New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went hunting coyotes on Sat, I went to all spots that I knew and couldn't even find a rabbit track. Heck I didn't here a bird!! I was hunting in between Shedaic and Sackville. No coyote tracks anywhere!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I tried a new area yesterday.
I came to a spot with lots of tracks so figured that was as good a place as any for a stand. The snow was so deep it was unreal. With no snowshoes (WTF was I thinking?) I couldn't get very far, but set up in what I thought was a decent spot. The wind was right. Lots of cover for me, but an open area where I figured the coyotes might come from.
No dice.
After 30 minutes, I packed 'er in and returned to the truck. Set up the bbq on the tailgate and cooked up some wings. A buddy just happened to drive by and he stopped for a chat.
After eating, I packed up the bbq and the garbage and drove down the road deeper into the woods.
Not 400 yards down the road, out pops Wile E. right in the middle of the road. He trotted ahead of me for another 80 yards, then veered off into the bush on the other side of the road before I could get stopped, grab the .223 and the clip and get out of the truck.
Did a stand there anyway, but to no avail.
Geez....

·
Registered
909 Posts
I tried a new area yesterday.
I came to a spot with lots of tracks so figured that was as good a place as any for a stand. The snow was so deep it was unreal. With no snowshoes (WTF was I thinking?) I couldn't get very far, but set up in what I thought was a decent spot. The wind was right. Lots of cover for me, but an open area where I figured the coyotes might come from.
No dice.
After 30 minutes, I packed 'er in and returned to the truck. Set up the bbq on the tailgate and cooked up some wings. A buddy just happened to drive by and he stopped for a chat.
After eating, I packed up the bbq and the garbage and drove down the road deeper into the woods.
Not 400 yards down the road, out pops Wile E. right in the middle of the road. He trotted ahead of me for another 80 yards, then veered off into the bush on the other side of the road before I could get stopped, grab the .223 and the clip and get out of the truck.
Did a stand there anyway, but to no avail.
Geez....
There is a huge amount of them in scotch lake and scotch town and mactaquac area as well as in tracy and cork ooodles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They are where the food is. Eating Deer,baits where ever food is. The one I shot Friday was stuffed with my bait. There was 5 at my bait for a couple hours taking turns while I was plowing the snow we got Thursday. I would not shoot till there was only 1. Shot another Saturday morning, same thing , they were so stuffed they looked pregnant. I got the family groups so fragmented here now that I never hear them . Was talking to Local trapper last evening. He said he was going to pull a bunch of snares cause they stopped moving in back of me. We figure they were hanging around my bait and were not traveling as much. Once they get onto a food source they keep at it till gone. We have been trying to cut some wood in back and every storm there has been less sign on my woods roads.After Thursday storm no sign since. They are staying close.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts