New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried with verying success a few different methods but have found the English method of wingshooting to work better for me than the American method of aiming. I use to aim for years and had no proper training in wingshooting, but a few years ago I bought the Orvis Wingshooting Manuel and forced myself to point rather than aim and have made an improvement in my shooting since. I know a couple of accomplished trap shooters that swear by aiming and a couple of experienced upland hunters that swear by pointing and the waterfowl hunters I have talked to seem to be 50/50 and I was just wondering what your guys opinions are on this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's generally accepted that when hunting Grouse you should snap-shoot, when hunting Waterfowl you should use sustained lead or pull-through methods. Unlike waterfowl hunting, Grouse generally won't give you time to use the other methods.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Maritime storm. Your upland hunt will be pretty unpreductive if you keep taking the time to place a bead on each woodcock and grouse that jumps in front of you. NB upland birds barely offer enough time for a shot (sometimes there's no shot), and pointing is the best option here.
However, I find that waterfowl gives you plenty of time to lign-them-up (aim) and set a good lead on the fast flying bird.
I don't know of anyone who hunts from the hip...maybe some exhibition shooters who are trying to show off. It doesn't sound safe or accurate.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I should have worded my post a bit different but I was looking to hear the methods you use for waterfowl and I would consider pull through and sustained lead to be aiming, where as some people will only focus their eyes on the bird and not look at the bead at all and release the shot as soon as the shoulder is brought forward to touch the stalk and compensating for the speed of the bird and lead all at once without thinking about it by having to turn with the bird as you are watching it and shouldering the shotgun. I think most people would agree pointing for grouse hunting, but I think many people will have some different methods for waterfowl.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I should have worded my post a bit different but I was looking to hear the methods you use for waterfowl and I would consider pull through and sustained lead to be aiming, where as some people will only focus their eyes on the bird and not look at the bead at all and release the shot as soon as the shoulder is brought forward to touch the stalk and compensating for the speed of the bird and lead all at once without thinking about it by having to turn with the bird as you are watching it and shouldering the shotgun. I think most people would agree pointing for grouse hunting, but I think many people will have some different methods for waterfowl.
I just put the gun up and fire, i never actually take an aim so to speak and watch the bead go ahead of the duck and pull when i think i have enough lead, i do it more like pointing a finger and a moving car, i keep more of an eye on the bird, with both eyes open, and move the gun and my body with the bird rather than look down the barrel at the actual bead of the gun, the only exception would be birds that are either going straight away or coming straight on, then ill "lead" by aiming where i think he will be by the time the shot gets to him, and not move at all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts