 10am and noon aswell, but also have had good luck and seen alot of deer when scouting in the last hour before sundown. I have never had any luck in the early afternoon, so I have lunch around this time and catch a few winks under a pine tree.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Between 8 and 11am seems to be the best time for me but I like to be in the stand well before that. I see just as many in the last half hour of daylight but dont like the thought of tracking and dragging one out in the dark much so I try to hunt mostly in the mornings when you have plenty of daylight to roll the guts out and drag the deer out of the woods.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I enjoy every minute of it! lol But my favorite time is most definitely daylight - 11am.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've always had my best luck the last hour before dark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts