New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bowtech, great articles in Whitetail News. Do you know where i can buy Ladino Clover seed and Sugar beet seeds. I tried Surgain and COOP, but no one carries this seed.

thanks

TH

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most every seed supplier carries Ladino clover, co-op should carry it, they do in Sussex, Bishop Seed, Halifax Seed, etc.

Turkeyhunter...I checked on the Sugar beets. I had a contact for Betaseed who is the largest supplier in NA and they have been doing some trial work in NS so I then contacted Agrapoint and got the seed reps name and number but forgot it at work. It doesn't look like either the NS or NB depts of Agriculture are gonna bite on the sugar beet idea since the economics don't make sense but I'll see if I can get some seed for you. Sugar beets need lot of nutrition and a clean seed bed but they have RR sugar beet seed which should make it easier to get them going well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
thanks appreciate your help, im going to call Bishops seed today and order 50 lb bag Ladino. Im looking at expanding an additional 3 acres (15 acres total) of plots this spring, i have both whitetail institute and biologic planted but im looking at trying a few other different plots. Ive been doing alot of reading on Sugar Beets and im thinking a couple of acres to see how it works this summer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try Ron Coles for Sugar Beets. He is the local Project Manager for Betaseed in NS.
902-393-3825 or possibly 902-393-3875. Pretty bad when I can't decipher my own writing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bowtech thanks for the information, i got my sugar beet seeds from BuckLunch seeds in the USA and bishop Seeds is sending me a 55 pound bag of Ladino. Apprecaite the information. TH

·
Registered
375 Posts
I planted Whitetail Institute Powerplant for the first time, put in close to 2 acres. Im surprised to see how the deer will walk through the brassica/clover/oats to get to the PowerPlant food plots. In a couple of plots the deer have pretty well eating everything to the point of damaging the plots. Some of the powerplant plants are 5 feet tall which the deer are using all day long. This seed blend has been the most attacting summer plots that i have ever seen, will be planting 4 acres of it next year. TH

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That's because brassica, clover, or oats are all primarily fall attraction foods whereas powerplant has some sorghum and sunflower for structure but is full of beans and peas, which are a huge summer attraction, come first frost they will be dead and then see which plot they walk through.

While it's encouraging to see deer hammering summer plots don't get too caught up on summer nutrition and overprovide foods then, in addition to your fall plots you'd be better off to think about some foods that will come up early spring or from residual crops and maybe winter food sources if you're interested in healthy deer.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks Bowtech, right now im thinking the PowerPlant will not see a frost as the deer are hammering it, but im planning to rototill it in and reseed in September with a perenntial. I have been use to watching deer feed on clover all summer long and i was thinking clover was king as a summer plot until i tried beans/peas. Its great to seed the Powerplant plots attract deer throughout the summer. As for the fall and winter my other 13 acres of (8 acres annual plots and 5 acres perenntials plots should be enough to carry the wildlife through the winter. Most deer will hit the sugar beets/turnip tops in October and November, and the bulbs in February to March and by April the clover is starting to appear again. I did notice last spring that the brassica/kale was regrowing tops from some left over roots and that the deer would eat the new growth as soon as it appeared. TH

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks Bowtech, right now im thinking the PowerPlant will not see a frost as the deer are hammering it, but im planning to rototill it in and reseed in September with a perenntial. I have been use to watching deer feed on clover all summer long and i was thinking clover was king as a summer plot until i tried beans/peas. Its great to seed the Powerplant plots attract deer throughout the summer. As for the fall and winter my other 13 acres of (8 acres annual plots and 5 acres perenntials plots should be enough to carry the wildlife through the winter. Most deer will hit the sugar beets/turnip tops in October and November, and the bulbs in February to March and by April the clover is starting to appear again. I did notice last spring that the brassica/kale was regrowing tops from some left over roots and that the deer would eat the new growth as soon as it appeared. TH
you guys got some pictures for us to see????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts