New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a hunting season we all make some mistakes. I think it would be nice to learn from every hunters what they did wrong this year. That way we would all learn and not repeat those mistakes next year.

My biggest mistake this year was on our last morning. My friend decided to hunt his blind near 4 fresh scrapes and I told him that I would hunt the hardwood ridge near his blind (300 yards away). In order to get to the hardwood I have to go in the woods a 100 yards before his blind. I arrived there before him and decided to go in before he was set-up in his blind. What happened is I jumped a bedded deer a 100 yards from the trail and he went by the blind before my friend got there. I never saw if it was a buck or doe, just had a glimse at the tail. Lesson learn: Wait until everyone is in position before moving to a spot.

I hope you will share your experiences with us.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
my biggest mistake of the year was probably trying to call in early bow season. I seen it scare more deer then anything, Next year calls wont be taken out till the last 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got a good one. We have been chasing this buck know for a few years, and I remember my old friend rattling some big boys in and I thought, now's the time to give it a try.

I was set up about 200 meters from my hunting partner, hoping to get him a shot at the big guy. Well you guessed it, as he was about to squeeze the trigger,the dumb [email protected]$ ( ME )
STARTED RATTLING and the deer jumped into cover, never to be seen again. What are the odds??????

I feel sick, and will only rattle when I'm by myself. SORRY Steff.

·
Registered
115 Posts
my biggest mistake was not being ready while sitting in the stand. I was just relaxing trying to keep warm and dry in my stand when a nice buck stepped out 15 feet in front of me. I had to many things to do before he walked right past me. I forgot to take my sling off when in the stand which makes a squeek noise when it moves, I was wearing big winter mitts which cant shoot while wearing them, and was wearing a noisy rainsuit the plastic kind which squeeks everytime ya move. Next year I plan on being more prepared I just didn't expect to see any deer let alone a decent buck

·
Registered
263 Posts
My biggest mistake this season happened long before the season began. I was tying flies and trout fishing when I should have been getting access to and scouting better hunting property. I did not find a decent spot all season and thus, wasted my limited hunting time in unproductive areas.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would say my biggest mistake happened on the last day when i had been doing my usual still hunt method where i walk so many paces and then time myself usually 4 mins and move my next sequence.It had been working as i just prior had the two does and two fawns walk up from behind me as i stood my 4 mins.I usually step into the leaves on my tiptoes not to make such a large sound and it seems to resemble a deers walk quite well.As i stood on this nice little knoll looking down through these hardwoods with an ample amount of 6-10 foot high fir trees i think of how nice a bedding area it is and for some stupid reason my next walking sequence i stomp down off this knoll making enough noise to scare an elephant let alone the deer i here bounding off.Like i said in the team 1 topic it sounded like a large lone deer yet i didn't see it, probably a big buck. If i had continued the right way i may have seen it stand up or the deer may have got curious and walked towards me.Who knows

·
Registered
100 Posts
My biggest mistake was made on the evening of the opening day for archery season. I watched two does with their two fawns roaming a field, and they were being followed by my two target bucks (both really big mature deer 8 and 10 pt). I couldn't believe that I located my two target bucks on opening day!! The only problem was that I was at one corner of the field and they were 200 yards away in the opposite corner, and the wind wasn't in my favour.
This is my first deer season, my excitement took over, and for no good reason I started grunting at the deer. It got their attention and they started walking towards me, but I wasn't in a good position to take one of them (big time rooky). They closed in to about 80 yards and were still coming, but I wasn't in good cover and the wind wasn't in my favour, so I was scared that they would bust me and I'd never see them again. I decided to back off and try and set up in a better location the next day. After all it was opening day, and I had already located my target bucks...surely I would see them again, right?...WRONG!!!!
I spent many mornings and evenings on that same field, and I walked all over those woods looking for a sign of those bucks, but I never saw them again.
Why didn't I place myself in better cover before I grunted????? My excitement got the best of me and I made a huge mistake. Either of those bucks would have been legendary. Fortunately I live in an area that doesn't see much hunting...so I hope to see them again next year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm in the same boat as ARSENO. Had my cam taken too.

And, biggest mistake - not taking a shot at a big ten point buck because I saw a car stopped, looking at it. Could have legally fired, and stalled just long enough for the car to scare the buck of a lifetime away. Never saw him again all season.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I made a mistake this past season that I'll probably remember for awhile. If the same scenario occured again I'll make the same mistake all over again.
I got up late the second Monday of the season, had coffee and my morning smoke, and jumped in my truck, grabbing my hardshell case on the way out the door.Where I was heading was about an hours drive from home and it would be legal shooting time 20 minutes before I got there. I drove fairly fast trying to make up for oversleeping but legal time came and past without me realizing it until I noticed my headlights had turned off and the sun was peaking up over the horizon. I pulled into a church yard and uncased my rifle as the area I was approaching had a few fields I'd saw deer in on numerous occasions. I got back on the road and up to speed and a large deer jumped on the road in front of me. He hit the road twice and vanished down a sideroad. I eased up to where he'd crossed and looked to my left down the lane and there he stood, almost broadside. I stopped and looked, I could make out antlers, high above his head. I knew there was a mini home about 40 yards beyond him, hidden behind a cedar hedge. I reached for my binoculars from the backseat and he slowly stepped from the lane into the tall grass. I couldsdtill see the tops of his antlers when I stepped out with the binos and them he slowly made his way from site. I got back in my truck and got to my spot about 25 minutes late. I hunted the morning and had to get home as I had an appointment that I had to make.

That evening my wife's uncle came in for a visit and asked how the hunting was going and I told him about the buck and how lucky he was to be that close to a house. He asked me a few questions about where it was and as luck would have it, knew where I was talking about. He then informed me he knew the people that lived there and they had moved their mini home 3 months ago and the lot was for sale. I left quite early the next morning and stopped at the end of the lane hoping he was wrong. I couldn't see any lights so I drove down the lane. I turned in the empty lot, noticed the for sale sign with it's big white letters and phone number and went to my spot. I've felt stupid about what happened but I'm sure I'd do the same thing again.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My biggest mistakes were: Not feeding my stand in Coles Island frequently enough (1-1/2 hour drive one way) and my other stand was in the wrong location (1/2 hour drive from my house). Fell for the field where there were all kinds of tracks all year but never seen them during the day. Next year I will be in the woods with hopes of getting them before they get to the field (which will be a 1 + acre food plot next year). Heard someone saw a large 10 pt buck about 1/2 mile from the field I hunt. I have had 2 sets of large deer tracks but could never get them on cam. The big ones are still around, confirmed today by my dad as seen fresh tracks in the snow around the field. Only got a few does & fawns plus 2 sets of eyes that looked like they were big deer. Ah well, you live and learn. I will be able to bow hunt next year and will have a ground blind behind my house, strictly for bow hunting.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Better safe than sorry Sako...tough break.You did the right thing whereas some "hunters" would've shot him,house or no house....or played stupid and say they didn't know there was a house there if caught.Trophy buck or not,it's ONLY a deer for chrissakes...better than sending a high powered rifle round through some kid's bedroom.
X2, absolutely the right choice.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I almost wanted to turn the gun on myself after this one.

last Sunday afternoon,I hunted an area where there are always some good bucks roaming through.Basically,it's a triangular shaped tract of heavy spruce and fir thickets on a penninsula of sorts,app. 200 acres(?)extending into a marshland with an old overgrown farmstead and some apple trees near the point in the old alders.It has water on 2 sides of the triangle,and a 10 year old cut along most of the third side.My "plan" was to set-up just inside the treeline of the cut in some mixed forest with a decent view,overlooking a well worn deer trail,2-3 fresh scrapes,and do some rattling,hoping to intercept deer on their way to the apple trees which were 3-400 yards further out on the point.When I got there at 3pm,the wind was such that from the treeline my scent would blow out over the cut.Perfect for sitting in the treeline,but I was gonna rattle and mist and expected any deer to come from downwind across the cut.Soooo... instead of sitting in thside the treeline as originally planned,I set up on the edge of the cut.Great view of the cut and the expected approach,but I couldn't see into the trees due to the thick wall of firs on the edge.

5pm I started my 1st rattling set...wait a few minutes...repeat.5:15 I was into my 3rd sequence....getting dark fast...nothing happening,iron sighted muzzleloader,gonna lose my sights any minute.Wutdahell,I'm gonna have my 1st smoke in 2 hrs and when it's gone so am I.I just lit the damn smoke,took 2 puffs,and heard a deer coming fast from the wrong side...through the trees to my left.Squish the smoke...get ready..he's coming right out the trail I SHOULD HAVE been watching 50 ft inside the treeline.He came right to the edge of the cut,less than 25 yards away,snap...snap...snap....wind is swirly....whoosh...I hear him busting back through the trees,winded me and gone.

Oooooh...it get's worse.It's dark now,so I pack'er in.On my way home,a buddy calls my cell and the 1st thing outta his mouth is "Did ya get him?"...I'm thinking,"WTF?...how'd you know I almost got "him"?"
He and another bud were driving by at 5:10-5:15...in fact I heard them drive by...and crossing the road 300 yards from where I was sitting,was this massive buck that ran down into where I was rattling.They seen my truck and knew I was around there,but didn't know exactly where.It was too thick and too close to dark for them to bother trying to follow the buck.One fella said it was at least a BIG WIDE 10pt with great mass and tall tines.Later on,the other fella tells me that it was indeed the local monster that he's seen several times over the last two years and been on a quest to kill,he'd watched him back in September for 5 minutes up close,and he is a 14 point typical.

I hunted there again all day Monday with that guy,and the tracks in the muddy trail told the story.....huge tracks,he was only 2-3 steps away from stepping into the clear and taking a dirt nap when he busted me.IF I'd have only sat where I originally planned,50 ft. into the treeline instead of overanalyzing things,playing the wind for rattling and opting for the better view on the cut...he'd of been in my lap.Shoulda,coulda,woulda.....

another non-hunting local that I spoke to this sunday past confirmed that he is indeed 14pts and HUGE.He's also seen him several times,in fact,he seen him 3 times in the last two weeks and says you can set your watch by him,he's crosses that road around 5pm regularily.He seen him again on the last Thursday,right on schedule,5 ish,with 2 does in tow.Great time to tell me this,day after the season ends.

I think I'm gonna be sick now.

lesson learned:Hell yeah...do I EVER know where I'll be hanging a bow stand or three next October...hope he makes it through the winter.
I told ya they don't "always" come in from downwind. Sorry you didn't get him though...there is always next year, at least that's what I keep telling myself

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made a mistake this past season that I'll probably remember for awhile. If the same scenario occured again I'll make the same mistake all over again.
I got up late the second Monday of the season, had coffee and my morning smoke, and jumped in my truck, grabbing my hardshell case on the way out the door.Where I was heading was about an hours drive from home and it would be legal shooting time 20 minutes before I got there. I drove fairly fast trying to make up for oversleeping but legal time came and past without me realizing it until I noticed my headlights had turned off and the sun was peaking up over the horizon. I pulled into a church yard and uncased my rifle as the area I was approaching had a few fields I'd saw deer in on numerous occasions. I got back on the road and up to speed and a large deer jumped on the road in front of me. He hit the road twice and vanished down a sideroad. I eased up to where he'd crossed and looked to my left down the lane and there he stood, almost broadside. I stopped and looked, I could make out antlers, high above his head. I knew there was a mini home about 40 yards beyond him, hidden behind a cedar hedge. I reached for my binoculars from the backseat and he slowly stepped from the lane into the tall grass. I couldsdtill see the tops of his antlers when I stepped out with the binos and them he slowly made his way from site. I got back in my truck and got to my spot about 25 minutes late. I hunted the morning and had to get home as I had an appointment that I had to make.

That evening my wife's uncle came in for a visit and asked how the hunting was going and I told him about the buck and how lucky he was to be that close to a house. He asked me a few questions about where it was and as luck would have it, knew where I was talking about. He then informed me he knew the people that lived there and they had moved their mini home 3 months ago and the lot was for sale. I left quite early the next morning and stopped at the end of the lane hoping he was wrong. I couldn't see any lights so I drove down the lane. I turned in the empty lot, noticed the for sale sign with it's big white letters and phone number and went to my spot. I've felt stupid about what happened but I'm sure I'd do the same thing again.
I would do the same. There's no point taking a chance to shoot a deer near a residence. A few years back I was coming back from my hunting morning in my stand behind the house (10 min walk) and I saw a nice 10 pointers standing in the midlle of the trail 150 meters from my house. He stood there for at least 2 minutes looking at me and probably questionning himself why I was not shooting. My house was too close and never I would take a shot towards that direction. Safety is a must. I have four kids and a wife and I want to keep them alive.

I wish everyone would do the same.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My biggest mistake of the 2010 season was not adding enough onions/mushrooms to my canned deer meat..

I couldnt resist...LOL

·
Registered
925 Posts
My biggest mistake of the 2010 season was not adding enough onions/mushrooms to my canned deer meat..

I couldnt resist...LOL
that's cruel.........

Ridgerunner told me one evening how he forgot to put the clip in his gun that day. I kinda chuckled and wouldn't you know it I forgot my clip at home the very next day. I do carry extra bullets so at least I had one in the chamber.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts