New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...
Deer season is fast approaching and I was thinking about the deer hunt and what was happening (weather wise) when I've been most successful hunting. In my case, I've taken my biggest bucks and had the most success on days with a steady rain, or snow or mix...what many would consider bad weather days. It may be less comfortable but I believe its quieter in the woods and your scent goes to the ground better and of course, the ambient "sounds" of falling rain or hiss of snow don't help the deer despite their phenomenal sense of hearing either.I have just never cared for windy days or for "blue bird" sunny days for hunting any species...grouse, moose or deer and especially for deer! What's your favorite hunting weather for success and why do you prefer that? Ray

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
As far as enjoyment goes I like a cool/cold day with lots of cloud cover and little wind. As long as its not pouring rain or a blizzard its ok.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I absolutely love a morning where there is no wind and the ground is white from frost. You can hear a squirrel fart from a 1/4 mile away! I have shot two of my biggest bucks on days like this. Hearing the bucks coming in to check out the calls I made is beyond thrilling!

Hunting in snow is nothing to sneeze at either!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
I mostly still hunt, so for me nothing beats a freshly fallen 3-4 inches of wet snow for tracking all day.

I personnally never shot a buck on a ''blue bird morning'', cool, crisp and quiet morning, again probably because I like to still hunt and walk about. For this type of hunting, I prefer a damp, foggy or light mist fallin day. This keeps my scent at a minimum and game are active on days like this later in the AM and earlier in the PM.

I love snowstorms, 20 to 40 cm falling, everybody's getting out of the woods, that's when I like to drive in and cut a fresh track and let the games begin!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have no preference. Any day out in the woods if great. I was out scouting all weekend and have to admit I cannot wait for the week of October 25th to come.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As far as enjoyment goes I like a cool/cold day with lots of cloud cover and little wind. As long as its not pouring rain or a blizzard its ok.
I would say that as long as it is pouring rain or a blizzard I love to be out there!

My wife jokes that I have some type of rain magnet. It is not too often I do not come home looking like a drowned rat.

That being said, I do prefer to hunt just after a snowfall or during a light rain. There certainly is an allure to the crisp sunny fall days, but like others I have not seen as many deer on these types of days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A dark , overcast , grey November day with a light rain falling is a 'Killing Day' . Don't listen to your buddy's who complain about getting wet and want to stay in camp on these days , get out there and stay in the woods all day .

At the end of the day with a change of cloths , a fire in the stove , a hot meal and maybe a buck on the pole you'll be glad that you went out .

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like eather cold with heavy frost in the morning, no wind and grey sky turning to light snow by afternoon. I also like a cool day with rain/snow mix. Just no east wind, bad luck for both hunting and fishing

·
Registered
192 Posts
I enjoy the stormy days as well. Especially as the storm is passing as that is when the deer seem to start moving. I don't know what it is about that "magical hour" after a storm is done but I have great luck seeing things start to move at that time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey grey ghost i couldn't agree more.I've seen more deer on dark drizzly overcast days than at any other time.This makes for double the enjoyment with a good days hunt followed by dry clothes cold beer and hot food,all this while telling the boys how you neck shot that nine point while they were back at the camp playing cards.

·
Registered
192 Posts
As I said in the previous post about the magical hour after it is done storming, this afternoon just as it was done raining my son and I drove out to the camp and saw 3 deer, 5 partridge and 2 bears. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Back in my still-hunting rifle days, I loved a crisp, frosty, clear, cold day. And a milder wet packy snow day as well. The type where deer tracks are almost "cookie cutter-ed" in the snow! I wasn't much of a tracker though.

Now that I am bowhunting all fall, I enjoy all types of weather on stand. Even a light rain. As long as it is not a steady down pour!

·
Registered
925 Posts
About 4 inches of snow on the ground with the temps slightly above 0. Also throw in a light wind with drizzle. A damp heavy day like this with some woods noise from snow falling off the trees equals walking right up to that big buck without him even knowing it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rain for sure. I have shot a few deer on the frosty calm mornings, but I find on the rainy cold days (not down pours, but a steady rain) game moves all day long. I have found this true for deer, moose, grouse, bears.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sitting in a stand i like a dry, cold still morning, you can hear deer coming along ways away, i hate being caught off guard when suddenly there is a deer's rear end taking off in the other direction when i decided to scratch in itch without knowing the deer had come in, but days wheere i decide to still hunt or go for a walk i like it wet and windy, a lot easier to sneak around and you can use it against the deer

·
Registered
531 Posts
I love the rainy days. By the time I get back to the camp at night, chilled & soaked to the bone I wonder why I love those kind of days. By next morning, I forget that I hate being soaked to the bone & wish for rain all over again!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Cold and frosty-just like my beer
i agree
i have had most of my luck in the cold frosty mornings just as the sun has come up to warm the grass in the field!

but i will admit...i have seen the biggest bucks in the rain!
just too far away to shot them!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts