New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few guys pass on younger deer with either hopes of tagging a bigger buck or because like me practice QDM and let younger bucks reach a certain age before harvest. I would like to know how many of you do this. Who had actual shooting opportunities on bucks but let them walk. How old was it and how many points, did you end up shooting one, either bigger or did you settle and take another young buck at a later date.

·
Registered
581 Posts
passed on 5 spiker bucks, little 5 pointer guys, ended up taking a large six only because I had no clue he did not have brow tines. Ah well meat in the freezer and heading for Alberta saturday for a whitetail hunt!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Passed up smaller 6 point first day did not see a thing after that, but it turned out some people were hunting at night where I hunt. Might have effected why I didn't see anything after.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Limited time to hunt this year in NB (only one day; Nov 11th). Didn't see nothing, a deer coming on my calling / rattling sequence was shot down the ridge from my position.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I let spikes walk and some 2.5yr old bucks.

If my son was with me on the other hand, and I could down a smaller buck with him to show him the tracking, field dressing process, than maybe I would, but when I'm out there one on one, I let the smaller deer walk. I let a forkhorn walk last year, and I asked my son who was with me at the time and he approved my decision.

I'm after the big woods big bucks, and I don't mind eating tag soup for 10 years in a row....that's just me.

I respect other people's views on this, sometimes I'd only wish others would respect mine. I still get a kick out of people believing that to be a good ''hunter'', one has to kill a deer on a regular basis....pile of deer Sh$??&$, if you ask me

Quality over quantity, that's my deer hunting moto I guess.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Passed on a 6 pointer and a 4 pointer. Have a young son having his first deer hunt and wanted him to have a crack at these......but no luck yet - for either of us! Hunters are beating our area to pieces!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've just recently "passed" on shooting at two running rack bucks, deer that I could have emptied the gun on. I never want to make a poor shot on a whitetail, I'd feel awful. It's better to let them go than to risk it. If I have any second guesses I don't even cheek the rifle sometimes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I guide so I dont like to shoot big bucks in NB. Not right for me to do that. Been guiding fulltime the last 3 years and have killed spikes all 3 years by choice. I would much rather my clients shoot the 8 pt or better bucks. The many years before guiding I killed primarily 7 and 8 pt 2.5 year old bucks. With a few bog monsters in the mix. For me it just doesnt look good if a paying hunter shoots a small buck and I shoot a big one. Same for me with bear.

Funny story about "passing" on a buck. Buddy of mine passed on spikes, small 8's and 6 pointers this year. Last week a spike and basket 8 came in and he decided to shoot the 8 pt. He shot (with his bow) and hit it high and back. Never found the buck. Moral to the story: Just saying your passing on a buck doesnt mean you definitely could have killed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have always pasted up smaller bucks every year knowing there was a bigger one just a few yards away.I had pasted on a smaller 6 point and a smaller 7 point this year.Both were 2.5 year old deer and will be nice deer in 2 more years.The only thing I hate about it, is that I can not control all the hunters in the area I hunt but between my neighbor and I we try to do are best.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have always pasted up smaller bucks every year knowing there was a bigger one just a few yards away.I had pasted on a smaller 6 point and a smaller 7 point this year.Both were 2.5 year old deer and will be nice deer in 2 more years.The only thing I hate about it, is that I can not control all the hunters in the area I hunt but between my neighbor and I we try to do are best.
Always let the young ones walk, perhaps someone could post a poll if there should be a minimum point rule in n.b. , I cant from my cell phone.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would pass up a small buck but the guys around me are not on the same page. I haven't seen anything this year for the first time in 15 years. Last year my hunting partner let a small 6pt walk just to have him killed buy another hunter.
I would love to see a point rule in place.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I guide so I dont like to shoot big bucks in NB. Not right for me to do that. Been guiding fulltime the last 3 years and have killed spikes all 3 years by choice. I would much rather my clients shoot the 8 pt or better bucks. The many years before guiding I killed primarily 7 and 8 pt 2.5 year old bucks. With a few bog monsters in the mix. For me it just doesnt look good if a paying hunter shoots a small buck and I shoot a big one. Same for me with bear.
Bowtech bites toungue

Funny story about "passing" on a buck. Buddy of mine passed on spikes, small 8's and 6 pointers this year. Last week a spike and basket 8 came in and he decided to shoot the 8 pt. He shot (with his bow) and hit it high and back. Never found the buck. Moral to the story: Just saying your passing on a buck doesnt mean you definitely could have killed it.
True, you are passing on the opportunity to try and harvest that particular animal. The "I could of had one" if I wanted is pipe dreams as so much can go wrong that nothing is guarenteed. You only coulda if you did

·
Registered
726 Posts
Why you biting your tongue Bowtech?

Heck I'd shoot a doe with my bow each year if I was allowed and leave small bucks alone.

I would definitely support a antler restriction program. Make it a law and I'll follow it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I guess you could say I passed on shooting a monster this year, although not on purpose
... wait, that should be

I generally don't pass if its Antlers are taller than its ears, but since I generally don't see Antlers in any given year, what's the difference? I prescribe to the Doe Tag as being a successful system, and pass on does regularly. Tag soup is delicious.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh come now
...why am I biting my tongue? Why am I biting my tongue? Cough...That quote just begs for a smart [email protected]@ razing comment and while I have several I don't know you well enough raze you too much. Now if we were good friends I'd be all over it cause as the saying goes "you set yourself up for that one".

Picture this... think of being in a room full of hunting buddies at the camp sitting back on the couch having a beverage with the wood stove humping and then saying that to an attentive group of hunting companions. There would be spewed beer all over the place. The statement being true would not change the outcome.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well this season the bucks seem to be passing on me....
but even so I don't think the question entirely academic.

I will be out again this weekend and I have no intention of harvesting a juvenile deer. Anything I potentially shoot Saturday I would have shot on the first day of the season.

Thing is that, and about $1.60(?) will get you a large double-double at Tim's.

Really it isn't for me to decide what a worthy trophy is, for anyone either than myself. My largest deer ever was quite the anticlimactic story, regardless of how it looks on the wall.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Oh come now
...why am I biting my tongue? Why am I biting my tongue? Cough...That quote just begs for a smart [email protected]@ razing comment and while I have several I don't know you well enough raze you too much. Now if we were good friends I'd be all over it cause as the saying goes "you set yourself up for that one".

Picture this... think of being in a room full of hunting buddies at the camp sitting back on the couch having a beverage with the wood stove humping and then saying that to an attentive group of hunting companions. There would be spewed beer all over the place. The statement being true would not change the outcome.
It is a pretty good excuse isnt it...LOL

·
Banned
223 Posts
Oh come now

Well, I think that is the best visualization I have had in a while.
Either I hang out with a bunch of guys that raze each other pretty good, or beer happens to flow easily out of our noses, but I pictured that scenario happening at a few camps I am part of to a tee. Some good fun!

·
Registered
726 Posts
LMAO ............ A sport would never choose a guide that actually harvests exceptional trophies ...... that would just be silly !
My hunters do pretty freakin good on bucks/bears. 17 bear/3 bucks this year. Last thing I want to hear or be known for by sports is "you saved the big one for yourself". It's true. I know some might not beleive me, but I wouldnt hire a guide who shoots big bucks/bears himself, I want a guide who's clients shoot big bucks/bears. Might seem funny to some but it is a business decision. I do practice QDMA to an extent for my business. The places we hunted this year (all private land) had quite a few decent bucks. Hunters killed 2 - 8 pts and seen a ton of doe/fawns. My hunters havent killed anything under an 8 pt in 3 years.

Who am I kidding I couldnt kill a mature buck if I had too..LOL Sorry to be off topic bowtech. I pass.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts