New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to hunting/guns, so when I saw the prices locally (near Moncton) I was impressed by what I saw. I had looked online initially, but honestly I was VERY confused and didn't know what I was looking for so I didn't give much thought to online shopping for rifles. Now that I've had my permits for a year, and been using/learning about guns for a year, I started checking again online, and I was STUNNED at the prices compared to local. The mark-up on some of the local guys are hard to believe.

Here's an example. I wanted to replace the small 4x scope on my .22, so I priced the 1" rings in Moncton, they were $15. I decided a few days later I wanted them for sure so I checked another local place near my place, and it was $20. Fine by me, it'll cost me 10 bucks in fuel to drive to Moncton anyways, so I bought them. On Lebaron the SAME Tasco mounts are $6.97!!!

Lebaron's scope prices are BETTER than Walmart (what little selection I saw).

So where do you buy your rifles and accessories? I only know a few places and now I will only go there if I really need it without waiting for shipping.

I'd rather support the local guys, but a 100% mark-up or more over a competitors price? Come-on now!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cabelas seems to have very very good prices on rifles.

I really don't like the way Lebaron has their catalogue broken up in many different files either.

Those are the only 2 I use for pricing, I haven't actually ordered anything yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mail order for me. Cabelas, LeBarons and Wholesale Sports have all treated me good.

I try to support local shops but the pricing is either outrageous and/or the selection is poor.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd rather support the local guys, but a 100% mark-up or more over a competitors price? Come-on now!!
I know how you feel, but I see both sides of this coin. If a company orders 40,000 items, they are going to get them at a better price than the company that orders 5 at a time. So the first company can sell them at a lower price than the second company, and often at the same price that the second company is buying them at.

If it were $6 at the store a province away, and $20 in my city... I would buy it in my city. If it were $6 in the other province, and $100 locally, I would consider mail ordering it, or other options, if that were the only thing I was buying. I prefer to deal with the local guy, because they may not be able to wiggle on price of all items, but some they can. If your a loyal customer they are more inclined to cut you a break.

In the business I work for, I wont even keep stock outside of the things that I can move on a regular basis. I have people call me up and ask for a price on a computer system, I spend an hour or two looking up parts, compatibility, and doing a lot of legwork for nothing, because when I give them a parts list, they take it off to the web-stores and then tell me that they can get the system from Vancouver for $100 less. I feel like telling them.. do your own research, and come to me with a list, and the prices you found, I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was just using the scope mounts as an example. I am not mad about spending $13 extra to support the local guy, but if I save $90 on a scope, and $20 on rings, and buy a sling and studs while I'm at it..... you see where I'm going? I loaned a bore-sighter from a buddy, but I saw Bushnell sighters starting at $39.99 on Lebaron. Locally I would be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I buy all of my stuff at cabelas or whole sale sports. I'd rather support local but they are so damn expensive and they don't have a lot of variety to choose from. The only downfall from buying off the internet is you can't actually handle and inspect the product. Some time the local stores have good deals.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Join the web site canadain gunnuts. They have many site sponsers that have great prices and also a used section called the exchange and equipment. Although I would like to buy locally Im not a fool with my money. If local will match what I can get online I would be happy to buy from them first.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Guns and acc. are bought locally,my archery gear comes from Bass Pro.I find Cabelas has wayyy to many restrictions on products.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is a catch 22 situation. If you don't support local business, one day you may find you have no local business to fall back on. Just look at how few gun shops are around now, oif course the crazy ass gun laws didn't help either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do you realize that some local shops will mount and bore site a scope for free if you buy it from them? Thats a $30+ value right there. But the local guys can't always compete on prices with the big box on-line retailers that buy directly from the manufacturer because they have to buy from a distributor or "middle man". Oh! and don't forget to add shipping.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if the local shops want to be able to give better prices they could start some sort of group and buy products as a group, many parts stores to that so they can sell parts at a cheaper price.
allot of farmers do that

·
Registered
181 Posts
You have to pay the taxes when it enters the country. Getting it out of the US is the hard part. You need to have an american FFL dealer do up the export papers for it to leave the US and of course the firearm has to be legal in Canada to begin with. The FFL dealer will charge a fee for doing the export, I've never seen it less than $100 per gun. By the time you pay for the gun, the export fee, and the taxes it's rarely worth it. It would have to be a huge savings on the retail price or a gun you couldn't find in Canada for the math to make sense.

These guys specialize in Canadian transfers: http://www.irunguns.us/

I just took a quick look and compared a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308
Cabelas Canada $639.99
Irunguns $641.47

The grass is not always greener.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like to buy local and support our local economy. Last year I bought an 11-87 super mag at Doirons, I paid cash and got a deal. This year during the duck season the bolt broke in two pieces. I called Doirons and they took the gun back and returned it to Remington for warranty. They took care of everything and kept me up to date with what was going on. Great service in my book. Turns out Remington is no longer making this model so they sent a new 2013 Versamax to replace it Great warranty in my book. So for a few bucks more I will buy and support local whenever I can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe we have to buy local .In many cases yes the little item may be a bit higher but so is the shipping .Most firearm prices are close.The other thing to remember is service ,I had a hunt overseas and my ejector broke on my rifle a week prior to leaving ,The Gun Dealer had me going in two days .That saved my hunt .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I started this topic way back in 2010 when I was first looking at guns, someone must have been looking really far back to bring it back to the surface. At that time prices were way cheaper online. Since then, it's clear the local shops have made an effort to lower prices and compete with the big boys. Personally I have always bought all my firearm and related items from locals and it has worked great for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New guy here! I have used local to buy. But I also consider the gun dealer in in N.B. Lots of stock usually..We were up there on Sat. & like everywhere else there is a shortage of ammo & some guns especially handguns. I think that's why you find guns at high prices in the classified adds....Anyway this is a great site.. Don from N.B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts