New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here besides me think we should lower the legal age to hunt big game. I think that there should be a week set aside for youth only hunt for hunters 12+ with a mentor(adult with legal licence)for deer of any sex .And also a draw for a youth moose licence for a guided hunt with parent or guardian present. I think it would allow younger children the opportunity to hunt/ bond with their parents as well as enjoy the outdoors responsibly. All youths MUST complete a hunters safety/firearm saftey course but,,, could you imagine the difference it would make ,experience wise that these kids would already be seasoned vets come time that they are able to hunt on their own.If its treated like an apprenticeship where they are taught to be responsible hunters early on they will likely be very responsible when they are on their own. As for the moose draw for minors allow like 2 tags per zone and have it in a draw format, must be guided 1/2 paid for by the parents and 1/2 paid for by the govt. Parents not allowed to hunt as this is for the kid not the parent . I may be way off on this but i think it would be a good thing for everyone

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think its sad really. By the time the kids are allowed to hunt, they are already into something else. And dont wanna stop doing that to take up hunting. Unless there parents are avid hunters theres not much chance that they will be taking up the sport. Even if there parents are hunters its no garentee. I think a 12 year old should be able to hunt anything, including moose. As long as they are with a mentor, I dont see the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm all for lowering the legal age but not so sure about "special youth hunts" as you've proposed for antlerless deer nor am I a fan of Heritage Day.For one thing,an antlerless youth hunt opens the door for abuse by those that will play the system and grab the local paperboy for an excuse to go whack a doe,especially in this day and age where too many NBers seem to be desperate to "get their deer" by any and all means necesary.i've seen this almost exact scenario played out for Heritage Day on numerous occassions,wherein it's not even about the kids really,it's a loophole for some to get out and get the first crack at the ducks.There's no reason why a parent that seriously wants to introduce his kid to hunting can't take him along on Oct.1st,same as everybody else.Heritage Day has basically ruined Opening Day for myself and several others that traditionally hunted a particulair marsh that is known to be only really good shooting for the opener as a rule.For years and years it was a fantastic choice for the opener where one could blast their shoulder off Oct.1st,but you might be lucky to only fire 1/2 dozen shots Oct.2nd and afterwards.In a nutshell,you have 1 selfish local that never,ever hunted there to begin with until this HD thing came along,who always manages to find a kid to take for HD,essentially displacing the dozen or so other locals that have hunted the opener there for decades.You get one good crack at these staging ducks and that's basically it,and he's getting that crack 2 weeks before everyone else....then the hundreds of ducks that were ALWAYS around on Oct.1 are scared off,educated and gone.Meanwhile,on Oct 1st.,he's 40 miles upriver on the big marshes near Gagetown,same as he's always been on Oct.1,and enjoying a 2nd opener,blowing his shoulder out all over again.

I really don't see the need for HD,it's disruptive and inconsiderate of the rest of the hunting community imho.....and before you go labeling me a whiny biatch,consider how well your favorite duck marsh shoots on day 2 compared to the opener.It just aint the same,not even close,so why should such a small minority get to blast the hell outta the marsh and chase all the ducks off before everyone else,under the guise of "doing it for the kids"
Kids my a$$,it's greed and selfishness that was pitched and sold to the government as a "feel good initiative" by a few avid duckhunters looking to get the jump on everybody else.If you were that concerned about the kids,you'd bring them along Oct 1st like everybody else.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could have youth hunt after the season for deer ends,But i do see your point about abuse and how it would happen.I just think it would be great to see kids involved young.I would gladly give up my deer tag just to see my daughter get her first deer,but as she gets older she wont be nearly as interested as she is right now,before she gets interested in ..... boys, cant believe i just said that.blood pressure just went through the roof. lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kids for sure should be aloud to hunt when they are 12.
But maybe the stupidest thing of all, is you need to be 18 to hunt alone?
I got my Hunter's safety when I was 14, by the time I was 16 I knew enough about laws, ethics, and responsibility to hunt on my own.
Why is hunting so much more dangerous than driving a car? You can get your permit at 16, learn from your parents/ driving instructors for 8 months, then get your liscence and drive alone.
Why do kids that start at the age of 14 need 4 YEARS experience to hunt alone?
If they're so sketched out about letting kids use guns on their own, why not alow teens 16-17 hunt alone with a bow?

Thank god I can hunt alone this year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hawkenhunter, the only reason you're against the Heritage hunt is because you didn't do it as a kid
Was the funnest day of the year for me when I could do it. You get to learn about hunting, have ALOT of fun, and shoot your limit even if you're a 10% shot.
You say people want first crack at the ducks? Only 1 gun aloud on this day my friend, and it's to the kid.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Instead of having only a week long youth hunt I think we should just lower the age and let them enjoy the whole season.

I'm not keen on the idea of a guided youth moose hunt though. First with it being guided it could potentially put the hunt out of the reach of some youth due to financial cost and asking taxpayers to fund it might meet with a bit of opposition and second even though you suggested that it be only two tags per zone, I think it would be pretty hard to accept where some hunters have been waiting decades to get drawn.

I will say I am thankful though for the Heritage Day. I know that there are some out there that will take advantage of it but it gave both my son and daughter the opportunity to get hooked on duck hunting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will say I am thankful though for the Heritage Day. I know that there are some out there that will take advantage of it but it gave both my son and daughter the opportunity to get hooked on duck hunting.
Sorry WT,but you are wrong,wrong,and wrong again on all counts.1st of all,I've been tagging along on OPENING DAY duck hunts with my father and uncles since I was 8 years old and somehow managed to learn plenty about hunting and shooting well before I was 14 and actually "legal" to be shooting despite the fact that there was no special Heritage Day hunt at that time.2ndly,I can tell you for a fact that oftentimes the HD mentor and the kid takes turns shooting to "show him how it's done"..... and 3rd,one can indeed legally have a 2nd cased gun with them in the blind,a loophole some mentors are using to shoot at the same time as the kid.With the total lack of law enforcement out there,it's a wonder they don't have 4 guns on the go with the plugs removed.

In response to lovemylab's thankfulness,is there some reason your kids couldn't have gotten just as hooked on duck hunting just as easily without HD and waiting for the real opener like everybody else to bring them out?It seemed to work just fine that way for countless generations of hunters?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kids rarely have the choice of going out duck hunting on Oct 1st. With school Monday to Friday, and no hunting on Sundays, we get a 1/7 chance of getting the first crack at the ducks. HD falls on a Saturday so the kids get a chance to see what duck hunting can really be like. The first couple times I went duck hunting, I didn't even get a duck, it was getting old pretty fast. The next year my dad found out about HD and we went out. What a blast, lots of shooting. I'm now hooked on hunting, and HD has alot to do with it. We need more kids in the sport and what better way to do that then to set aside a day 2 weeks before the season and let them have at it.

·
Banned
174 Posts
I think its sad really. By the time the kids are allowed to hunt, they are already into something else. And dont wanna stop doing that to take up hunting. Unless there parents are avid hunters theres not much chance that they will be taking up the sport. Even if there parents are hunters its no garentee. I think a 12 year old should be able to hunt anything, including moose. As long as they are with a mentor, I dont see the problem.
Im only 17 and when I turned 6 in 2000 I started hockey and when I turned 8 (2002) that was the last deer season my dad ever hunted just because he didnt want to miss me play hockey on the weekends. in 2008 when I was 14 on thanksgiving day (sense my cousin and I are neighbours I went to his house for the day) and my uncle and his daughters boyfriends went on a tradition bird hunt for partridge and my cousin and I tagged along and I shot the 12 gauge just at a can as I never shot a gun besides a pellet gun before and right after that I fell in love. I went home and told my dad he needed to buy his deer lisence this fall after a few weeks of bagging he finally bought one on about the 2nd of deer season I believe. ( never got a deer but was great getting out sense the only ever time was when I was 6 and i went with him on a cold morning which I hated). The next spring I took my hunters safety course I turn 15 the day it ended. with out explaining the rest and to make this short after never actaully being raise around hunting cause its not often a kid 5 years old goes hunting, and how my dad never hunted from my ages 8-14 I was never hunted or even heard about it much but now since 14 I rather go on a afternoon deer hunt then go to my hockey game. So my point being there is ALWAYS hope! (and it wasnt even forced on me?) just thought I would say this whether it makes much sense

·
Registered
726 Posts
HawkenHunter do you jump up and down alot screaming "that's not fair" or do you lay on floor screaming it...Just curious.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ya as a avid duckhunter, Any body who says heritage day is a bad Idea is just being selfish. Sure if the people are abusing it thats a problem. But ive taken out a few young fellas here and there and I have nuthen but good to say about heritage day. Its a great way to introduce young people to the sport. Last year I took a fella out whose father deer hunts but not duck hunt. Well after that day the father was forced to take up duck hunting as the young fella had the time of his life.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm all for lowering the legal age but not so sure about "special youth hunts" as you've proposed for antlerless deer nor am I a fan of Heritage Day.For one thing,an antlerless youth hunt opens the door for abuse by those that will play the system and grab the local paperboy for an excuse to go whack a doe,especially in this day and age where too many NBers seem to be desperate to "get their deer" by any and all means necesary.i've seen this almost exact scenario played out for Heritage Day on numerous occassions,wherein it's not even about the kids really,it's a loophole for some to get out and get the first crack at the ducks.There's no reason why a parent that seriously wants to introduce his kid to hunting can't take him along on Oct.1st,same as everybody else.Heritage Day has basically ruined Opening Day for myself and several others that traditionally hunted a particulair marsh that is known to be only really good shooting for the opener as a rule.For years and years it was a fantastic choice for the opener where one could blast their shoulder off Oct.1st,but you might be lucky to only fire 1/2 dozen shots Oct.2nd and afterwards.In a nutshell,you have 1 selfish local that never,ever hunted there to begin with until this HD thing came along,who always manages to find a kid to take for HD,essentially displacing the dozen or so other locals that have hunted the opener there for decades.You get one good crack at these staging ducks and that's basically it,and he's getting that crack 2 weeks before everyone else....then the hundreds of ducks that were ALWAYS around on Oct.1 are scared off,educated and gone.Meanwhile,on Oct 1st.,he's 40 miles upriver on the big marshes near Gagetown,same as he's always been on Oct.1,and enjoying a 2nd opener,blowing his shoulder out all over again.

I really don't see the need for HD,it's disruptive and inconsiderate of the rest of the hunting community imho.....and before you go labeling me a whiny biatch,consider how well your favorite duck marsh shoots on day 2 compared to the opener.It just aint the same,not even close,so why should such a small minority get to blast the hell outta the marsh and chase all the ducks off before everyone else,under the guise of "doing it for the kids"
Kids my a$$,it's greed and selfishness that was pitched and sold to the government as a "feel good initiative" by a few avid duckhunters looking to get the jump on everybody else.If you were that concerned about the kids,you'd bring them along Oct 1st like everybody else.
Thats too funny. Maybe you could lobby government to not allow anyone else to hunt but you!! Most selfish statement i have ever heard. I think these heritage days are great and I hope they are expanded into other seasons. Including moose.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have 3 children 12,10 and 7.my 10 year old will probably be a hunter without too much convincing but the oldest and youngest might need a little convincing.if the age was lowered to 12 they could be involved in the hunt insted of just waiting for dad to shoot something they could do the shooting themselves and i would love to see them harvest thier first animal at a young impressionable age.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats too funny. Maybe you could lobby government to not allow anyone else to hunt but you!! Most selfish statement i have ever heard. I think these heritage days are great and I hope they are expanded into other seasons. Including moose.
Well apparantley South Bay on the SJR must be the only place in NB where you only get ONE decent day's shooting,that being opening day.Let me tell ya how it works.In September there's anywhere from 500-1000 resident and migrant ducks staging on the bay,with every cove and creek peppered with them.Normally,you get one good crack at them,Oct.1st,then it's basically over.They are gone,scared off,wary,educated,struck out for parts unknown...wutever?If you fired 3 boxes of shells opening morning,you're usually lucky to get 10 shots on day 2.It's a one shot deal,other than if you get lucky and hit some late season migrants in November,but what would I know,I've only been hunting there for 35 years.
EVERY single time that somebody guns the bay on Heritage Day....usually the same guy mentioned previously,the Oct.1st opener absolutely sucks!It's over before it started.In fact,the "opener" already happened 2 weeks previous,just that most everybody else missed it.So you tell me,who's the selfish one here?The dozen or more guys that wait anxiously every year for the real opener as they have for decades,or the guy that hunts there ONE day/year,two weeks before anybody else is allowed,blasts the hell outta the bay,scares of hundreds of ducks permanantly,ruins everybody else's opener,then laffs his azz off all the way to Gagetown for Oct.1st?Maybe it's different on the BIG marshes up river where there's hundreds of sq. km of marshland and thousands of ducks?Maybe HD doesn't affect the success rate up there..I dunno?I'm just tellin ya what it does to South Bay.This guy has been told over and over what happens and how it works,he's well aware of it.He knows damn well that South Bay is an opening day blastathon and then it's basically over,but he doesn't seem to care about anybody else,so long as his crowd has their fun on HD and then head upriver for the 1st....and screw everybody else.So again I'll ask,who's the selfish one here?

Truth is,I could really care less about ducks these days and haven't bought a bird stamp since my dog died a few years back,but I plan to get back into it in the near future if only for my boy's sake since it's such a fast action,bang bang,shoot'em up fun hunt,and likely a big part of how I became hopelessly addicted to hunting myself.Definately something I beleive mine and yours and every other aspiring young hunter should experience.But my point is,you don't need a special day set aside for it,anymore than previous generations of hunters did,and especially when that "special day" comes at the cost of effectively ruining dozens of other hunters enjoyment of the opener.If you wanna take your kid hunting,just do it for chrissakes.Bring them to the duck camp,let them experience the REAL opener,yank them outta school if you have to,what's the big deal?What are they gonna miss for a day?Next week they won't remember what they learned in school today but they'll remember the days that they got to skip school to go hunting with Dad for the rest of their lives.It's called spending quality time with your kids.If you need a special day set aside for that because in reality you're too selfish to suffer the inconvenience of bringing the kid along because it's "Dad's time" and it might infringe upon your opening day hunt and getting drunk with the boyz back at the duck camp,then you're the pathetic ones,not me.Don't be pretending you're all noble and doing the HD thing for the kids because it's so important to introduce them to hunting and all this other BS,because the reality of it is,for the most part the HD mentors are hardcore duckhunters that live,breathe and love duck hunting but not neccesarily kids.The only reason they are out there is their own selfish ambitions to hunt at all costs,and the kids just help justify it and help give everyone an "awe,isn't that nice" warm,fuzzy feeling.They run around the neighbourhood in September scrambling for a kid to take out because they're afraid they might miss something.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The only difference is after first day ya gotta go where the ducks are. I shoot ducks all season, And I dont mean the odd one. Actually our last hunt of the year was a 4 man limit on mallards and blacks. So I say if your not having luck after opening day its because your not putting the effort into it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ive personally never fired a shot on heritage day. I take out young people who dont have the opurtunity to go. I dont see the harm in it. Every year Ive taken a someone out it was fast paced with lots of shots, And I dont just take em to any ole spot, I sit them rite down into my opening day honey hole. But like yoy say I dont know about south bay, but it doesnt effect us one bit up here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ive personally never fired a shot on heritage day. I take out young people who dont have the opurtunity to go. I dont see the harm in it.
Again,maybe it does no harm where you hunt,but it certainly does there.

Just curious,aside from Heritage Day,how many "disadvantaged youths" do you normally take out duck hunting throughout the season out of the goodness of your heart?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts