New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Us hunters spend a lot of our time walking and exploring the woods of our neighborhoods, but have you found anything out of the ordinary? I, for example, found hundreds of white feathers and sea shells. I was confused for a while, until animal carcases started showing up. The stink was obviously for the bears! Have you found anything out there?

·
Registered
627 Posts
One of the areas I used to hunt in was very remote. It was an island between the Digdeguash River and a brook called Bogonion Brook. The brook dumped into the river a very short distance from where I crossed and another tributary emptied into the river at the other end of the island.I used to wade the brook and hunt into the wind until I came to the other tributary and crossed on an old beaver dam. Depending on the wind direction I sometimes hunted from the opposite end. This 2.5 mile stretch of land that I refer to as an island was 8 kilometers from the nearest road before GP put numerous roads into the area. I found an old cookstove in the middle of that island of land. I ckecked for remnants of a camp but found none, checked the surrounding trees for evidence a camp had burnt there but found nothing. All I found was the cast part of the cookstove and rusted framework of a very old stove. I've always wondered what the story was about that stove and how in heck they got it there. It was at least a mile to the river and close to half a mile to the brook.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have found tonnes of neat stuff though the woods, either while working or hunting, fishing too_One thing i found that always bothered me was i found a torn-up dress when i was working in the woods it would have been like a prom dress or that sort and was probably half a mile or more from any house, it was disturbing but could have been lugged there by an animal or ended up there in another way but bothered me the same.
This year while hunting out the Nashwaak river area i came across one of those weather stations hanging in a tree, it was from Missouri and i brought it home to show my family, i have found a few of these while working too.
Lots of neat stuff too, animal remains, camp site remains, bearcaves, antlers, antlers, and more antlers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the areas I used to hunt in was very remote. It was an island between the Digdeguash River and a brook called Bogonion Brook. The brook dumped into the river a very short distance from where I crossed and another tributary emptied into the river at the other end of the island.I used to wade the brook and hunt into the wind until I came to the other tributary and crossed on an old beaver dam. Depending on the wind direction I sometimes hunted from the opposite end. This 2.5 mile stretch of land that I refer to as an island was 8 kilometers from the nearest road before GP put numerous roads into the area. I found an old cookstove in the middle of that island of land. I ckecked for remnants of a camp but found none, checked the surrounding trees for evidence a camp had burnt there but found nothing. All I found was the cast part of the cookstove and rusted framework of a very old stove. I've always wondered what the story was about that stove and how in heck they got it there. It was at least a mile to the river and close to half a mile to the brook.
Very cool! I have found many stoves in the woods, but usually next to a road, never way out in the woods. It would be very neat to know how old it is and everything! Among stoves, I also commonly find cars (well whats left of them) sitting just off the sides of trails.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have found old cars, camp equipment and liquor bottles to name a few odd things but one of the neatest things I have come across is finding a jacket hood that was identical to mine! Righr out in the middle of no where and there it was!

Good thing I found a spare because I lost the other one a short time later on!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found old cars, camp equipment and liquor bottles to name a few odd things but one of the neatest things I have come across is finding a jacket hood that was identical to mine! Righr out in the middle of no where and there it was!

Good thing I found a spare because I lost the other one a short time later on!
Very cool!

·
Registered
271 Posts
My rabbit hunting spot has an old honda motorcycle still in decent condition laying there with the motor taken out. Has been there for about 5-6 years.

·
Registered
481 Posts
On a small brook I was crossing I found gears and machinery that lead me to belive it may have been a mill at one time. Probly a mile from the existing roads.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
This summer hiking in 6km from the nearest roads, I found remnants of old prospector camps, with trofts remains, sifting pans and metal ring bans from wooden barrels presumably.

On another hike accross the main river this summer about a km into nowhere on an old guide's trail, the remnants of a base camp, with a pile of approximately 60 bean cans, top cover all torn up using a knife, testament to how long they had been out there (when was the can opener invented anyway?.....t'would be neet to put a date on this).

A crashed down airplane, from which a trapline was later sprouted out from the site and the plane used as a mid-way beacon for my dad and I and to access a very remote head lake for brookies.

In Saskatchewan a couple of years ago, a tire and old car dump 2.5km down a deep coulee on the North Saskatchewan River, that must have had at least a couple of hundreds of tires laying about, and form which beavers had dammed off one of the longest beaver dams I have ever seen.....300 meters wide accross the coulee tributary on the North Sask River.

Numerous old camp site, fireplaces, pots and pans, stoves and fossiles.

I would love to find arrow heads eventually, oh, and a B&C trophy whitetail LOL!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This summer hiking in 6km from the nearest roads, I found remnants of old prospector camps, with trofts remains, sifting pans and metal ring bans from wooden barrels presumably.

On another hike accross the main river this summer about a km into nowhere on an old guide's trail, the remnants of a base camp, with a pile of approximately 60 bean cans, top cover all torn up using a knife, testament to how long they had been out there (when was the can opener invented anyway?.....t'would be neet to put a date on this).

A crashed down airplane, from which a trapline was later sprouted out from the site and the plane used as a mid-way beacon for my dad and I and to access a very remote head lake for brookies.

In Saskatchewan a couple of years ago, a tire and old car dump 2.5km down a deep coulee on the North Saskatchewan River, that must have had at least a couple of hundreds of tires laying about, and form which beavers had dammed off one of the longest beaver dams I have ever seen.....300 meters wide accross the coulee tributary on the North Sask River.

Numerous old camp site, fireplaces, pots and pans, stoves and fossiles.

I would love to find arrow heads eventually, oh, and a B&C trophy whitetail LOL!
Wow!! I can't imagine ever finding so much stuff! Where at did you find the prospector camp and plane? Sounds like something you'd find in the Yukon! And hopefully you'll find that b&c deer, and maybe I'll find one too!

·
Registered
531 Posts
One of my favorite places to hunt is in an area that used to be an old settlement years & years ago. Gone are the homes that used to be there. But you'll still find some of the old rock fireplaces, rock foundations, steps going down to wells, etc. Many moons ago, there used to be a mill there as well. The old stoves are still along the river.

Hard to believe that people used to live back there. Makes for interesting hunting though when the bucks aren't coming out to play! haha

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Wow!! I can't imagine ever finding so much stuff! Where at did you find the prospector camp and plane? Sounds like something you'd find in the Yukon! And hopefully you'll find that b&c deer, and maybe I'll find one too!
The prospector camps were found on a remote tributary of a main river stem (sorry, that's all you'll get lol!) where my river guide friend and I knew and had read about an old river crossing and gold panning activity in an old company camp journal, so we just had to go in and check it out.

The crashed plane must date back to the late 70's and after a while the half-mile hike to the plane got stretched using a compass and a blazing axe to hike in a mile further in to a couple of very productive brookie head lakes (oligotroph stage lakes are crystal clear mountain head lakes packed down with sediments and mostly produce few, but huge brookies....that's another topic altogether lol!)

Sadly now, using a damn 4 wheeler, any lazy fart can drive right to the landing...

I used to enjoy threading the trail and re-blazing just as much as fishing / trapping from it....those were the days....

One year in particular, my dad had gone in on the trapline (marten) with the old Elan, and looking over a double set (on each side of the trail), he realized that deer were crossing over his footsteps. It was the last week of deer season, and I still remember my dad pulling into camp with the old 12hp Elan, a couple of martens (which were worth $125 ea back then), and a big 'ol 10 point buck dragging behind the skidoo,,,,,sure wish I had a picture of this joyfull arrival....this was THE best backstrap I have ever had in camp, and the last buck my dad ever shot on a hunt with me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The prospector camps were found on a remote tributary of a main river stem (sorry, that's all you'll get lol!) where my river guide friend and I knew and had read about an old river crossing and gold panning activity in an old company camp journal, so we just had to go in and check it out.

The crashed plane must date back to the late 70's and after a while the half-mile hike to the plane got stretched using a compass and a blazing axe to hike in a mile further in to a couple of very productive brookie head lakes (oligotroph stage lakes are crystal clear mountain head lakes packed down with sediments and mostly produce few, but huge brookies....that's another topic altogether lol!)

Sadly now, using a damn 4 wheeler, any lazy fart can drive right to the landing...

I used to enjoy threading the trail and re-blazing just as much as fishing / trapping from it....those were the days....

One year in particular, my dad had gone in on the trapline (marten) with the old Elan, and looking over a double set (on each side of the trail), he realized that deer were crossing over his footsteps. It was the last week of deer season, and I still remember my dad pulling into camp with the old 12hp Elan, a couple of martens (which were worth $125 ea back then), and a big 'ol 10 point buck dragging behind the skidoo,,,,,sure wish I had a picture of this joyfull arrival....this was THE best backstrap I have ever had in camp, and the last buck my dad ever shot on a hunt with me.
Neat story! I wasn't wondering exactly where you found the plane and prospector camp, I meant what province. Was it all in NB?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts