New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the topic says, today i feel a little sick to my stomach after the season ends i always do.Its such a huge part of my life and as much as i know it will be no time before were back in the woods its still is a real downer for me when the time is done for another year.This happens when i get a deer or when i dont, might be a Little worse if i dont get one.Just wondering who else feels this way..RR

·
Registered
175 Posts
I here ya pal, its hard to go from the high to the low that fast, even if i don't get out alot its still very exciting for me, what a time of the year it is. I am planning on a couple areas for next bow season, anyway hope you had a good season bud and stop by sometime your always welcome.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I feel the exact same way. Doesn't matter if I get a deer or not. I go through withdrawals every season and have since I was 14 years old. I got up this morning wondering what am I going to do today??? I've been going no stop since September and now I'm somewhat lost. I guess the trailcams keep me somewhat satisfied for the next few months. But then I get to thinking yeah it's nice to have snow but the forecast this week coming is calling for lots of snow depending on where in the province. Then I start wondering how the deer are going to make out with all this snow so early. Then I think about the deer yards being cut out. No wonder we go into some sort of depression.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There has been times that I have taged out early and wished that I hadn't even though I was satisfied with the deer that I got. It's kinda like the day after Xmas when I was a kid.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Same here - when the sun goes down the last day, whether I've got a deer or not, I think "its over for another year", and I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach thats hard to describe. But, the best way to cure it is to put out the cams, start scouting for next year, and maybe do some coyote hunting. We can keep on hunting for something!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yup!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
woke up at 5:45AM this morning and said oh ya.....go back to sleep. Its always disappointing when it ends each year but I move on to other things. rabbits / coyotes / preparing for next deer season and the upcoming trout and salmon fishing seasons.

only 48 more weeks to deer season...45 if you bow hunt

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well nephew, I understand completely. For you know I have been deer hunting for many a season. Back in the 80's and early 90's I was pretty serious about it too. And I took it very personal and was really disappointed if I didn't get a chance at a big buck. I was fortunate to have some very successful seasons. I also had a few skunked years too. All of my time spent in the big woods was great fun, and I did my share of tramping it in the off season as well. I love everything about deer hunting. And even though being out in the woods this time of year, is still fun. It is just not the same without the deer hunting drive behind it.

Lets face it, what else would get us out of bed at 5:00am, to endure cold ,wind and rain! And then drive 15 or more miles to our hunting area in the dark. A camera?…not likely. It made me walk a mile every day for many years, on old roads. "Before" I even entered the woods. Deer hunting is an additive drug unlike any other.

As I went on into the late 1990's, I started bow hunting. and my success average went downhill considerably. I had one stretch of at least 5 maybe 6 years without a buck. But I sure was having "fun"!
I was bow hunting closer to home, except for the occasional rifle hunting detour back to my old area.

I still found that I was disappointed if I didn't get a buck each year. But I gradually became more able to handle it. With my rifle hunting, I think I took it as more of a personal failure on my part if I didn't tag out. But with bow hunting it has evolved more into just a disappointment, that I didn't get a chance to get more "on live game" practice with my equipment. To me this is what I prepare for all season. I know I can shoot a deer with my rifle no problem. But with a bow I have to keep reassuring myself of my skill, to keep me focused on it.

The one thing that keeps me going between seasons (win or lose) is my love for archery in general. I am always interested in what's new. And tinkering with them. Buying new gear. And of course shooting as much as I can though the off season. I am really looking forward to getting my new Maitland target bow all set up. It will be my archery project for this winter. I already have a sight for it. But I cannot install it just yet. It is my gift from work, for my 25 year service award. I also have to get a scope for it, since it isn't included. And a few other goodies as well.

So keep your chin up nephew! And don't beat yourself up, over what you could have done differently etc. Many people had a difficult time this year seeing deer. You gave it a good shot, especially with the bad weather we had all season. And the late snow was a bummer as well. But time fly's by fast, and before you know it, we will be heading around once again.

I am just hoping I can win some lottery $$$ before then…so I can plan a trip out west!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got a hunting hangover today, complete with the headache and all. I kinda feel lost, putting the rifle away for another year. The only familiarity is the tag still in my wallet.

Oh well, one last Hoo-Rah for pheasants should give me my fill. Until next year, I guess.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I get that empty feeling in my stomach every year at the end of the season to, even if I got a buck.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ive been going to my camp every year since i was 12. At the end of the season. I feel somewhat sad every year. I see most ofmy camp buddys throughout the year but it still a weird feeling leaving behin the ole camp.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it was also depressing putting away the guns for me.I do enjoy putting the cameras out after season and seeing those massive necks and worn and torn bruisers that live another year and hope to get some pics to share soon.Taxidermy also has me talking with hunting buds and meeting new hunters as well, plus i have a constant flow of game going in and out the doors to handle.Its always an enjoyment to hold a big rack although the numbers are definately down i still got some large racks come in this year..

·
Registered
317 Posts
It eases the pain a little to dig the 22-250 outa the cabinet and go after some varmints I find. Also still a bit of time for grouse to ween yourselves off hunting for the next year. lol

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i agree Riverboy, its not the fact at all that i didn't get a deer just the fact i cant go deer hunting.Its the hunting part i enjoy over anything else, i can live wtih not getting a deer, i have to, LOL

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Know the feeling quite well,it's not a passion, it's an obsession.

Although I couldn't hunt this year for the very first time in many seasons, I kept into it by talking to buddies and watching NBH forum.

My season will start next Thursday on the 25th in Sask, after that I'll hit the low for sure.

I try to compensate by doing some trapping, ice fishing, rabbit snaring, post-season scouting, and moose salt lick preparation in the early Spring, with a few outings mixed in there for predator calling and plinking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, woke up this AM at 5 and looked outside, just like the last ten days.
we are already making a list of potential scouting areas for the next couple of weekends,
May get my trapping licence and try for a few coyotes this winter, haven't done that in a while.
Mrs BNB and my daughter reminded me the other day of the t shirt "We interrupt this marriage for Hunting season", I may have to add for trapping, scouting, and more scouting!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Deer hunting can be like an emotionally needy woman and drain the life out of man. ha!

I'm glad season is over. Now I have the woods pretty much to myself and no longer have to dress like a pumpkin.

With a little snow now is the best time to be in the woods. Now I get some coyote snares out, and just tramp around seeing all the signs of wildlife in the snow.

Full moon tonight. Great evening to be outside with the new snow and crisp air, listening to the owls hoot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts