New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single shot 16 gauge break action that won't open ,i used the gun all season without a problem and the last day of bird season i took a shot and now i can't even get the spent shell out. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
My buddy had the same problem with his 12gauge while he was firing my grandfathers 1940's or '50's shells. They did manage to get it open, and they found the problem was that the shell had expanded into the barrel and it was very difficult to get out. My best advice is to keep trying, and if you get it opened use pliers to pry out the shell. If the shell is the problem, try different ones.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a single shot 16 gauge break action that won't open ,i used the gun all season without a problem and the last day of bird season i took a shot and now i can't even get the spent shell out. anyone have any ideas?
Try a few cracks with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end forward...might help ya never know...
(cant hurt 4 shore)
If you do manage to get the hinge opened, use this method to remove the spent shell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i tryed what everybody said i did manage to get to open enought that i could see in alittle from what i could see it looks like the egector post is stuck under the firing pin housing

·
Registered
411 Posts
so i tryed what everybody said i did manage to get to open enought that i could see in alittle from what i could see it looks like the egector post is stuck under the firing pin housing
Try running boiling hot water over the receiver for a few minutes. This will loosen up any build up of crud from over the years, also it may expand the receiver enough to help let go what ever is stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts