New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well I finally made it out to Zone 12 to do some scouting all day on Friday. NOT impressed at all. Not sure if it's because it's a dry summer or what but there wasn't many tracks. Travelled up the Blissfield road and across the Bartholomew river then over near Little Mcgraw brook. Any decent spots that seemed to be a potential hunting spot all had signs stating 2010 moose hunt. Everything else wasn't worth hunting. New small cleacuts off the main road and many cuts have been sprayed just a few weeks ago. Not Good!

Then we headed over to the Dungarvon River road and saw about 60 salmon of all sizes laying in the pool below the bridge. Drove that road all the way over to Dungarvon Lake area. Headed over to the King Brook road and all the way up to the Holtville road. Again any decent spots had signs and kilometers of other areas not worth even trying in my opinion unless you are driving and hunting.

Went down just about every forestry road branching off these roads looking for a good spot and saw very few tracks. Just the odd set. Came across somewhat of a better area over near King brook rd about halfway through and somebody had a Moose 2010 sign posted on a main road that has a cluster of camps over near Brook Lake. Not sure what this BoZo is trying to prove but claiming he is hunting several kilometers of road and every cutting road off of that is ridiculous. I hope he gets into the biggest turf war he's ever gotten. Lots of huntable area around there and the most moose tracks we saw. But maybe several hunting parties from the cluster of camps is claiming they own it. Not worth the headache to even bother with that spot.

I put a sign up stating Brock Lesner Moose 2010.

Branched off the King Brook rd a few times and circled down towards the North Bartholomew only to come out back on the Holtville rd. Lots of sprayed cuttings with no feed and many new sprayed cutting just this month.

Drove back through on the road south of the Dungarvon river and back towards Shakey Lake and all the way towards trail 58 to bring us out to Blissfield.

For a zone that I have been told by many hunters they never see anybody when hunting, well something doesn't make sense to me. Way to many signs at any half decent spot. How could you not see other hunters????

All in all we need to start over and check out a different area. We saw 2 bear, 3 deer and 3 moose. 2 of the moose were not in Zone 12.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well, the Brock Lesnar should work.LOL...If the areas are all taken or sprayed find a mature hardwood ridge near some lakes and take one of the biggest bulls out of there buy still hunting while calling..

·
Registered
634 Posts
I know dam well there are not that many guys hunting in all those spots. Idiots putting up several signs waiting until the day before to decide where they are going. I've been moose hunting for years but this sign B.S. is ridiculous and getting worse.

Unless they have a camper or are parked in there hunting I say it's fair game.

Hoytman - the paxil? is that for your multiple personalities or are you in some sort of depression?
Must be getting tired of writing in the Crossbow topic eh?

·
Registered
192 Posts
If they would lenghthen Moose season I am sure that it would put an end to the BS that goes with having a 3 day season. It certainly takes away from the pleasure of getting your name drawn. We put on 100 km's on the quads yesterday and never saw a sign posted. I don't know what is up with that.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Bucknut, sounds like you are scrambling a bit to find a spot. My recommendation would be to scout areas away from the camp clusters as much as possible. Jump on the air photos and start from there. If you have a GPS then great, but if you don't then get a backwoods map book. Mark all of the older roads and cuts. The best moose country will not be an easy drive and you will not get to check out a lot of spots, but you should be able to check out a few quality spots in one scouting trip. Do you have any buddies that salmon fish the Renous/Dungarvon area? That can be a starter for good spots. I recommend trying to get yourself "lost" over on the southside of the Renous River
. Lots of good ground over there and definitely out of the way. You want something that is off the main roads. Even side roads off of the main roads can get hunted hard, just by the sounds of it you may have hit a lot of those already without much luck. If the road goes for a long ways and doesn't really loop back on to another main road you should have some luck. If you are in dire straits I can be paid in moose sausage for a few spots. OK OK ... I am joking, but I do like moose sausage! Water is key right now. They are hanging pretty close to it these days. Anticipate that things can change if we get a pile of rain, which can happen, they will likely move back up the side hills and be into the hardwood browse more so than they are likely to be right now. Good to have both options covered either by the same general area or different spots.

I realise this is basic and kind of coarse info but I refer to the basics any time I take on new ground. Also, I know that area pretty good and camp clusters = pressure. Good luck!! Did I mention I like moose sausage?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hoytman - It pains you to hear the above comment? Well in my opninion these guys are Bozos and Idiots if they put up several signs or post a sign thinking they are going to hunt exclusively several kilometers of roads and cuttings.

And wishing turf wars on these guys is exactly what they deserve. Anybody that thinks they own crown land or have exclusive rights to large parcels of land because they lease a lot from the government and have a camp is exactly how turf wars start.

I'm pretty certain I will find my Happy place. Just need to put some time in. Getting a nice bull on the other hand is depencent on weather and hunting pressure.

Water runner - thanks for the tips. I am in the process of checking out the aireal photos and have all the map books along with a really good GPS that plugs in to 12 volt on my ATV. I've done exactly what you mentioned in the past. I was really surprised to see so many signs up with little moose sign. I have in the past and will print out several photos together and cover the area on bike. I agree 100% to getting off the main roads and in deep. Also avoiding the camp clusters since if they aren't hunting tney will either screw it up driving around seeing if someone got a moose and calling all over the place for fun in a few weeks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
x2 on the signs bucknut - we don't use them in the country I hunt over here ( not on freehold ground - they are banned by AT, but they are all over crown land) - If someone put up a sign in one spot and hunted it - fine, but alot of guys are putting up signs in 4 or 5 places, and it really throws a #$%^6 into your scouting, and hunting. I'm not saying all are doing it, but some definitely are. They aren't necessary, you just need to use respect when your hunting - if someones set up somewhere calling, stay out of there. We usually park a pickup at the mouth of the road, and anyone comes along they know someones set up in there, and most stay away. It works fine here. People who "post" way more ground than they can ever hunt cause more problem than they prevent.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the lack of sign - Im out every day, and there arent many moose moving around in this heat, so you wont see much for sign on the roads. You wait a week or two, things cool off, the bulls start hooking and travelling. You'll find sign then. Not much to see right now.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would never let a sign keep me from hunting a piece of crown land. Take the sign and shove it up your ass is what I say.

·
Registered
255 Posts
LMAO NBG...How does it go signs signs have to have a mebership card lmao...Although I do put up a sign it is one sign only and if some one wishes to hunt beside me well it is crown land just stay out of my blind lmao...I have seen this years were a couple people have claimed about 5km of roads themselves... i do find that very funny... A sign IMO is just a curtisy to show others that there is someone hunting there not to claim land...but again stay out of my BLIND lmao
have a good moose hunt all I'm guiding in zone 20 and hopeing for a another good year...
Cheers
Bam

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
LOL, took me a few looks to see that Bam. LOL

---------------------------------------------

"I would never let a sign keep me from hunting a piece of crown land. Take the sign and shove it up your ass is what I say."
"I like that, short and to the point! LOL

----------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1 Posts
If they would lenghthen Moose season I am sure that it would put an end to the BS that goes with having a 3 day season. It certainly takes away from the pleasure of getting your name drawn. We put on 100 km's on the quads yesterday and never saw a sign posted. I don't know what is up with that.
I wrote into dnr just the other day and this was the response i got "The number of moose licences available is not equal to the number of moose that can be harvested. Instead, it is the number of licences needed to achieve the desired moose harvest, given the average hunter success rate in recent years. The Department of Natural Resources has examined the potential effect of increasing the length of moose season, and has determined that because hunter success rates would increase, the number of licences available would have to decrease to compensate and keep the moose harvest sustainable. For example, increasing the moose season to 6 days long would require a licence quota reduction of almost 1000 licences. This lowered licence quota with a longer season would still result in the same moose harvest we currently take with the 3 day long season. Because of the high demand for moose hunting licences among New Brunswick hunters, we believe this type of decision would be very unpopular. The current 3 day long season provides a greater opportunity for people to be successful in the licence draw, and still provides a high success rate for hunters (about 70% of hunters are successful).

I replied stating that some people only get thier licence once in their life maybe twice so why not give them a reasonable chance to fill their tag,and also suggested to do a survey to ask these sort of questions then fix the problems.Oh buy the way if everyone of those 1000 hunters had a designated hunter that would be about 170 000 dollars in revenue.

Department of Natural Resources / Ministère des Ressources naturelles

Fish and Wildlife Branch / Direction du Poisson et de la faune

Telephone: 506-453-2440

Fax: 506-453-6699

Jenny Lea Hodgson

Draws Administrator/Administratrice des tirages

Fish & Wildlife/Direction du poisson et de la faune

Tel/Tél : (506) 453-7121

Email/Courriel: [email protected]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Frenchy, that is basically the same response I got last year. They told me that they were trying to maintain a 65 - 66% success rate. I agree with you in that they should poll the hunters and see what the hunting community would be in favour of. Not likely to happen but it would be good if they did.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
BuckNut, drop me a private email and I will be happy to share with you some secluded spots that hold tons of moose in WMZ 12, within 20-30kms of where you were, readily accessible. There is a lot of moose in WMZ 12...

I know most of the area like the back of my hand, and from one fellow hunter to another well,,,,if we can't help each other out, well....what's the point eh???

I'm hunting in another WMZ this year, but I could point you in the right direction to save on gaz and mileage on your truck lol!

Good luck with your 2010 hunt. I just played around with a young bull again tonite, wife got it all on video, 7 yards and closing.....life is sweet!

The velvet is peeled off,their balls are swollen up, my dad's trigger finger is starting to itch and I'm having the time of my life LMAO!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Bucknut the potential of those sprayed areas might surprise you and could be worth a second look.We already have our 2 spots set to go in zone 22[2 licences] but were out every couple of nights cruising the back roads checking things out.There are a couple of large cuttings up in there that were sprayed earlier in the summer that are loaded with moose sign.On top of all the tracks in these sprayed areas,in the last 6 days we have seen a cow with a calf and a nice bull by himself.As for putting signs up,we did post our spots the same day the licences came out because they were pre scouted.One is a 250 yrd bike trail that goes into a secluded bog the other is 300yrd "dead end" road with a small cutting at the end of it.These signs are not there to say that we own the land or to start an argument.They are there to clarify that if someone comes into either of these 2 spots things are going to get really crowded and confusing.[too many hunters too many callers etc.]Honestly there are enough woods for thousands more hunters out there,just have to do the homework.I will say i have run into situations where someone will post several roads and several cuttings over a large area using different names [this was proven to actually happen]I don't agree with that practice at all and can see how that would make for a tough situation and cause bad blood.Anyway thats my two cents, hope ya find a decent spot and have a good and successful hunt.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Frosty they dont spray early in the summer. If it looks sprayed it was likely done last year. If it doesnt look sprayed but has the signs guys might be planting spray signs. A very common practice in zone 22 where there are few spots with moose. If it was sprayed this year the leaves should still be showing some signs of life but shriveling up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Frosty they dont spray early in the summer. If it looks sprayed it was likely done last year. If it doesnt look sprayed but has the signs guys might be planting spray signs. A very common practice in zone 22 where there are few spots with moose. If it was sprayed this year the leaves should still be showing some signs of life but shriveling up.
Yeah 4evr it really doesn't show any indicaction of being sprayed ,just the spray signs appeared there all the sudden on the road so you could be right about somebody planting them.Pretty sad if that's the case.At least it won't be affecting our hunt any.thanks for the info anyway.By the way, when does spraying usually take place?

·
Registered
925 Posts
They always seem to spray at the end of August. Just when you think you found a moose haven with tons of browse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts