New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a first year yote hunter,I put a dead calf out for biat and a few days later i had a hit on the biat except it started at the neck,my exsprience is the go for the hind quarters,tracks were in fluffy snow so hard to tell ex what it was but were the size of a yote, what do u guys think it might be

·
Registered
329 Posts
Probably 99 times out of 100 it will be a coyote to get there first.

Coyote will mostly stick to open terrain - follow the edges of a field or cut etc. to get to the bait and generally move in a rather direct fashion.

If the tracks meander through real tight places, it may be a cat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found it different for a coyote to go for the neck area instead of the hind end like ive seen them do,my baits been out for a week now and that was the only thing to touch it and that hasnt been back,crows will sit off in trees but wont come near it,its well of the road along the edge of a field were no one is around,I thought this would be a great spot but getting discuraged fast .

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Sponge, me and the boys tried this last year and had the same result
The concensus on here was that we should have cut the calf open for better results.
It sure wouldn't have hurt because we didn't do that and we had the same luck that you're having. It's too late for us now, so why don't you spill some of its guts and see what happens and let us know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just found it different for a coyote to go for the neck area instead of the hind end like ive seen them do,my baits been out for a week now and that was the only thing to touch it and that hasnt been back,crows will sit off in trees but wont come near it,its well of the road along the edge of a field were no one is around,I thought this would be a great spot but getting discuraged fast .
If the crows arent goin for the bait when your hunting, its because they can see you. coyotes will never show up if the crows arent eating it. ive had the same problem, i did i little more work on the blind, put up bug screen so the crows cant see me when im sitting in it, and now they land when im there. coyotes are coming to my bait now to, just a matter of me being there at the right time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts