New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I looked out my bathroom window this morning, and saw a deer leg in the yard. Naturally, I had to go out and investigate. Ricky had brought me home a full deer leg, complete up to the shoulder blade. From the look of the hoof, it was an older deer - the point was well worn down. So, I went out in the field, looking for the rest of the deer. The first thing I came across was a shed, and I knew then that this wasn't going to end well. Sure enough, the next thing I found was the paunch, and then the rest of the carcass. It was indeed a big buck, and I feel sick. I can't find the other side, but it looks to me (from the pedicles) that the left side of the rack was an older drop, where the right side popped off right before he was taken down by the yotes. By the looks of the jaw, this was an older buck, and the mass on the rack is pretty great. I just can't believe that this buck was taken down by the yotes - we don't have any snow to speak of to slow him down. I figure that he must have had a rough time in the rut and was just worn out. A shame, that's for sure. A true shame.

Here are some pics:

PS: I measured the side, and it's right around 65-70". A real trophy in this area. Guess I should salvage the rest of the carcass and go hunting yotes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well, I looked out my bathroom window this morning, and saw a deer leg in the yard. Naturally, I had to go out and investigate. Ricky had brought me home a full deer leg, complete up to the shoulder blade. From the look of the hoof, it was an older deer - the point was well worn down. So, I went out in the field, looking for the rest of the deer. The first thing I came across was a shed, and I knew then that this wasn't going to end well. Sure enough, the next thing I found was the paunch, and then the rest of the carcass. It was indeed a big buck, and I feel sick. I can't find the other side, but it looks to me (from the pedicles) that the left side of the rack was an older drop, where the right side popped off right before he was taken down by the yotes. By the looks of the jaw, this was an older buck, and the mass on the rack is pretty great. I just can't believe that this buck was taken down by the yotes - we don't have any snow to speak of to slow him down. I figure that he must have had a rough time in the rut and was just worn out. A shame, that's for sure. A true shame.

Here are some pics:

PS: I measured the side, and it's right around 65-70". A real trophy in this area. Guess I should salvage the rest of the carcass and go hunting yotes.
That's motivation to try to kill some dogs if I have ever seen it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow thats incredible! Well you are sure lucky to have found the shed. When I first started reading I thought that maybe you had found a bear bait deer (like I came across this year) but noone would have that that close to your home. By the way, you have a very nice chunk of land, the deer numbers must be great there! Hopefully you'll get those dang coyotes, I have motivation of my own to shoot those things. They killed a friends dog.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
teeth dont look to be to bad really, i dont thinks is overly old, maybe 3-4, he must of had something going on to be taken down this early
There deer i shot this past year, didnt have any teeth, compared to this one. I dunno hard to say how old

·
Registered
634 Posts
From the looks of your snow depth I would say it's definitly not the reason why this buck got killed. I would say more then likely wrong place at the wrong time. Or possibly sick and worn out form the rut. May have been wounded also.

The snow in Prosser Brook area is 2 feet deep. I was out yesterday and the snow is above my knees in the woods. Puts lots of unneeded stress on the deer trying to recover body weight from the rut. Not good for old bucks and small deer

·
Registered
329 Posts
Coyotes can take a deer anytime if they have good running and there are several of them chasing it.

This time of year pups are big enough to help with the chase.

Be interesting to look at tracks and see how far they chased it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coyotes can take a deer anytime if they have good running and there are several of them chasing it.

This time of year pups are big enough to help with the chase.

Be interesting to look at tracks and see how far they chased it.
I got on the tracks yesterday to try and find the other shed, since it looks like it was an older drop, and the chase wasn't overly long. There must have been a fairly good number of coyotes, or else he was in rough shape.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Too many does for bucks to breed....hummmmm I'd say this buck was completely worn down from the rut trying to breed all those ladies.

If you still have access to the carcass, cut a cross section of the femur, or if you don't know how just bring in the whole leg in to DNR biology, to have a bone marrow analysis conducted to establish if this deer was healthy or not.

This, with the evidence you have, is your best bet.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Here's a similar result, smaller buck, one of 3 I know that the yotes got behind my house last winter. I'm declaring war on them this year...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts